1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Randomly Depressed...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by confuseduser99, Jul 31, 2014.

1. confuseduser99

Randomly a little depressed, and can't fall asleep. It's so hard being gay and being Christian. It feels like my whole life is one whole contradiction. I'm scared that I may go to hell if I ever act upon my homosexual desires (which I really want to).

I'm also depressed because I've never been in. A relationship before. I don't know why. I guess it's because I was closeted in the past. #ForeverAlone

Ugh, life. Why are you so tough?

Anyone else stuck in a similar dilemma?

2. idream

idream Guest

Heck yes! You are not alone, my friend. Honestly, with time and hard work and encouragement, it will get bettercx just happens differently with different people...

3. ZeroDarkness

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, I'm sorry you are feeling depressed, I know that feeling oh too well :frowning2: Anyway, being gay and Christian myself I will try to give you my view on why I believe it isn't a sin. I'm going to put my little rant under a spoiler tag (if I can get it to work :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) because I don't want to try to shove my personal beliefs down anyone's throat. Before you read anything, know that These are my opinions and beliefs, and I am in no way trying to tell you what is right or wrong. So feel free to disagree if you like, honestly I won't mind. You can choose whether or not to read it by clicking the spoiler tag :slight_smile:

So I grew up in a religious household myself (Christian) and all of my life whenever the topic of homosexuality came up, it was always made out to be some big sin and a terrible thing. This was horrible for me, because I realized I was gay around Elementary School (yes, very early on). I was never homophobic myself, but I felt depressed knowing that I was some sort of terrible sinner. Around the time I started high school, I joined a few online forums and some of the topics were about gay people. I met some great people, and they made my view on the whole deal completely change.

One guy in particular became a good friend of mine. He was a very devout Christian, same age as me, and was openly gay. We talked multiple times about the subject and he really helped me out. I'll try my best to explain it like he did. Christians focus way too much on the little sections of the Bible rather than the most important, repeated sections. For instance, there are only a few passages that even mention homosexuality (and they are very short). The ones that do mention it only say that it is a sin for a man to sleep with a man. It doesn't say anything about having a relationship or loving another man. But wait a second. Wasn't it also said that sleeping with a woman before marriage was a sin? Yep, and guess what. Back then (and even now in most places) You can't get married as a gay couple. So.... If sex between two men is a sin, it's only because you can't get married; therefore, if gay couples could get married (like some places are just now starting to allow, yay :slight_smile:) then it wouldn't be a sin. Right?

That's the way he saw it, and that is the way that I see it now. You see, the Bible is old. Many things in it no longer make sense in today's world. For instance, do we still sacrifice animals at altars? No. For me, I take the Bible as a guide book. Something to teach me lessons and be a better person. I focus on the parts such as "Do more for others than you do for yourself" rather than the parts that talk about eating kosher (because how many people still do that). Another thing is this: If God created us and loves us all, and since being gay isn't a choice (meaning we are born this way), then would he create us knowing that we are sinners? Would he really create someone to be a sinner without even making bad choices? No. Well, I don't believe so anyway.

Sorry if it's long or very opinionated. I have absolutely no intention of saying I am 100% right or you have to agree. I am just telling you what has helped me, so take it to heart if you want, or just disregard it if you feel differently, I'm just hoping maybe someone will get something from this :slight_smile:

4. YourSoThirsty

Yep can relate

5. BelleFromHell

I'm manic-depressive, and I'm also #ForeverAlone. Forever alones need to stick together! (*hug*)

6. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have suffered mood swings for several years I hate being like that .

7. LifeAsWeKnowIt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I relate to this a lot more than I wish I did :/

8. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This isn't so much about you being a Christian, it's about your interpretation (or the interpretation you have been given) of Christianity. This is more to do with Church teaching than Christianity itself. Don't confuse the two - Church is merely a building/institution that represents [a perspective of] Christianity.

If your denomination has always taught that the Bible is the 'infallible, inerrant and unchanging word of God' you will have great difficulty reconciling your feelings. This seems to be a common position within most Baptist, Pentecostal and Catholic Churches.

If you are a member of my denomination (Anglican/Episcopalian), you will be taught to have equal respect for scripture, tradition and reason. For me, reason is vital if Christianity is to have any future in the modern world. It was the application of reason that allowed the Anglican Church to support contraception, allow divorcees to re-marry and women to become Priests and Bishops - all in apparent contradiction to scripture. What does your Church think about these matters? I'm confident that reason will prevail in relation to LGBT matters too... it's taking a while, but the wind is changing.

Looking outside of my own denomination, there are more radical Churches with even greater tolerance and respect for LGBT people.

Conseravtive churches tend to preach the messages about hell, while the more liberal/radical churches focus on love and respect. Ultimately, you have the choice to remain conservative minded and conflicted or embrace a more modern and reasoned take on Christianity that fits in with the world.

I know some people prefer to bash Christianity (and they are entitled to their opinion), but this isn't aimed at them, it's aimed at you. You can be a faithful follower of Christ without the conflict and depression you are experiencing. You do have a choice, but you need to exercise it, just like I did. (*hug*)

9. confuseduser99

I keep flipping back and forth on this. I'm beginning to take a liberal approach to Christianity, viewing the translation of some things in the Bible as inaccurate. Now I'm backtracking and feeling scared and alone. I'm scared to think that I may be wrong, and that I'm just trying to find any excuse to allow myself to live a gay lifestyle as a Christian.

I don't know what to do...

---------- Post added 1st Aug 2014 at 12:28 PM ----------

Very interesting point of view. It really gave me some insight here. I've been saying to my dad who I came out to two weeks ago that God wouldn't create me this way if he didn't want it. For why would he create me if I'm already bound for hell? There seems to be no true free will in this situation. My dad said "I don't know. He's God. He can do whatever he wants. I don't know why he would do that".

Lately I've been taking a more liberal view on Christianity, but suddenly last night, I became very scared and depressed. What if we're wrong on this and being gay is really a sin? I don't want to go to hell...

10. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Having a religion that is making you depressed is pointless. The reality is that your going have to abandon that form of Christianity.

Jesus never said that homosexuality is wrong nor does god. It's just a law that is put there by men from societies that were homophobic.

If your religion is making you depressed then you have to ask the question what is the point of that religion. And if you believe in Christianity because you think it's the best explanation of the world then do you honestly think a being who created the universe gives a shit where you put your dick. Just think for a second about that. Watch a documentary about quantum mechanics or general relativity and ask yourself "does the mind who created this really care about where I put my dick?".

There is so much to worry about in this world for you to start worrying about whether an invisible being who created the universe is going to ruin your afterlife because your gay. It's such a ridiculous concept that to worry about is equally ridiculous.

I understand that religions brain wash people into believe things like this but you have to see past this brain washing and ask what is the truth?

11. SnazzyJazzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Whenever you feel depressed, try to keep doing your hobbies/interests it will help you in the long run. :slight_smile:

12. Silas

I'm also #ForeverAlone, I'll keep you guys company (*hug*) We should start like a Forever Alone club or something lol

13. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll be #ForeverAlone also with y'all. But if we are all together, does that really make us like we claim to be?

14. confuseduser99

HAAHA, yes. Someone should start a group on F . A C E B O O K called "EC Forever Alone Group".

15. BelleFromHell

Let's be #ForeverAlone together. (that's not oxymoronic at all)
    [​IMG]

16. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am totally dealing with this right now and trying to battle with my parents on this stuff. It's really hard.

17. BelleFromHell

I don't think that's allowed, but we could start one on EC.