1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For people who speak languages with a different script...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Opheliac, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If you're ever typing in that language, using english script, do you ever use numbers to represent sounds that aren't exactly typable in english?

I'm asking because a couple of days ago, a friend of mine sent me a text in Bengali, saying "kalke as6o?" which basically means "are you coming tomorrow?"

If I were to type that entirely in English, it'd be kalke aschho. The reason she used a 6, is because 6 in Bengali is "chhoy" and so the "chh" sound comes from there, because there's no letter for it in English.

I hadn't seen this before because I very rarely use Bengali while typing (since keyboards are in English, I might as well type in english unless the situation calls for something else) but I know a few people who do.

So I looked at Facebook comments on a couple of my friends' posts, and saw that some people typing in Bengali use 4 ("chaar") for the "ch" sound and 2 ("dui") for the "d" sound, where the d is pronounced with tongue between teeth.

I've also previously seen something similar in the comments on posts by my cousins in Arabic. They use 7 a lot in the words, but I have no idea what it means. Now that I've seen this 6 thing used in a way I can understand, I wonder if they do a similar thing in Arabic with the sound of whatever the word for 7 is in Arabic.

This might be a bit hard to understand for some people, but I find it fascinating. Does anyone else who knows languages in a different script ever do this?

2. BornAnew

Omg i type hindi/marathi in english letters when chatting to some cousins online!! Didnt know others did this lmao! Nah I dont do the number thing though...just use words. Nice shortcut though if bengali uses a lot of "cho" at the end of words (i know gujrati has chay used a lot). I cant think of any common words where I could add in numbers either hmmm

3. Candace

This technically counts...

Sometimes the ñ won't work for me in Spanish. I just write the word out like "manyana" to show that I do acknowledge that the tilde is used, but it's not available on my keyboard/is disabled. Just like España/Espanya.

4. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You can use it for acchha :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: that's the only word I can think of.

5. I type Vietnamese with the regular roman letters when I chat with relatives. Vowels often have some slight modifications such as 'a.' Sometimes it's written with markings on top, which obviously have different sounds and/or different tones.

6. BornAnew

Can you though? Chay is 6...sounds a bit different to the cchha in accha right? lol

I find it cool how english has been so integrated into these languages now....like you get so many english words used randomly.

7. Hexagon

Hmm, I always feel like an idiot in that situation. Luckily, if I press and hold the n key, I get an option for ñ pop up. I've yet to figure out how to do the inverse ? without googling it, though.

#7 Hexagon, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  8. Yosia

My laptop does not have accented characters that i know of so i just dont use them when speaking swedish.
    Eg: instead of- Hallå, hur mår du?
    It will just be- Halla, hur mar du?

9. Harve

I have a UK keyboard but I can easily type é è ç ê ö, which covers German and French, though I switch to a 'UK-International' to type ß.

10. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should learn the key combination. It's a pain at first, but you'll remember it, porque manayana no suena muy bien :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Hexagon

I figured out ß for mine. It's alt+s. Also figured out ¿ for that matter. Alt+shift+/

12. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is punjabi a dialect ?our family is Urdu speaking and English speaking but I kinda see punjabi as slang what's ur opinion?

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I type Japanese and English I downloaded a special program that allows me to type in Japanese symbols using English letters but I have to double tap my space bar to get the right letters and symbols .

14. wdtgg

Out Status:
    A few people
    Just a correction, the tilde goes only on the vowels in spanish (á, é, í, ó, ú on verbs is mainly used on past or future tenses like comió, comerá, it also goes on some nouns depending on which syllabe falls the stress of the word and that rule is difficult to learn even for spanish people), the ñ is a consonant, and the sign is called virgulilla. You do well using ny (although some narrow-minded would be bothered because that's a sign of catalá language but I know not all keyboards have the ñ key, spanish keyboards do). I sometimes use ny or nh (portuguese equivalent), or gn (french equivalent).
    Sorry for such long reply but I do study philology so that's a natural tendency for us, and I just replied for the curiosity it may bring.

About the numbers in a text which the OP said, I don't know how spread is there the mobile spelling/lingo but here is very common so people tend to shorten the words by ommiting the vowels or sometimes just write the sound like "noche" they would write nox, or even nx. We also use numbers for the same reason, like "enfadados" we'd write enfada2, because 2 is written dos. I guess is similar in your language, I could be wrong.

15. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In Mandarin Chinese, there are four tones. When someone can't find the correct markings above the vowel to show what tone to use for pinyin, they use a number to indicate the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tone.

16. Ivysaur

I don't know much of Vietnamese, but my cousins use just basic English characters. Even though the language has a lot of different accents for each letter, knowledge of the language would allow a person to be able to type something without the accent marks and still understand.

My Persian friend, though, types with numbers.