1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about Transgenders?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MissRanger, Jul 27, 2014.

1. MissRanger

MissRanger Guest

Hi, I have a few questions regarding transgenders. I've never met a transgender in real life so I hope someone who knows a bit about them can enlighten me.

1.What do you mean when you say you are born into the "wrong body"? I'm not a transgender so I can't really relate to that feeling. I'd appreciate if anyone describe what it's like to be in a "wrong body".

2. Let's say you are a transgender woman but you are still attracted to females would you describe your "sexuality" as straight (since you are born male by birth) or a lesbian?

3. Are cross dressers also transgender?

My intention is not to offend anyone and I'm sorry if they come off as 'ignorant'. Thank you for your time answering these questions. :grin:

2. Hexagon

*transgender people

1. A transgender person's gender (psychological and social) is different to the sex they were assigned at birth. It's more nuanced than this in reality, but the easiest way for you to think about it is as a mans brain in a female body, or a woman's brain in a male body. Gender is typically pretty fundamental to someone's identity, and so to have others treating you as something you aren't can be very distressing. Most transgender people also experience dysphoria.

2. She'd be lesbian.

3. Not really. But they still express gender differently, so kinda.

3. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

1. Looking down at yourself you don't feel like your body belongs to you, like it's something completely foreign. This makes you feel really bad. There are so many parts of your body that are either too masculine for trans women, or too feminine for trans men, and they wish they weren't there.

2. You would be a lesbian, but I suppose you can call yourself whatever you want. Every non-closeted trans women I ever met uses female terms to describe herself, so they wouldn't consider themselves straight because they aren't male.

3. No, transgender is different from cross dressing. Transgendered people know they are the other gender, while cross dressers just wear the clothing of the other gender. Wearing the clothing of the gender they transition too is done by trans people for the same reason most Cisgender men and women wear male and female clothes, respectively. Cross dressing can be done for a variety of reasons, such as drag performances, sexual arousal(autogynophilia), or just to have fun.

Also I don't think anything you said would offend people, you aren't trying to mess with us or anything, you just asked some questions so you could learn things. Also you used all the proper terms for things, there are a lot of people who come to this site unaware that their terms are considered slurs.

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Here might be a few more answers :
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/146082-questions-trans.html

2. She would be lesbian :slight_smile: . On a survey once taken amongst transsexual participants, about one third of the participants was heterosexual, one third homosexual and one third queer / bi / etc. This can be looked up on the internet ( not giving sources because if you are keen on finding a different result you probably find one. Maybe just using it as a general hint... ).

3. here you might look up a few terms:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gende...pful-informative-threads-gender-identity.html
    " "Transgendered": is a kind of umbrella term for anyone who doesn't fit into the male-female Gender Binary. Some people argue that Crossdressers are on the Transgender spectrum, others would argue that they are not. I think they are, down somewhere in the Infrared part of the spectrum, while we Transsexuals are Ultraviolet. "

"My intention is not to offend anyone and I'm sorry if they come off as 'ignorant'."
    In my opinion, it is always a good idea to ask polite questions :slight_smile:. There are many things to learn in this world :slight_smile:.

#4 jay777, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014