1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between dating a woman or a man?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by julianne, Jul 31, 2014.

1. julianne

What do you feel is the difference in relationships with women versus relationships with men (or even people with masculine energies versus feminine energies)? How do you think the dynamic changes when a relationship has two masculine energies, two feminine energies, or masculine/feminine? Do you prefer dating people who have a masculine energy or a feminine energy? Keep in mind that there can be feminine men, masculine women, etc.

I'm just curious. I've had relationships with women and men, but so far everyone I've dated has been very feminine. I feel that relationships with two feminine energies generally have more open lines of communication, and spend more time discussing feelings. But this is just a generalization from my own limited experience. I'm interested to see what other people think :slight_smile:

2. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've never had a relationship, but I can imagine how two feminine energies would be more open in communication. Though I wish I were a boy, I still have a lot of feminine energy and features about my personality, so I think I would be a feminine guy. Personally I would lean towards masculine energies to date, though.

3. thekillingmoon

I would say lack of defined gender roles. With men you are inevitably stuck in the weak female gender role. They open doors for you, they pay for you on a date, etc. It's how our culture encourages men to act towards women. With women it's less like that. You can take turns doing things for each other. I prefer someone with a mix of feminine and masculine energy. I don't like extremes. Too masculine is a turn off and ultra feminine could be difficult to deal with. Although appearance wise I like feminine women.

4. Mikoto

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Id prefer masculine energies over feminine. With feminines you have all the drama and clothing issues. With masculines its just their shaving.

5. julianne

That's a bit of a stereotype, don't you think? I'm a very feminine person, but my girlfriend and previous boyfriends have been subjected to very little "drama" and "clothing issues". A person with a feminine energy isn't necessarily dramatic or even concerned with their appearance. I would classify someone as a masculine or feminine person based on how they carried themselves, what they were interested in, how their relationships with others functioned. There's no problem with being interested in masculine energies, I'm generally attracted to feminine energies in men and women. I just think you need to update your views on masculinity and femininity. I hope this didn't come off as rude or judgemental, that's just my opinion :slight_smile:

6. Jenna0780

I don't really think there is much difference. I've dated men and women, and I must say, it wasn't all that different for me, because it's the type of person that I'm attracted to. I'm just as likely to be catered to by a woman just as much as by a man, and when I am with a guy, we do take turns doing things for each other just as much as if I am with a woman. That's not to say that the men I've been with are feminine, or that the women that I've been with were masculine. I think when you value a relationship that much, you do all of those things, regardless of what gender roles say you're supposed to do.

I've taken my boyfriend out for a night on the town, spoiled him, sent flowers to his work, made him breakfast in bed. That doesn't mean that I'm masculine, it just means that I care.

7. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Well, this kind of topic is almost impossible to talk about without resorting to some sort of stereotypes, especially considering there isn't a solid definition that everyone holds on what masculinity and femininity are.

I would say that in general there are stronger emotions in a feminine person than in a masculine one, but that's not always true. Personally I don't have an exact preference for masculine or feminine men, but I really like masculine women. I like femme women too, but they are just a little less attractive to me.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

^^^
    [​IMG]

Jenna0780 nailed it. Though, I'd like to add, if you're with someone who embraces, even enforces, gender roles, yeah, there will be a difference between the two. However, amongst the sea of idiocy and stereotypes, you will find droplets of individualistic and wonderful souls.

9. julianne

I wasn't thinking about it in terms of the roles in the relationship, but the way the different or similar personalities interact with each other. I reject gender roles in relationships out of hand... They're an unfortunate side effect of a heteronormative culture, I'm afraid. I'm not sure if I explained that in my OP. Thanks for all your responses so far, it's so interesting to see different views on the subject :slight_smile:

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've only dated men but not women with men it's just too much stuff with gender roles , you can't be yourself around some of them and you have to act like super lady like but that's just my take . You also have to dumb yourself down , if your smart and this is just in my case they don't like that and it can be a turn off for some . Also you kinda have to play weak and let them do everything they do not like it if your stronger than them so I use to do that with guys I dated .

#10 stocking, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  11. TurtleCat

Interesting topic. I've been with both men and women, and here are some of the differences I've noticed.

I feel I should note that my experiences with the sexes is limited to one long-term relationship with a man (7 years with the man that I am now married to) and a few flings with women that didn't lead to as much as I would've liked, mostly one-night stands. One big difference I notice is that guys tend to be all... "This is how I am, take it or leave it." Girls are more self-conscious and apologetic, even when they really don't have any reason to be. There's also a deeper emotional connection with a woman, I find, just because it's someone who's of the same sex and understands you better.

I think I agree with some people that in the end, gender doesn't really matter, it's the person themselves that matter... but at the same time, I can see some common fundamental differences... which admittedly may be due more to social expectations and conditioning than anything else.

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think there are more expectations in a heterosexual relationship. Men are expected to be the providers, the protectors, and if they're seen as having something the woman doesn't, they view it as competition and a threat, at least by insecure partners.

We had similar personality types, so the problem wasn't male-female communication issues, but too much of the same energy being brought to the table. Such fights, very emotional, so dramatic. I'd say they weren't typical of heterosexual couples.

Never been with a man officially, but I see it as being more laid back, perhaps more physical, with more being read in-between the lines. Although there are guys who expect you to conform to stereotypical male archetypes, ie masculine, strong, traditional... bleh!