1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shyness

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gibson234, Jul 27, 2014.

1. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you ever find that being shy means that people don't really give a shit about you? I find that being shy means that people just ignore my existence. I have generally found this though life so far.

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yea me too also like, i could be sitting right there but im invisible to people because i dont talk

3. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I have no advice to offer as im in the same boat and yes, I sometimes feel overlooked.

4. Yosia

Im invisible.

5. Acm

Acm Guest

Yeah I usually get ignored. People only talk to me out of pity, which is really annoying :dry:

6. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Really!?:eek: thats very messed up, im sorry

7. nl226374

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yep, pretty much. On most days I feel like no one really cares about me :frowning2:.

8. Kafei

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get the same thing. My input on anything is usually ignored in favor of the input of outgoing people.

9. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Damn that really sucks, oh i know we should form a group and take over the world, INTROVERTS UNITE :badgrin:

10. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

yes and it is because we dont openly show that we care abou lt others so they do the same or dont at all. It is not an admirable trait imo and I am trying to work it out of my system to become more confident instead.

11. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    oh jfc don't get me started... i'm not shy but i'm introverted so i'm just quiet... anyone else hear "you should talk more!!!" a lot and then when you actually try to tell a story there's always someone who interrupts you?!?!

12. jahow95

Being shy is not the same as being quiet though... you'll find a lot of people who don't have any desire to talk to people but are very confident. so work on your confidence rather than quietness

13. Acm

Acm Guest

Yeah I've been trying to overcome it too and work on self-confidence

14. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The thing with being shy is whos going to pay attention to you if your essentially hiding anyway...you don't mean to (and i'm not picking or anything) but it works both ways.

If your a non shy person engaging with a shy person is not worth the effort bcos normally you get nothing back

15. TheStormInside

I'm extremely shy, myself, but I've learned that if you want others to connect with you you have to force yourself to get out there. While I'm not an extreme success here, I have managed to make a close circle of friends and am learning how to interact a little more easily with acquaintances and "strangers." It's fine to be introverted, but if you DO want others to pay you attention you have to push yourself a little. It's hard but it gets easier with time and practice.

16. julianne

I was extremely shy for a long time, but as my confidence has increased I've gotten better at one-on-one conversation!

My only issue now is trying to speak in groups. I generally just sit there and watch the conversation go back and forth like I'm watching a tennis match. It's very overwhelming and frustrating for me, and it bothers me a lot that I just don't know how to talk when I'm with a large group!! I'm working on that though.

You just have to try and push yourself. Accept that there will be times where you stutter or say something dumb. It's all part of learning to be more confident! Some people are born people-people, but some of us have to teach ourselves these skills. It's just about practice, it will become better with time :slight_smile:

17. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish I had a dollar for every time someone said "You're quiet, aren't you?" or jokingly said "Geez, can you stop talking?" I don't really mind the teasing from some people but it can get wearing after a while.

I hate it when I actually try to say something and then someone just talks over me. What's the point? In high school I didn't really have friends so much as people I sat with at lunch. Now that I'm in college I have a couple friends that I love more than anything. I'm okay with having a few people that I call friends rather than a wide circle.

18. YourSoThirsty

The only time people talk to me in school is to make fun of me I get anxiety so I don't have Many friends. At home my fake parents try to not overlook me but I just kinda always just blend into the background. Not to mention they don't know I know they aren't my real parents. It hurt still hurts they didn't tell me

19. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't know if it's my shyness or what, but I really do tend to be invisible... often when I say things, people literally don't hear them, even if I wasn't speaking softly. And a couple of people have told me I could be the best ninja in our class because I'm apparently so good at sneaking up behind people, even though I'm not making any effort to hide when I do.

20. Ticklish Fish

Sometimes I prefer this way, less drama, less stress in life. but it's just my opinion.