1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you open with your same-sex relationship, or do you have to "sneak" around.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kosygin, Aug 1, 2014.

1. kosygin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Now that I'm coming out I would love to be in an open same-sex relationship.
    Back in the day, Frank and I spent 35 years concealing our same-sex relationship.
    Our relationship ran its course about six years. But even if we were still together, Frank would have been too uncomfortable -- he's rather conservative -- to be in an open relationship.
    He will probably go to his grave in the closet.

2. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have one yet, but when I do have a partner I'll be strategic. I'll probably post photo of us on facebook, but won't say "this is my boyfriend." I'll probably hold hands after awhile as well. I don't know this is me saying this now, but I'm not sure how I'll change down the road.

3. kosygin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess it's good to test the water first.

4. BelleFromHell

N/A, I've never been in a relationship. Of course, if I was, I wouldn't hide it in public, as long as there's a gun in my purse.

I've heard too many horror stories of lesbians being raped and murdered on the street. Better safe than sorry.

5. TheMailman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't have a boyfriend currently, but if I did it would probably depend on who was around(I wouldn't be openly gay in view of the school's rugby team, for instance). If we didn't feel safe, we'd rather not hold hands or show too much affection. But if we were alone, among friends or just in a "safe" situation(I'd like to think it's safe in the general public places, like a park or mall), yeah I'd be open about it.

6. I cannot be on the down low so to speak. I am very obviously queer. So there is no "in the closet" for me anymore. You can pretty much always tell.

So at that point, why would I be in the closet with my partner? Everyone already knows I'm queer af. Even when people couldn't tell about me personally, my partner and I were open. We get weird looks from older people mostly and we have been screamed at before (that was scary) but for the most part if anyone notices us they don't even bother showing it.

Plus, while we live in a fairly socially conservative area (read: older, white, straight people with money) we're moving to a bigger city in a month where most of the people are more socially liberal (read: poor, hipster, college students).

7. Candace

I have to sneak around and I really hate it -_-.

8. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With my previous boyfriend, we had to "sneak" around because I wasn't out to many people at that time and chose to stay in to select people for strategic reasons or didn't want people to know I was in a same-sex relationship. The sneaky relationship was unbearable so I would be open with a same-sex relationship in the future.

9. patric

patric Guest

I certainly had to sneak around when i was in a relationship. He was out and happy.

10. confuseduser99

I think I'd be this way too. I've never been in a relationship though, so I can't speak from experience.

11. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never been in a relationship, but when I am I am not going to hide it unless my partner has a legitimate reason to want to. ^^ I am done with hiding from who I am now.

12. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, I'm in a same-sex relationship and yeah, that was one thing I wanted- was to not be in the closet. Took me a while to finally introduce my boyfriend to my family but no, now we're really open. Never going to forget just being downtown with my boyfriend and holding hands- openly- and just being out and proud with it.

13. Nope, even though I'm in a long distance online relationship, I still am single to my parents. And I'm planning to keep it that way unless it gets serious and I meet her in real life.

14. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm single, but if I weren't, it would not be a secret.

15. AKTodd

Given where we live, PDA just out and around isn't really an option for my partner and me (unless I want to take up hiding bodies as a new hobby). And we usually have places to be and things to do and dragging along holding hands or the like is quite a time waster. As such we aren't in the habit of it even in places/situations where we could.

However, beyond that we are out to pretty much everyone. Both our families, all our co-workers, the neighbors we talk to, etc.

Todd

16. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We're completely open--sometimes I feel like we have one life between us, I don't even know who I would pretend to be if I had to keep us a secret from anyone.

17. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm open about mine at least to the people I'm out too. Most of them are pretty supportive. It's an LDR so some people have their doubts and don't really know how we make it work

18. TurtleCat

Well, right now I don't have a full-on relationship with the same sex. But I think I did, I'd keep it on the down-low mainly because of my grandmother. My grandmother is religious and homophobic, and I'd rather her not know because I'd like to keep a good relationship with her. So for that reason, I might have it open to some people, but definitely not all... and I think if we were married and living together, I'd tell other people we were 'roommates" or at least my grandmother.

19. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've never been in a relationship, but if i ever am, yeah I would deff have to sneak-around/hide it

20. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I wouldn't hide it. I'd be proud of the relationship I have, but I wouldn't be to pushy either. At least with my past opposite sex relationships, I didn't do any pda and I didn't have the need to publicly display that we were together.

I'd do the same here, but it's also because I'm a pretty reserved person and don't feel the need for people to know everything about me, not even my best friends. So facebook photos, introducing him in events to my family or other people, and eventually if our relationship is strong down the line - holding hands in public.

#20 MassiveExtract, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014