1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would Anyone Consider Online School?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bisexualkpopfan, Jul 28, 2014.

1. I've been in online school for 2 years now and I'm going to finish my senior year of high school online too. So, I was just wondering would any of you like to go to online school? Do you go or have you been to online school already? Why or why not do you think online school is a good or bad choice for you?

For me, I like online school, but it is so easy to get behind if you don't manage your time or ask for help when you first need it. I'm going to try to be even better next year (I got three As and three Bs last year) and maybe even try and finish early. I know it'll take a lot of commitment, but even though I'm a little nervous, I still do feel like I want to take on the challenge of completely early. I think I learn better in a class room, but I like the fact that you can work sort of at your own pace working online. I am kind of lonely, but I know I couldn't handle being around so many people for all that time, it just made school extra stressful for me which is why I went to online in the first place. I want to get to know a small amount of people at a time, which is why I want to join a club (I can still do that even though I'm online) and maybe make friends with the people there.

So, yeah, what are you guys thoughts on online school?

2. Candace

Well, any education is better than no education. My question is, if you do choose to do online school and there's material that you don't understand, whom do you ask? There's no such thing as tutorials or extra help, is there? I feel that with an actual classroom, you can have someone explain concepts to you in person.

I just know that in college, the idea of having small classes is a hit or miss. Some general classes that are required of you take have 100-150 students in them. You have to go at their pace whether you like it or not. I'm not trying to be harsh here at all, but I'm being realistic and showing you what's going to be expected. Have you asked your teachers if you could get extra time on stuff and why you need it?

3. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hell no.

I took some online classes in high school and couldn't stand it. I think you kinda lose out on learning more in online courses because it's pretty much you just reading the material you need to know, and then doing the assignments. In a classroom setting, you're getting lectured and you're doing the things I mentioned previously. You can engage the professor in discussions and learn more by asking questions, which is a big advantage in regular classes over online courses. You've also got to be extremely motivated because deadlines for online classes were far more easy going than actual classes, at least they were for me. It's just easier to be lazy and to cheat. And for me, whenever I had a question about something it took some time for teachers to reply back to e-mail, which is a little different than just getting the answers you need in class.

Most of my college classes have had some online material (hybrid), and that's been decent. But a straight up online class or degree program? No thanks, particularly for the latter.

#3 Mike92, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  4. ok455

I don't really like online classes you have to really discipline your self to stay on course and keep up and its so much reading. I prefer the good old fashion classroom if i have questions i can ask it and i prefer a structure and work sheets and quizzes and all that jazz.

5. Well, with the program I'm at now, it's like the school's virtual program and they have a teacher over it and they have tutors in math, science, English, and history Mondays - Thursday at 3-5 each week, so we had help. It was just in Spanish where we had no tutor and so it was difficult, but I luckily still got a B in that class just going by the lessons. I do think someone teaching it is better though. And 100 students in one class? Oh my goodness, the most I have ever had in a class was 30 >< Wow, I don't know about that >< And we got a little extra time this year since it was the first year, but the year coming up, they'll be very strict about the time. If you aren't ahead and you don't have the amount of work done you are supposed to at that time, I think there will be some penalties, I don't know ><

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

You know, I would as a matter of fact. I happen to like being able to go on campus and have physical classes, I'm not someone who likes being cramped up inside all day doing grunt work behind a screen (even though, surprise surprise, I'd be all for being behind a screen all day if it was something I liked doing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

But if it was a good, flexible program that'd save me money and I knew I could stay motivated, I'd definitely be willing to consider. And in fact, when I transfer to university, depending on my job at that point, it may be what I settle with.

I had a younger sister who, in fact, did online elementary school for about a year when she was first homeschooling. And a huge thing was that for all the work they were making her do, she barely had time to herself and had huge problems staying on track.

#6 drwinchester, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2014
  7. Yosia

I would have loved to instead of normal, and my online friend does online school and she loves it.

8. Yeah, the lessons in mine are just like reading books for the most part and then going and taking a little practice quiz on the lesson, but I think it's designed that way to get it done faster - However, I still prefer classroom learning better because you won't get it done faster if you can't understand it very well. I agree also on the fact that it is so easy to get behind with deadlines, because in class, like, you have to turn in your work by this specific day or you get no points, but with online, you can just get behind and stuff because it isn't as strict on you with that. But next year, I'm going to work as hard as I can so that it doesn't happen.

9. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've taken online classes before (and I'm going to be taking one this semester) but I wouldn't go to an entirely online school. Partly because the field of psychology relies on face-to-face interaction so I think that's important for me. Plus I like living on campus. I like my friends, I like my classes, I like being able to physically see my professors. I like the flexibility of online classes but I find it's really easy for me to forget deadlines.

