1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job Interview on Friday

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gerry, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well in case everyone didn't know, I have a job interview on Friday for the position of a substitute teacher. I'm an education major in college and this will give me great experience in the classroom. Does anyone have any advice for my interview? I don't even know what to expect! Lol. :slight_smile:

2. smilealways

smilealways Guest

No advice, but good luck anyway :thumbsup:

3. gutsrie

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys. and yes, this is my first interview.

5. hoping

Good luck babe, i hope you get it, it would be so amazing, good luck stud:kiss:

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Congratulations Gerry! Just be confident in yourself without exaggerating the truth. Smile and look your interviewers in the eye. You'll do fine! Good luck!

7. Jim1454

Dress appropriately. Shirt and tie at a minimum I'd think...
    Eye contact and speak clearly.
    Be honest. Don't feel you need to talk to fill in dead silence. Say what you want to say and stop.
    Talk about how you've demonstrated qualities that they would look for in a teacher, even if those experiences weren't from teaching.
    If there's anything special to know about the job you're interviewing for, do a bit of research. Is the school board known for anything in particular? Having that information, or being able to talk about it woudl be helpful.
    Ideally, practice. Have someone else interview you. It feels awkward, but it helps.

Just be yourself though. Good luck.

8. EM68

I had a couple of interviews over the past couple of months. The main questions they will more than likely ask is what can you bring to the position? What are strengthens? Weaknesses? Where do you what to be in 5 ,10 years? Be yourself, be honest. Ask for an email address so you can send a thank you email when you get home. GOOD LUCK! :thumbsup:

9. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys. I'll definitely take your advice. I'll let you know how it goes after the interview tomorrow afternoon. :slight_smile:

10. ok455

Good luck on your interview smile,Laugh,Shake their hands thank them do some research about substitute teacher interviews

11. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for all the advice guys. The interview went great and now I wait for a letter mailed to me and letting me know if I get it or not.

12. EM68

Great to hear. :slight_smile:

I just got a new job myself that I start in a couple of weeks. I have been busy studying. I need to take an insurance exam on the 17th.

13. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck with that. :slight_smile: I'm sure you'll do fine.

14. biisme

Too much advice will just confuse you!!! Be yourself, and good luck!

15. ScentedRegrets

Hey Gerry, I work in HR, so basically, my entire professional life evolves around interviews. Basically, the best advice I have for you is to be yourself. I have taken hours upon hours of courses on how to read body language. There are tons of cues I can take from your body language that tells me if you are being honest and genuine with me, or if you are trying to blow smoke up my skirt (I may be gay, but I don't wear a skirt... you know what I mean... don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining outside).

For instance, when someone is genuinely laughing, there are small muscles under the eyes that contract. You can not force these muscles to contract - they only do it when your body genuinely laughs. Looking for those muscles to contract tells me whether you are being honest with me. Also, I was taught to examine eye contact. You can observe a lot just by watching where a person's eyes go. If someone's lying about something or trying to exaggerate something, I can usually tell because their eyes go off course.

So bottom line, be yourself. I often go with my B or B+ candidates to hire rather than my A or A+ candidates if I have the sense that the B or B+ candidates are more honest, sincere, and trustworthy than the others. Be yourself, be honest, and don't exaggerate anything (if you were in a job for 1 year and 11 months, do not tell me you were "there for two years" as little details drive us HR folks nuts). You will do fine, reading your posts, I think you don't have much to worry about. You are articulate, and you seem like a genuinely nice person. Best wishes!!!

16. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After about a 2 month process since I filled out my application, I'm finally a substitute teacher. :slight_smile: It's pretty good pay and will give me great experience for when I become an actual teacher.

17. EM68

Congrats! That's great I started my new job 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love it!

18. NuthinButLuv

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats Gerry!

You too EM68!

19. panda

Congrats Gerry...:thumbsup:

20. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

Congrats and Good Luck! I'm an ed major and I'm an aide in a junior high and I don't think I could ever be a sub. I've worked with so many incompetent subs, it's ridiculous. I actually hate working with subs because I never know if I should take charge or not, so if you sub in a class that has an aide/instructional assistant ask him/her if he/she would like to take charge or not because it's highly awkward for the aide to not know whether or not to take charge.