1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Money issues...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by drwinchester, Jul 26, 2014.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

So I guess the deal is, I'm entitled to child support from my biological father while I'm in school. Since I'm over 18, in school, and no longer supported by my mother, I'm legally entitled to that money, which is a pretty good chunk of change and enough to cover living expenses and school for the time being.

However, my mother's always taken that money and has since she was legally entitled to it. And yeah, she needed the money. With as many kids in my family, 6 including me, that income definitely improved our quality of life.

I'm barely making it as it is. Sure, since I live with another relative, my room, board and food are all covered but even the expenses I do have, my income barely covers.

That child support was there for my brother and I, since we had the same father. And so long as we stayed in school, my biological father would still be paying. So I almost feel like the only reason my mother ever wanted me going to college was so my mother still get child support. I even remember before term, asking if I could just wait until winter term to enroll since that would give me time to prepare the financial aid information, but my mother basically said "no, fall term or nothing". And I don't regret starting school then, but I didn't have time to get financial aid information in before term and I didn't get my aid until the middle of term.

I get no financial support from my mother for anything. She's never slid a dollar in my direction towards school. I'm lucky that aid's covered everything, honestly. I don't live with her- right now I'm living with my grandmother in a spare room- and yet, I'm still listed under her insurance, her household, I'm still her dependent.

In fact, I need to reapply for financial aid for this school year and I have yet to get my mother's financial information. She keeps making excuses for why she won't sit down and help me file the paperwork.

That child support would be enough to help cover my expenses so far, school, and supplement living expenses for when I move out on my own, which I need to do in the next few months. I'm going to have to look for a new job anyway, since even considering I'm working two jobs, I'm really not making enough to live on.

This is really stressing me out, honestly. I need that money but if I claim it, then my mother's going to get after me. My mother doesn't work. She's supporting 4 young children. I feel like total shit about the fact that without this child support, she'll have to find some other means to support the kids but honestly, is what she doing even legal?

:\

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Bump... Seriously, perspective would be really fucking nice. How do I get this money? Is this legal? Why do I feel like a dick wanting the money?

3. Data

Data Guest

I wouldn't feel like a dick. You're supposed to better yourself, secure your future. If this money would help you so much, it isn't greedy. Needs are different from wants. If you're living off the kindness of your relatives, extra income is worth fighting for.

The moral dilemma is, it feels like ultimately taking the money away from your siblings.

At this point in time, she gets the money and you get nothing. You could get the money going to you, use what you NEED, and give her the rest. That isn't selfish or greedy IMO, that's mature and thoughtful.

I don't know how you'd go about getting it or if you can do that, but if you can, those are my thoughts.

4. scub

sadly this is why the child support system is so flawed, it's abused and use the wrong way. there are tons of mothers demanding money from the father side and even seeking to put them in jail if they don't pay (i've seen it happen in my family through my cousins, not me directly), yet the kids typically never see any of the money. IMO, after a certain age, the checks should be written to the kids..

yes what she is doing is illegal if you aren't seeing any of the money (clothes, food,etc).. i guess if you really wanted you could get your mom in trouble, but would you really want to? my advice is try to be on your own as soon as possible despite how hard it is, sometimes it's better to go push yourself to find a job and be independent.. it helps in he long run.

#4 scub, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014