1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what makes someone 'look' gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by alex3191, Jul 25, 2014.

1. alex3191

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm asking because no matter if im seen as male or female people always assume im gay. Today i was out walking and passed a group of guys who must have thought i couldn't hear them because i was wearing headphones but had no music playing, anyway the first guy says to his friend "hey, look at him", second guy looks at me and says "he's gay! First guy "definitely!. Now im thinking what is it about me that makes people think that? I was wearing jeans and a dark red hoodie, my hair is kinda long in the front and my face is not obviously male or female. I think i look like an average person but there seems to be something about me that makes people assume im gay and i don't know what it is! Anyone else have this problem? Or any ideas what it could be? I really want to do something about this because the last time this happened i was followed most of the way home by some guy shouting about how he wants to kill fags in the town. I'm worried i could be attacked because this isn't the first time something like that has happened, i seem to just provoke homophobes on sight but don't know why :frowning2:

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nothing makes you look gay. People are just so keen on pissing their shit everywhere.

If you're outwardly male, people will start calling gay if you:

- have long hair
    - have a feminine face
    - have a high voice
    - wear tight clothes
    - like 'girly' things
    - walk 'like a woman'

(ugh....)

If you're outwardly female:

- have short hair
    - have a masculine face
    - have a low voice
    - wear baggy clothes
    - like 'boyish' things
    - walk 'like a man'

Do you see the pattern?

Of course, this is all stupid stereotypes.

I'm sorry you're targeted. You mentioned someone threatening to kill you? Can you report that to the police the next time it happens?

3. Candace

There is no one universal set of guidelines for what is considered gay. It's just that we have ideals where "guys should dress/act like this" and "girls should dress/act like this". If we fall out of these constructs or *gasp* act differently than the "norm" of our respected gender, then people quickly assume that we're gay or just plain weird. It's terrible, I know.

Please tell the police about what happened. That's really not cool at all!

4. edgy

edgy Guest

For a guy....

Perfection

5. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For a guy, when he's passionately kissing another guy. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Seriously though, I'm sorry for the harassment you've experienced. That is inhumane.

When I see people, men and women, I think some of them might be gay just by their looks and or mannerisms. I think generally it's when guys dress fashionably and look sharp and neat, but unfortunately too many straight guys do that too. For women I think short hair and sturdy bodies make me consider they might be lesbians. That's the best I can explain why I think some people might be gay just on first impressions. Of course I know those are stereotypes and they often prove not to be true. There is a great variety to how we look and that is good because my type probably isn't your type so we all can find the right one for us.

6. BreezyB

I have the same problem too. People sometimes ask me if im a boy or girl also. I guess the thing is that if you aren't fully gender conforming than people assume you must be somewhereon the lgbt+ spectrum

7. It's a stereotype but wearing fitted clothes even if you're not buff. I'm actually guilty of that, but it's part of the "East Asian Hipster style."

This is why I call it a stupid stereotype because a third of the guys at my school wear that kind of style and if people think that's gay, then that's pretty cool. A third of the guys at my school must be gay, right?

#7 anthonythegamer, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
  8. confuseduser99

Haha! I'm guilty of that stereotype too. Many straight guys however dress this way. I shop a lot at A&F, AE, and Hollister, and they're clothes are rather tight. It's a terrible stereotype, but hey, guys look better in tight clothing :wink:

Also, I too have been targeted. Even when I was deeply closeted (and homophobic) and pretended to act as "straight" as possible, people thought that I was gay. I don't get it. Maybe my mannerisms? Again, a stereotype, but I apparently play into that one as well.

9. Mino

For me, mostly other gay or bi people seem to think of me as gay, even at the time I was closeted and repressed.
    It's probably because of certain stereotypes (some of which can be true for some people and some not for others) which mainly circle around gender roles and stereotypes and all the gender coding that goes on (which means boys do this and girls do that).

Maybe you should ask a friend who knows about you why he thinks that is. I remember a lesbian friend of mine, telling me I was so butch, she was surprised I could like cute stuff (and I do have long hair). I'd never thought of me like that.
    So maybe ask someone.
    Other than that, threats like that are no laughing matter. Keep safe.

10. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In my experience, most of the gay guys I've seen act very flamboyantly and feminine. I'm not saying that this is a correct way of telling whether a guy is gay or not, it's just how it's always turned out for me.

11. scub

that is flawed though. most masculine guys i have encountered are actually gay. i have noticed this especially at my gym. tons of closeted gay very macho-like gays. i know this because apparently i've been told by a few people that i am quite attractive (i am masculine myself) and i find myself being starred at quite often by these "macho" guys. it's a feeling i get that i am being starred at rather than just looking at someone. most of the time as i glace around i find these guys just starring which they obviously quickly look away when they see they were noticed looking. this has happened countless times to me.

if i had to guess there are TONS more masculine macho-like acting guys that are gay than there are feminine gay. for every gay fem guy you see, there are probably 3-5 macho-like guys in the background :wink:

#11 scub, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  12. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Based on what I've experienced: If a man has an effeminate voice and/or effeminate mannerisms.

With me, I've been accused of being gay for being a "female" who happened to be tomboyish.

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The bad news is, if people are picking up that you're gay, it's because you're tripping their gaydar.. most likely because you are, in fact, attracted to men (judging from your orientation label.)

The arguably equally bad news is... trying to suppress or hide it is only going to make matters worse. When gay (or bi) people try to deny they're gay and try to "hetero up" their responses, the result is almost always a dismal failure, and usually simply makes it more obvious (See the scene in Birdcage where Nathan Lane attempts to act straight.)

So the best thing is to be yourself, and work on loving and accepting who you are. It will save you a lot of stress and anxiety, and it will avoid drawing even more attention to yourself.

14. 741852963

I don't think you can normally tell.

However I do think some more femme guys have a facial "posture" that can lead people to think they are more feminine, and then going off stereotypes deduce they are gay. I don't think this is a genetic thing, just assumed expressions and body language perhaps adopted by subconsciously mimicking female friends?

An example. In this photo actor Andrew Rannels has more of a neutral facial expression. I wouldn't know if he was gay or straight based on seeing him there.

However in this photo to me he looks more feminine, probably from the highly arched brows, fully open eyes, full flash of teeth. Its kind of a very surprised look, and I think women tend to be a bit more expressive with their whole face hence why we infer femininity.

Its just one of those things, like posture, how people walk, talk, accents etc. I think these things tend to be just something people pick up from people around you. Nothing wrong with it. We all have our differences. :slight_smile:

15. Mino

Does it mean if you trip someone else's gaydar you're probably at least bi?
    Could it be, you unconsciously try to appeal to the same sex?
    (Unconciously if you're closeted or in denial.)

16. Madgoddess

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No one thinks I'm anything but straight, so XD

And I apparently have no gaydar?

17. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bigots make people "look gay"

18. Hexagon

Getting with someone of the same gender.

19. confuseduser99

While not all gay people fall into certain stereotypes, or exhibit any typical "gay traits", I sure do. Chip is 100% right. Acting straight, or "manning up" isn't worth it. It has only caused me stress, loneliness, and regret. I should have accepted myself sooner. I would have been MUCH happier than I am now.

20. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

"Looking gay" solely depends on cultral views.

What "looks gay" in one country looks straight in another.