1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would You Rather Travel To The Past or Future?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JStevens96, Jul 29, 2014.

?

Would You Rather Travel To The Past or Future?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2014.
  1. Future

46.7%
  2. Past

53.3%
  1. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Would you rather travel back in time or the future? Reasons?! I'd love to see the future.

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The past. I'm a huge medieval history geek, and since we tend to romanticize the past, I'd like to see life as it was; no fabrications, myths, or stereotypes. The future? It must be a terrible thing to know when, where, and how you're going to die, yet not be able to avoid it. What if there's some war, a plague, or famine? The danger wouldn't be in trying to understand the future, but in trying to alter its course. We have all these optimistic ideas of how things will be, and if they turn out never to happen? It would be a major downer, I'd imagine.

It's enough trouble just living in the present.

3. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Wow, very well-said. I'd love to see the future just to know what would be there for those who are after me.

4. Midknight96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd say the future. Since I believe that traveling to the past would simply create a parallel universe and not effect your own universe, traveling to the past would be useless to me. Though I wouldn't mind visiting Ancient Egypt. But, yeah, I'd much prefer the future.

5. BelleFromHell

While I love history, I would have to pick future. A lot of the past was pretty misogynistic. Aside from being a lesbian, I can be a real bitch. I don't like being told what to do, so I most likely wouldn't last two minutes in the past without being arrested and/or killed.

Plus, it'd be interesting to see the future. Books don't paint a picture of the future like they do with the past. It'd be awesome to see a part of time that we know nothing about.

6. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The future. I want to know how things will change hundreds of years from now.

7. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

The future, by far. The past is fascinating but it's over, and a lot of stuff has changed for a reason. I WANT TO HUG A ROBOT DAMMIT

8. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The past.

I love vintagey things, and I'd rather whatever's in the future to be a surprise.

9. Tardis221B

I love history and the tales of the past, but i'd rather visit the future. I'd love to see how civilization evolves, hopefully for the best. And it would be so amazing to travel to time where people can easily visit outer space and explore the solar system and galaxy. :slight_smile:

10. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

The future. I want to see what kind of technology we have in about 400 years. If any of the stuff in Star Trek exists. How society has changed, hopefully for the better.

#10 XenaxGabby, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
  11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

There's a few questions I'd have, regarding this time travel.

Is it a one-time trip?
    If I go to a place in time, is there is no coming back or going forward?

If it is a one-time trip, then this influences my answer. If I can go back and forth, as I please, there is more leeway in my answer.

12. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The past, although I would probably spend my time in more recent past, mid-20th century to the millennium. Probably seeing some of the major events that happened during those times

If I saw the future, I would probably lose my mind trying to ensure whatever happened to BMW does or doesn't happen in my current life, also it would take all of the surprise and excitement out of the future

13. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The past-with an out to come back home. There's some bully ass to kick as well as some hot guys to make some moves on and see what happens.

Also, I would love having the knowledge I have now to fool around more with my friend with benefits. :slight_smile: Make him want to never leave. O.O. :wink:

#13 QueerTransEnby, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With the option to come back, the future. This way, I could see all the winning Lotto numbers, outcomes of sporting events, and be rich when I came back, and not have to work, and thus be free to pursue meaningful, artistic and literary activities, instead of working so much that I barely have the time or energy for them.

So definitely the future.

15. the haunted

This was difficult to pick, but I voted for the past. The future would be totally awesome with all the technology and stuff, but I enjoy the simple things in life a lot more. I'd like to travel back to the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

16. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With the way they treated gay/queer people back then, I am not sure about that.

17. Gen

Gen

Neither. As both a racial and sexual minority, there is nothing that would make me wish to turn back time. Although I might be curious of what the future will bring for humanity, the prospects of the future on both a social and environmental level aren't something I am willing to put my trust in.

18. the haunted

Well if I'm traveling with the intentions of coming back, then it's not a big deal. I'm going for the muscle cars and hippies, not for dates. :icon_cool

Though if I did find a lovely lady from the past, I'd say screw 'em and take her out anyways!

19. Apropos

I want to see all the extinct langauges that we have no record of.

20. Data

Data Guest

Future.

The ancient Egyptians built the pyramids with Copper chizels and wooden platforms. They were very advanced for their time. Can you IMAGINE if we could bring an ancient Egyptian to our present time?! They'd be amazed by cars, planes, electricity, cell phones, surgery, the ISS, submarines, guns, stereo systems, cds and tapes, vacuum cleaners, coffee makers, refrigerators, lawn mowers, etc.

What would the future look like for US in 3000 years? Wow. I'm awe struck just by the thought.