1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Quick Please!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zūn Jìng, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Zūn Jìng

Zūn Jìng Guest

OK, guys so I really need help with this. My essay is due in 4 hours and I'm just about done. I'm just stuck on this one question. I'm completely blanked out on it. Any help?

How did Great Britain battle Napoleon’s blockade?

In my book it says nothing about great Britain>.< is Britain the same place as great britain?HELP!

2. pirateninja

Continental System, scheme of action adopted by Napoleon I, 1769–1821, in his economic warfare with England from 1806 to 1812. Economic warfare had been carried on before 1806, but the system itself was initiated by the Berlin Decree, which claimed that the British blockade of purely commercial ports was contrary to international law. It was extended by the Warsaw Decree (1807), the Milan Decree (1807), and the Fontainebleau Decree (1810), which forbade trade with Great Britain on the part of France, her allies, and neutrals. Napoleon expected that the unfavorable trade balance and loss of precious metals would destroy England's credit, break the Bank of England, and ruin English industry. Great Britain retaliated by the orders in council orders in council, in British government, orders given by the sovereign on the advice of all or some of the members of the privy council, without the prior consent of Parliament , which forbade nearly all trade between England and any nation obeying the Berlin Decree. One of the most dramatic results of the commercial warfare was the English bombardment of neutral Copenhagen (1807) and the seizure of the Danish fleet. The trade restrictions of the continental system led to a decline of the significance of Amsterdam; it never regained its former prominence. England had control of the sea, and large-scale smuggling thrived all along the European coast (with U.S. privateers taking a large part in the illegal trade). Napoleon himself issued special licenses for trade bringing in colonial goods on the payment of duties. Napoleon's Russian campaign of 1812 was brought on by Russia's refusal to conform to the decrees, and the war between England and the United States, known as the War of 1812 , was to some extent a result of the economic warfare. But so difficult was the enforcement of the system that in his effort to impose it on Russia, Napoleon had to violate it in France. Whether the continental system delayed the introduction of the Industrial Revolution to France is much debated, though it did foster the development of beet sugar manufacture and machine spinning of textiles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleonic_Wars

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ho/time/jd/91865.htm

In the Napoleonic Wars, the blockade designed by Napoleon to paralyze Britain through the destruction of British commerce. In the Decrees of Berlin (1806) and Milan (1807), France proclaimed that neutrals and French allies were not to trade with the British. The United Kingdom responded with a counterblockade, which led indirectly to the War of 1812. Because of Britain's naval superiority, the effort to enforce the system proved disastrous for Napoleon.

Any help?

3. Amy

Amy

aw, shit, i dont know. ^ listen to holly ^