1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eastenders

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pirateninja, Sep 4, 2008.

1. pirateninja

Usually I hate it, but my sister's watching it while I'm on the computer. And I managed to catch a snippet of storyline.

*two girls kissing*
    One person: Ugh! That's disgusting!
    Another person: So, they have a right.
    One person: Yeh, I don't mind 'em doin' it behind closed doors but in public!
    Another person: What if I was snoggin' some guy over the fruit and veg stall? You'd be cheerin' me on!
    One person: Why are you so agitated by this?
    Another person: You really don't understand me at all do you?

(!)(!)(!)

(By the way, it was two girls talking)

For some reason, I get really excited aboot lesbian storylines. Every soap has a gay, but hardly any lesbians.

Just wish my sister wouldn't look so uncomfortable as she was watching it though:dry:

2. smilealways

smilealways Guest

My nana used to watch it.

I remember watching Coronation Street with my relatives one night, and there was this scene where this gay guy tried to kiss another guy. When I saw it, I went all red. :icon_redf

3. lexie

DAMMIT! i wish id watched EE's now :icon_sad: oh well, thats me watching sunday's repeats then since that scene happened.

im interested to see what this scene was all about, i bet it was just extra's...and its not a proper SL.

anyway lesbian storylines interest me too (obviously), and yes! i couldnt agree more with you, and this has bothered me for a while, there arent really hardly any on mainstream uk tv...while as you said, there are a lot of gay characters in soaps, and gay storylines, aimed at both older and younger generations, i havent seen a decent or serious lesbian storyline/character in...well never, i know there have been a few dodgy ones in the past, but not for a long time, and i am not aware of a single lesbian character in any soap, is there one? what about a storyline aimed at young people. i think it would be well recieved. i think its really wrong and sad that there is so much gay content in all the soaps but no lesbian content. but anyways....off my soapbox i go.......

4. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I don't usually watch Eastenders but that's interesting! Thanks for pointing it out! More exposure is better...and I like the fact that they had someone pointing out the different standards for heterosexual couples.

5. halfy

omg, it's times like this when i occasionally regret stopping watching eastenders. considering that the only lesbian storylines i remember were zoe slater kisses best friend once after a van crash and happily married sonia, has an affair with another woman even though sonia never showed any previous signs of being gay and eventually got back with her husband.

i totally agree that there is a serious lack of lesbians in soapland. the last lesbian soap character i can remember was zoe tate. and she last had a lesbian relationship about 3 years before she quit the soap. i'd love it if hollyoaks would do a lesbian storyline because they'd do it well. however, they've already done the coming out thing with john paul. and craig. and chris is bi, and kieron is gay. so they have their gay ground pretty much covered at the minute.

the last decent tv programme i saw that had lesbians in it was sugar rush. well that's those of us that don't have living tv and can't watch the l word. the british soaps at the minute are: eastenders, coronation street, emmerdale and hollyoaks. i can't see any of those soaps introducing any lesbian storylines anytime soon. :frowning2: ahh well. i'm sure that with the recent success of gay characters, it should be the girls turn sooner or later.

6. riddlerno1

Hey, do u know if this was last nights episode or another one?

Its good that they need more LGBT characters in the soaps in order to normalise homosexuality. I know when ive been watching hollyoaks or even brothers & sisters with my family they initially used to be all change the channel but now dont make any comments directly when kissing and stuff like that is happening!

I remember the first gay kiss we all saw together on telly think it was the Bill and my mum was just like so disgusted by it!

7. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Oh wow - I might watch it if it's repeated. I remember *very* clearly when neighbours had a lesbian storyline (Skye/Lana). Visibility matters! (to quote afterellen)

8. i have my suspicions over the whole 'you really don't understand me, do you?', that kinda implies some sort of homosexual tendencies in the future? or maybe i'm just reading into things a little too much....

9. lexie

i just dont get why they havent done a well written, serious, sensitive, lesbian coming out/romance storyline yet, a proper one, i havent seen any on soap (on the level of john paul and craig-ie: properly done)....i agree id love hollyoaks to do one, maybe they will eventually, i fear EE'S, CS, and Emmerdale wouldnt do it justice (but id watch if any of the soaps did one)...and HO's is aimed at teens/young adults/students, so the type of age group who are actually likely to be able to relate to a storyline like that...but anyways, we can only hope. i have no idea why there arent any lesbian characters in any soaps...makes no sense to me

10. riddlerno1

i think eastenders tried with sonia to have a lesbian character but then she went back to martin!! im sure that happens but there really does need to be lesbian charcters in soaps who are quite happy to be lesbians.