Professors also tend to be a toss-up (though that's true for on-campus classes too) where sometimes they'll be great and other times they'll be extremely unorganized and uncommunicative.

I've also taken physical classes all my life. In high school I only took one class online (and it was miserable because there was a TON of bookwork for a subject I didn't enjoy so that put me off them) and 1.5 in college (the half being because it was supposed to be an on-campus class but he told us we never had to come to lecture if we didn't want to and all the tests/assignments were completed online).

10. Haha, yeah, staying behind a screen and doing schoolwork is not the ideal, but at least you can eat in your PJs while doing your class :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It is hard to find a good program, like the program we have is basically like a lot of reading and I also forgot to mention that only two tests averaged together was the only thing that counted as a grade in the class too and I found that that was hard and ridiculous that you don't have more chances to raise your grade. Luckily, we were able to take those tests over again three times if we didn't get the grade we wanted! But hopefully, you get something much better if you decide to do online classes and I wish you the best of luck!! :grin:

And the program your sister took, was that connections academy? That's the one I went to the year before last and that was crazy hard, even harder than this one. And they said it was flexible, but I barely had time for other stuff.

11. Brodie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I took some online classes and because of them, and solely based on me passing those courses, I was automatically accepted into the college of law.

The classes were really hard, but we had tons of support and I would do it again. Employers have always said how admirable they think it is that someone can manage their own course, time, education to better themselves.

Go for it, I had a great time but I did attend the classes that went with them too, albeit they were only once a month and worked with my uni stuff.

#11 Brodie, Jul 28, 2014
  12. I took AP Psychology online last year and really enjoyed it. I could work pretty much at my own pace and felt I understood it far better than I would have with the in-school teacher who was teaching the class.

That said, I wouldn't want to take all of my classes online. I'm very skeptical about how science classes would work (namely, the labs), and those are my favorite classes. I also enjoy the spontaneous debates and conversations that we get into in my history classes, and while I know that there are message boards and the like for online classes, it's not quite as fun as talking to the teacher and others face to face.

I'm going to be a senior this year, though, so it doesn't really matter haha.

13. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I go to an online school. I started high school in October this year, and I'm already 30% finished with all of high school. I'm doing pretty well in it too, I have mostly A's and a few B's.

14. Foxface

I honestly had a better education online than I did at Brick and Mortar schools

I graduated through Park University with about 80% of my classes online. It was AWESOME sitting in my PJ's going to class...however I am ridiculously disciplined and ake deadlines like crazy

My MA in Clinical Psych was brick and mortar which it has to be since my degree was professional/mental health/clinical we had to be in person something like 95% of the time and of course 100% of my internship was in person

Now I am doing my MBA online 100% at Southern Illinois University and I love it again

back to PJ's and masters budgets!

with that said I do give one caveat...if you go to an 'only online' school that is for profit, make sure they are accredited and check their retention and graduate rate...you can get taken for a ride

15. Silas

I took a bunch of online classes for my undergrad program, they were taught by the same professors who taught on our campus and I enjoyed it a lot! :slight_smile: In the physical classroom I usually get super bored listening to lectures and zone out completely, lol and I always felt too shy to participate in the discussions/debates... so the online classes suited me a lot better since I'm more comfortable with written communication. I learned more, participated more, got to know my classmates a lot better and aced every class. By far the best academic experience I ever had.

#15 Silas, Jul 28, 2014
  16. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

I keep trying them but I am very not good at scheduling when things are due. They are excellent though for people that can and cant attend regular classes for whatever reason : , ) I would always advise doing them through legitimate campuses though and not like DeVry online and auch

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I've had a few online courses, at the community college I attended, but that's about it. At the end of the day, I much prefer going in person, because, as others have mentioned, you can engage in debates.

Also, it's kind of hard to clown on folks, if you aren't there in person. That is a primary reason, why I much prefer going in person. Just being able to observe and interact, with other students and faculty.

However, the primary reason I like to go in person is, the social aspect. I can observe and interact with people, and learn to be around people. Online, you can't really do that. As much as I disliked several moments in my schooling life, I'm glad I endured, because it made me a stronger, more informed individual. I may not be able to tell you, how to measure a formula, but I can tell you, how to make some ass clown shut the hell up, LOL.

18. black-cat

I have been homeschooled (the sort where teachers come to my house, not done by my parents) for 5 years on and off, and I despise it with a passion. Online schooling would suit my needs better, but I can't afford it and can't get funding. I despise my unusual education, but it is better than nothing.