1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding someone in college? Am I too late?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by confuseduser99, Aug 2, 2014.

1. confuseduser99

I feel like my life's already over. I'm 21, going into my final year of college. I was DEEPLY closeted in my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year of college (until the END... Like just before my last exam, I came out to myself).

All throughout school, i would avoid people, almost never go out, and would find it hard to get close to people. I was VERY uncomfortable in my own skin. I felt like I was hiding a big part of me away from the world. I even put on a "straight persona" and was homophobic... I also strictly focused on school and my career.

Now that I'm out, I'm ready t be in a relationship. my question is this: Is it too late? I feel like I've already made my bed, and now I have to lay in it. I virtually have no friends, except for maybe 3, but they're all older than me and have already graduated. I have a few acquaintances my age, but they aren't people that I can simply call up to hang out with.

Has anyone else been in my situation? does anyone have any suggestions? should I make some new friends? how do I do this, being that I'm already in my senior year...?

2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am EXACTLY in your situation. Going into my last full academic year of college.

No, you aren't too late. You being strictly focused on school and your career is a good thing. I passed up on a small amount of relationships because I, too, am focused on academics.

You did not make any mistakes, you aren't too late, you were just being ... you and that's a good thing. You will probably find yourself in a relationship post-graduation or before graduation. Either way, it doesn't matter when you get into a relationship. I know this generation is WAYY too focused on finding THE ONE or settling down.

My advice: Just keep on doing what you're doing. If you find yourself in a relationship before you're done than good for you and if you don't then don't sweat it.

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    21? Your life is just beginning, believe me, so don't worry about the time :slight_smile:

Have you tried going to parties and talking to people? Or you don't like parties?

4. Silas

I can relate completely, never felt comfortable in my own skin, always kept people at a distance and was always too shy/nervous about opening up to anyone so I pretty much just kept to myself and focused on school/career stuff. I finished college not too long ago and sometimes I wish I could go back and do things differently instead of wasting that time I had :/

But you still have your last year of college and your whole life ahead of you, there's plenty of time to find someone! :slight_smile: I know it feels kinda hopeless sometimes but you shouldn't give up hope, it's never too late!

5. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are only a youngster of course its not too late.

6. confuseduser99

I hope you're right! I'm not the party type to be honest, but I wouldn't mind going to a couple this year.

7. Candace

I found my first boyfriend in college. You have nothing to worry about!

8. confuseduser99

How'd you do it? How did y'all meet and take it further (if you don't mind sharing).

Any tips? I don't wanna be #ForeverAlone

9. Candace

I met him at Election Night, 2012, when Obama won his reelection and I watched it in the dining area in the student center on campus. We just had a lot in common and we continued to talk. About a month later, I stumbled upon (accidentally) the LGBT alliance on campus. Well, voila...the same guy was there! So we talked and talked and we started to go out.

10. confuseduser99

AWWW. And well, I'm pretty political myself. I'd love to find my bf through a political event :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Only problem is that I'm more to the right (at least fiscally speaking). Many LGBT people on my side are either deeply closeted or non-existent.

11. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I'm in a similar situation. Unlike your situation, however, I'm transferring schools and will be in college for another four years :rolle:. But no, I don't think you're too late. I've never dated and I have friends my age who've never dated. And hell, my sister and my cousin are both 25 and I don't think either of them have dated until now.

But I feel like I'm ready to start dating. I'm not going to go out of my way to find a guy to date, but I'm keeping an open mind, trying to be social, and if I pick up on something with another guy I might look into it a bit. If you do the same you should be fine. :slight_smile:

12. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i'm worried i will finish college without dating, and i'm not even close to finishing college and i've done it for a long time because after that how the hell are you going to meet people to date

13. confuseduser99

That's what I plan on doing :slight_smile: