1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As a gay person, how important is it for you....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lola LaRouge, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Lola LaRouge

Lola LaRouge Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    .... to only have gay friends? As I am getting older and the more gay people I have come in contact with all seem to have straight friends predominantly. As an outsider looking in I have always thought this was weird, because you can't connect on a true friendship level with someone you cannot relate too.

NOTE: Please know, I am sure some gay people have gay fellow friends.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not important.
    It's so hard to make good, long lasting friends that to filter them by sexuality is crazy.

And gay-straight friendship can have tons of shared interests (besides sexuality) and stuff which can help you relate to each other.

3. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    not really important, but would like to have 1 or 2 but you can connect with straight friends just fine

4. Hexagon

It isn't important to me. In fact, I don't have any queer friends, save for one. IRL, anyway. There are many aspects to the human experience, and being queer only covers a few. I can relate to my friends on other levels. And it isn't really the case that it's impossible to relate to people of other sexualities. Sure, a gay man might not see what his straight friend does in women, but that doesn't mean that the relationships would be vastly different.

5. ZeroDarkness

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with HM03. I think that having a gay friend (or several) can be a good thing in that you can find someone to relate to and be fully open with, but I definitely think that a good friend is a good friend, regardless of their sexuality.

6. TheAwakening

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For myself it's somewhat important, but at the same time it's not. As long as those heterosexual friends accept me for who I am. But it is nice to actually have friends of various parts of the LGBTQ+ community.

#6 TheAwakening, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  7. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as I know all of my friends (even casual friends from work) are straight. My best friend is female and i am masculine, but we do relate to each other better than you would think. We talk about guys all the time about the only things we don't relate to each other on is I like receiving anal sex and love giving head where she really doesn't enjoy either. Other than that we both enjoy the same types of activities (outside the bedroom), we are both the rough and tumble sort, and both have the same dirty minded sense of humor.

8. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is probably less important to me as I get older. In my twenties seriously almost everyone I knew was gay. Now, while most of my close friends are gay I definitely number quite a few straight people among my close friends.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's important to me but I do not consider it all of me . I have mostly straight friends I wish I had more gay friends .

10. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not important. I have nothing against straight people, so why would i not friend them? I have lots of straight friends, and there is absolutely no problem with that.
    I'm sorry, i'm pretty sure you didn't mean it, but why the hell i can't relate or connect on a true friendship level with someone that has a different sexual orientation? That makes no sense at all! My life (or the life of my friends) isn't 100% about sexuality. I don't think about sex all the time, i like to play videogames, i like to eat pizza, i like to tell/hear jokes, i like to train archery, etc., just like my friends, straight, gay, bi...

I'm pretty sure you didn't mean it, but i find it really sad if someone here cannot friend a person of a different sexual orientation. Life isn't all about sex!

Sure, you cannot tell a straight friend (at least, with their full interest) about a guy/girl you find hot, and i understand why it is nice to friend someone with the same orientation, but no one here thinks about hot guys/girls all the time!

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I prefer a bit of variety in my circle of acquaintances and friends: gay, straight; male, female; white, black; cis, trans; atheist, religious; whatever. It gives me a bit of an edge over those who only surround themselves with others of similar backgrounds, I'd like to think. We're all human, the world is becoming smaller, and only associating with those who have one thing in common with you is boring.

12. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I think it's good to have a balance. I would like to have a few friends that are gay because a lot of times I have difficulty relating to my friends that are straight.

13. peppermintgum

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    For me as of right now its a bit important. I've moved a lot so I can't say I have actually any friends in real life atm. But the several people I have met at school that where straight where bothered when I brought up gay angst and when I would say that's why I need a lesbian friend to understand this they would get upset. Even my sister who is one of my best friends she would ignore anything I said about gay crushes etc.

Sure if you're straight friends are open and understanding about gay issues its amazing and sexuality doesn't matter at all. But the majority of straight people in my life right now are still disgusted with homosexuality so its a bit hard to open up to them or even want to try a friendship with them.

Though I do have several straight close friends online and they let me rant about my gf or gay issues and it's really really nice (the only way I stay sane); I still wish I had some lesbian friends (bc me and my girlfriend are the only gay women I know). I guess it just depends what community you live in.

14. justjade

I don't have any gay people that I hang out with, so it's not really important to me. Would it be nice? Yeah. Am I looking? No. The fact of the matter is that whether or not I get along with a person is far more important than their gender or sexual orientation. And it just so happens that I get along very well with straight guys.

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can relate to this .

16. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm guessing the gay people you meet probably have mostly straight friends because straight people make up about 95% of the population.

Anyways, I would like to have 1 or 2 gay friends, but I'm not going out of my way to find them. I'm just letting the friendships happen naturally.

17. Rancid

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do think having LGBT friends is important for LGBT people, but that doesn't mean to exclude straight people altogether.

I have a few straight friends I can talk about it comfortably with, but it would be nice to connect with more gay youth, especially with the situation I'm currently in. Of course, that very situation is why I can't go to this awesome drop-in resource center in my area for LGBT youth.

18. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Having gay/bi friends is important to me. I wish the friends I do have that are gay would rally around me a little more than they have knowing how hard it is to be an LGBT Christian. I will remember this if one of my friends comes out and needs support. There aren't that many of us.

19. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How ridiculous! That's like a straight person saying that they only want straight friends.
    Don't choose your friends based on their sexuality.

20. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When you first come out and have pushback from your parents, I think they are invaluable.