1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If someone asks you if you have a bf/gf, so you use it as a coming out opportunity?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by the haunted, Jul 26, 2014.

1. the haunted

If you are a gay woman and someone (this could be a coworker or acquaintance) asks you if you have a boyfriend do you personally use this as an opportunity to come out?

Do you simply say "no"? "No, I prefer women"? "No, I have a girlfriend"?

Switch the gender if you are a gay man. Same questions.

Just curious to see what the folks of EC do in this situation. :rolle:

2. Morning Comes

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: If someone asks you if you have a bf/gf, so you use it as a coming out opportunit

Yes, I do. It's always somewhat satisfying challenging heteronormative questions, haha.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Re: If someone asks you if you have a bf/gf, so you use it as a coming out opportunit

Not really I just say I'm not seeing anyone .

4. idream

idream Guest

That could be an oppertunity. That reminds me of a scene from the new sherlock on bbc where they're out to eat and john asks if sherlock has a girlfriend and when he says no, asks if he has a boyfriend. Such a lovely scenecx

5. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Typically I just answer honestly. This happened to me last night (see "That Awkward Moment When...) and I tried to laugh it off as a joke without having to say, "I don't have a boyfriend but I wouldn't mind one."

6. Vampire

Not really, no. I did it twice (I think), but usually I just say I'm single. *shrug*

Lots of love,
    Andy

7. thekillingmoon

Not yet, but I was thinking of doing that. It's a good way to come out without making a big deal out of it.

8. 741852963

Meh, just have fun with it. The people that ask are usually unnecessarily prying I find.

"Do you have a girlfriend?"
    "Yes, but she died in a freak accident involving a stampede of rhinoceroses..." *looks away wistfully* "...I don't wish to talk about it any more". :grin:

9. Julieno

I have realized that that kind of thing work wonders for me.. I am completely out and do not care much what people think about it. The important people already know it.

So, since that kind of conversation comes u very often is an easy way to let people know in a non forced context. Besides people don't make a bit deal of it if you don't.A t least in my experience...

I think if you are out is both healthier and more practical to let the people around you know.

10. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Not at work as I am new there and I don't know what to expect yet. I've never been asked yet though. I'm not comfortable enough to say it at work yet.

11. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I think it always depends on the person that asks.
    When I trust this person I would come out...maybe.

12. TheStormInside

I must ping gaydar every so often, because I've been asked that question as well (though in reverse, of course). I also enjoyed that scene :slight_smile:

I'm not really out, but once all the people who matter to me know I don't think it's something I plan to hide. However, it is still my business. So it'd probably depend on who was asking, and why, as to whether I elaborated or simply said "no."

13. Pax

Pax

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Depends who is asking. I often say something like "No, and I don't want a man." I think the implication usually goes over people's heads, but it amuses me anyway.

14. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I would use it as a coming out opportunity, saying that I wouldn't be sure what gender my partner will end up being, but I have nobody now. That being said, I'm so visibly not straight that almost nobody asks me this question.

15. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

If it's my family, I just say "No, I don't" and leave it at that. I was single for a long time before I met my girlfriend so they're pretty used to it anyway. Doesn't stop them from asking every Christmas. If it was someone outside of my family and I trusted them, I'd tell them I have a girlfriend instead.

16. julianne

Usually! I'm slowly coming out to everybody, so if someone (outside of my family) asks I usually tell them about my girlfriend. I also throw the phrase "my girlfriend" into conversation as much as possible. It's such a natural and causal way to come out!

17. Candace

Oh yessss! I always say "I'm dating someone. He and I have been together for 2 years" and that gives them a chance to scratch their heads in confusion and ask :lol:.

18. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

This is how I came out to my best friends, I came back home from college and they asked if I met any cool guys and I was like UH UH UHHHH well i am i, i am hella gay and they asked if i met any cool girls then <:

if i dont think they would react that well i just say no.... or the one time i was pushed and said i was asexual :v oh wrll

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

If you can trust the person, it sounds like an excellent way to broach the subject! :grin:

20. kwyjibo

I've done something kind of like this once or twice.

Guy at school: "So have you tried to get off with [very good-looking female foreign exchange student yet]?"
    Me: Nope
    Guy at school: "Why not?"
    Me: "She's fourteen and I'm gay"
    Guy at school: "What, but, no you're not... (wanders off, confused)"