1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do opposites attract?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kosygin, Aug 1, 2014.

1. kosygin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Me and my same-sex partner Frank were together for 35 years, but we shared very little in common. He was a brainy nerd who listened to classical music. I was a pot-smoking hippie (not anymore) who listened to metal music. So I guess opposites do attract.

2. Hexagon

Yes. Magnets are rather predictable.

3. kem

kem

You can't draw conclusions based on just your own experience.

That said, I think the best relationship is when you have a lot in common, but you are still very different. I would feel very confused and awkward if I was dating someone who was my copy. Having similar interests is good and preferable, but he has to have a different personality than I do.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. I've been with my partner for 10 years and even though we have some things in common, we are very different in many other respects. Makes things 'entertaining' at times.

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :lol:

Speaking about people, the research shows that humans actually have a tendency toward homogeneity in mating/finding partners. More often than not, peoples' life partners tend to be pretty similar to each other.

Not to say opposites will never attract, it would just seem to be less likely.

There are totally people that are nerds, hippies, and like metal and classical music simultaneously, by the way. :wink:

#5 Browncoat, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  6. kosygin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congratulations on 10 years Linco

7. Candace

To an extent. I always like a happy medium, since I can learn more, become enlightened, and expand my horizons. If we had nothing in common, then there'd be a lack of conversation. Too much in common and it'd become stagnant.

8. BelleFromHell

Not in my case, I like women who have (a) similar personality, interests, style, etc...

I do like a few differences, though. :slight_smile:

9. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For the most part, I guess from my past experiences with my girlfriends the emotional attraction was distinct from our likes and preferences. Even though I'm a crazy, thoughtful, and an intellectual, most of the girls I dated were not, but there was always something that drew us together. My last girlfriend was a vegetarian, and so am I, that was about the only thing that drew us together.

I haven't dated a same sex partner yet, but I wouldn't like him to be 100% like me, hell not even 50%... it would be so boring having another me as my partner, I'd probably kill him.

10. ZeroDarkness

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have actually read a lot of interesting things about this subject. My best guess is that people sometimes seek others who "complete" them or add something to their life that is different. For instance: someone who is naturally messy and someone who is a clean freak might get along because the messy person seeks someone to clean up and the clean freak seeks someone to clean up after. That's not a great example or even realistic, but it was the best way I could think of explaining it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

At the same time though, I think people with common interests can get along really well also, so honestly I'm not sure there is a "right" answer to this question. But I don't know, I'm certainly no expert ^_^

11. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are a number of coupls I know that are completely different from each other but they get along fine

12. BornAnew

Maybe, I don't have enough experience to say.

I think it is important for couples to on the whole be similar, want similar things and have similar/complementary personalities.

13. One Man Army

Yes, you need to have some common ground. Complete opposites probably won't work in the long term because if you have few common interests or goals, then the relationship probably won't last.

However I know a happily married couple who are very different, and yet they're well-suited. She's very bubbly, loud and extroverted whereas he's much quieter. Despite that, they complement each other. She draws him out socially and he makes her think about things she wouldn't have thought about otherwise.

In conclusion: I'm tired and this makes little sense

14. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They might initially, but maintaining a relationship with your polar opposite for years takes a bit of skill, growth, and determination. After all, we tend to surround ourselves with those who have some things in common, so perhaps our "perfect match" is similar in some ways, but different enough in others, to keep things interesting?