1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Romance, and accepting the other person

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Hexagon

A common complaint I hear from those in relationships is that their partner won't accept them for who they are. I've been thinking about this. Acceptance is commonly believed to underpin the very best relationships. And of course, this is incredibly important. No one will be happy with someone who criticises constantly, and thinks poorly of the person they are. I do think, however, that a good relationship is one in which the partners help each other to grow as individuals, become better people than they were. I sometimes feel this is missed. What do you think?

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ues i totally agree with you dude

3. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    True, but it is also true that you cannot change people who don't want to be changed. Everyone has flaws. You can work on them if you're willing but no one can force that to happen.

Sometimes that is what you have to accept.

4. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

People help each other grow, and I do think people can grow on each other sometimes.

5. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I'll make a great partner then, I accept everyone for who they are. I can't find it in me to hold anything against anyone.

6. Lipstick Leuger

It does not require changing anything about your partner, it requires acceptance. We all come with baggage and the idea is to get to know someone well enough before you take the step of forging a long term relationship that you decide if you can deal with that baggage. That is the trick, finding someone who's baggage you can deal with. You don't change people, you decide if you can live with them how they are. If you do it right, you are not surprised at who and what your partner is.

7. Candace

I totally agree with this, and if the person cannot accept you for who you are, then it's not worth your time anymore. Find someone else who will.