1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are looks important to you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kosygin, Aug 1, 2014.

1. kosygin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Gay guys seem to put so much emphasis on how good-looking someone is.
    I mean, I'm never in this lifetime going to sleep with someone who looks like Charlie Daniels,
    but I'd probably feel uncomfortable being with someone who looks like Adam Lambert.
    It seems that I expect females to look attractive, but my same-sex partner was average looking, and we stayed together for a long time.
    I may be wrong, but it does seem that lesbian couples look for qualities beyond looks.
    But everywhere you look it seems like everyone is pushing looks, looks, looks.
    So I'm asking: Are looks really that important?

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looks are a bit important, sure, as yourself said that you would be uncomfortable being with some people. However, looks aren't 100%.

But then i ask you: Most straight people seem to look for qualities being looks, most of the time? That's not what i see nowadays.

3. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Looks are nice, but they don't really become a factor unless the person was horribly disfigured. Maybe I'm a bad person, but I don't know if I could be attracted to someone like that. For the most part all I really care about is what kind of person they are. If I manage to find a really kind and loving nerd, I'm good. Also to me I think what I find physically attractive is different than for most people. When I look at so called "10s" they aren't really what I think looks good at all. I prefer people who aren't stick thin, and in women I think smaller breasts look better. In men I'd rather have what people describe as cute than what people describe as hot.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

When I was younger, I'd have said yes. But having experienced a tremendous amount of personal growth, now, not so much. If someone does take care of themselves, you know, hygienic, that's about all I ask. I can't, in good conscience, shrug someone off because they aren't aesthetically appealing, or have some abnormality -- I wouldn't want someone to judge me, based on those things. It seems unfair, to me, to hold what we didn't have a choice in, against someone.

Now, all that said. It's unfortunate, but those blessed with external pleasantry, they will probably get more glances. However, personality, is going to trump looks. Looks fade, they even become an afterthought in the dark, but personality grows and becomes so much more beautiful. I put such emphasis on attitude and personality, that in just a short amount of time, they, with me, cloak the person in a most attractive aura. I've been trying to take a blind man approach (ignore looks, go off what the person says, does, and represents), when it comes to people, and, most times, it works. But being human, it isn't always a success. I can say, though, with confidence, I now find almost anyone attractive -- in a variety of ways, and manners. Everyone has something to offer, and by living by this, I have become more open and, well, happy.

Meditation, baby.

5. Hexagon

No.

#5 Hexagon, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  6. BelleFromHell

Yes, but they aren't everything. Character is the most important.

7. kosygin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I've known so many women who say that looks are not important -- but to me that just seems like some subliminal code-lingo between women, because I DON'T REALLY BELIEVE IT -- there I said it.

8. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, but they aren't the main factor.

Traits like homour, honesty, kindness are much more important.

9. Brodie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find a good personality attractive, yea I understand you need some sexual attraction but I don't think it is as strict as it is made out. I don't tend to care what people look like when I go see them, if something develops it was because they were charming, not because they had a nice smile

10. Candace

Amen! I always like personality as a key. If you can converse with me on a multitude of subjects, then that'll be awesome in my book.

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have my preferences (one's that tend to be very different from the stereotypical notion of "good looks"), but they are entirely secondary to one's personality.

I'm of the opinion (though I cannot prove it, of course) that a decently large minority of those women don't really mean it. That said, I think that for the majority while they do find "looks" at least somewhat important, it is indeed a secondary feature - particularly more so than with men (especially straight men).

#11 Browncoat, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  12. kosygin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well my long-term same-sex partner wasn't exceptionally good looking and he had pretty much a crappy personality -- So what did I see in him? Now I'm confused.

13. littlemonster11

In a way, sure, but it is definitely not the end-all, be-all for me. The "looks" aspect that I do find important, however, is the way one carries themselves. Confidence is always sexy. A goofy and sweet personality is extremely attractive too!

You could be the best looking person I've ever laid eyes on, but if you are cruel and malicious, I won't take an interest anymore. Another turn off for me is not being able to converse amongst each other. I'm not very talkative, but if we can't have those occasional deep conversations (or any kind of conversation for that matter), we won't last, even with their good looks.

14. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone first notices someone based on their looks, I doubt you'd like to be with someone you find repulsive. Of course looks are objective so it depends on the person.

15. Pax

Pax

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't have like...a checklist of what I think someone should look like, but I am a believer in the 'spark' of attraction, which is usually at least partly influenced by looks. I'm not saying that it's important whether or not someone is deemed 'hot' in the eyes of the general population, but it's important to me that I personally am attracted to their looks from the get-go. But, as everyone else has said, personality is important too. I couldn't be in a relationship with someone who looked stunning but was not a nice person.

16. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Not everyone...

17. kem

kem

18. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    True, I was generalizing. At least not anyone that I know.

19. BelleFromHell

I don't think they're NOT important, just not AS important. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. I'd be a liar if I said that they weren't, but they're not super important. There are a lot of things that I value much, much more than I value someone's looks.

I've also noticed that, the more I get to know someone and appreciate them as a person, the more attractive they become to me.