1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at work? Yay or nay...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CharlesFP, Jul 26, 2014.

1. CharlesFP

limerick PA About 1 hour from Philadelphia
    Having read the sticky post about religion I'm going to try my best not to start a posting war.

I've been volunteering at my church for a while now without coming out, not because I don't want to, but because simply it hasn't come up. My church just offered me a job as the assistant media director making 10.68 an hour and I'm wondering if I should come out before I take the job. I go to a United Methodist Church and they invite all walks of life to worship in their church, but their official website states that homosexuals my not serve the church. The particular church that I serve is much more progressive than most, and doesn't seem like they would follow the bi-laws of the official church.

I'm just weary about putting myself out there with the possibility of being unable to volunteer at my church anymore, because I've made so many friends there.

Any suggestions?

2. mangotree

Would coming out allow you to help/support other LGBT people in the Church?
    Would it help you to do your job better if you were out?
    If they didn't accept it - what options have you got?
    What would happen if you accepted the job and then came out afterwards?

3. IceKunoichi

Well That is a tricky subject,Do you know any of your friend's views on homosexuality from the church?Have they ever really talked about it in the church?I say that if the church is a big part of your life and you are going to put more time into it then I would come out.But that is just me. Ultimately if you are comfortable with it then do it.

4. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They can't decimate volunteers based on orientation so I don't think they can. Just remember they need you more than you need them. It's up to you tho.

5. ZeroDarkness

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly, unless you really feel the need to, then I wouldn't. If it comes up then you don't have to lie, but bringing it up out of nowhere might cause problems. I'm not 100% sure how it works, but I know some states in the U.S. have laws prohibiting firing someone or treating a worker poorly because of race/religion/gender/sexuality. Again, not sure if it applies to your specific situation, but I think it's generally not okay to deny someone a job if they are gay. Again, I'm no expert in state laws and such, I just know I've heard that being a thing. Whichever you choose, good luck! ^_^

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Knowing how blue Pennsylvania is and is turning, I'm sure that they have a nondiscrimination law for LGBT workers. I say go for it.