1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new job at my church

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CharlesFP, Jul 26, 2014.

1. CharlesFP

limerick PA About 1 hour from Philadelphia
    Having read the sticky post about religion I'm going to try my best not to start a posting war.

I've been volunteering at my church for a while now without coming out, not because I don't want to, but because simply it hasn't come up. My church just offered me a job as the assistant media director making 10.68 an hour and I'm wondering if I should come out before I take the job. I go to a United Methodist Church and they invite all walks of life to worship in their church, but their official website states that homosexuals my not serve the church. The particular church that I serve is much more progressive than most, and doesn't seem like they would follow the bi-laws of the official church.

I'm just weary about putting myself out there with the possibility of being unable to volunteer at my church anymore, because I've made so many friends there.

Any suggestions?

2. tulipinacup

I think you need to know more about the Church's background. Try asking someone there on what they think of homosexuality but ask this in a subtle way. Basing from your out status, does your family go to the same church?