1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else freak out when called out on.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by OneProblem, Jul 31, 2014.

1. OneProblem

Saskatchewan ____________________ eheh get it? ;D
    This could be for any situation that everyone might have but I'll use me as an example.

I am very shy so I try to never talk during class but my teacher called out on me to read in front of the class one time. Well not in front of more like just sitting in my chair while everyone was looking at their book but I was freaking out about it. I could barely even read the book and when I was almost done reading the part my head started actually shaking frantically because I was trying so hard to not make my voice crack. I don't think that happens to anyone else but that's for a different time. I think by the time I was done reading and looked back at my teacher she saw my face (and most likely noticed it was beet red) and decided to try not to call on me again.

And she didn't. The only time I ever had to read again was when she let the people who were reading before pick people to read. ;w;

2. PurpleGrey

Well, no, I'm the opposite, if only because I'm just better at reading than everyone else in my class was. All my classes, really, since elementary school. But I do understand where you're coming from. Anything other than reading, and I'm a coward. It would be reading, too, if listening to other people read didn't frustrate me no end.

3. Hexagon

I hate reading aloud. I'm an excellent reader, but when it comes to doing it aloud, I get so bloody anxious. But I've learnt to control my anxiety. And well, you don't get asked to read in class when you're studying biology or math.

4. Candace

Yeah! Especially when you haven't been paying attention and you hate the sound of your own voice :dry:.

5. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a weird combination in that I hate reading in front of the class because it terrifies me, but I also get really annoyed if someone else reads and they're not very good at it. Reading aloud doesn't happen to me much in college and I'm thankful for that.

I do the same thing when I get called on to ask a question, even if I raised my hand. Usually I just sit there and shout the answer in my head like I might be able to transmit it telepathically.

6. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yea i hated that when my teachers did that to me. but at the same time, it was funny. i remember one time i came into class and a history teacher called on me to read some passage. turns out that later onto the year, i was a better reader then most of the kids in my class, even the cool ones. so don't be too nervous about it.

7. Acm

Acm Guest

I hate reading out loud. Once when I was in 8th grade I started crying when I got called on but luckily I've gotten better now and even though I'm nervous I can do it.

8. OneProblem

Saskatchewan ____________________ eheh get it? ;D
    I know exactly how you feel. Whenever other people read they usually aren't very good at pronouncing the words and the general stuff. It makes me wonder why the teacher just doesn't just let us read on our own. I wish.

9. fireball1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I use to freak out too.. But not to that extreme. It's a fear you will either have to deal with or get over it?
    Why do you get so freaked out when you get called out on?

I use to hate getting called out on because I felt like people were always judging me and knowing all my secrets and once I got over that and said F*** what people think. I got more comfortable being me :slight_smile:

10. Thedistra

Yes, not so much anymore though. I have a speech impediment that made it even worse at times, depending on the other students. Words like hollow, howl etc are not my friend. Luckily they didn't come up to often. But ya I always panicked a bit. I can only be glad no one ever noticed the muscle twitches I would get from such events at times.

Now that I just care less in general things have improved. (being called on of course doesn't happen anymore)

11. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I blush when speaking in public - even when giving a correct answer. only time i can speak publicly is when i'm acting as then I'm not me :slight_smile: