1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closeted people: Do your straight friends' weddings make you sad?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ghost93, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Today I went to the second wedding from my group of conservative Christian friends (we've been friends since middle school). And while I was happy for the Bride and Groom (they are a great couple) numerous thoughts and realizations prevented me from being happy by the experience. For example…

1. At the last two weddings my friends have been talking about potential future weddings and what roles we would play in them. This makes me sad because I know that several of these "friends" would refuse to come to a gay wedding.

2. My mom is constantly seeing several other mothers watch their sons get married and being all happy about it. Since my mom doesn't accept gay people I know that when I come out I will shatter her dreams about me finding a girl and giving her grandchildren. Instead my wedding would do nothing but bring controversy amongst my family members.

3. During the slow dance section of the wedding several couples partnered up and danced. It was at this moment I realized how alone I am. I would love to have a boyfriend I could bring to a wedding and dance with him, but that just can't happen…not with this particular group of friends.

4. My friends are already getting married and I haven't even done serious dating before. Never even kissed a guy. I feel like my life is several years behind on what it should be.

5. I know that many of these people are going to fade out of my life whether it be due to them moving away or me ending the friendship. While I'm sure new friends will come in the future, the future is a ways off.

Does anyone else think depressing thoughts at weddings?

#1 Ghost93, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  2. Tardis221B

I can completely understand. When you see people who are able to celebrate their love for their spouse in the open without ridicule, yet knowing that you wouldn't be accepted doing the same, it hurts. It really hurts. (*hug*)

I was just on vacation and my mom was talking about this mansion that hosts weddings in Nevada, and then I remembered, same sex marriage isn't legal there . . . but the US is making progress. It's slow, but its getting better by the month. (&&&)

I haven't actually gone to any weddings since I was about 10, nor are my friends getting married. But being a girl, my friends are always planning their dream weddings, helping plan older sibling's weddings, or talking about their dream guy. It can be quite lonely when you are around people who you have to stay closeted to because they aren't accepting of same gender love. But I always try to find the humor in the situation; when my female friend and I are both scrolling through wedding dresses I can't help but chuckle knowing that I'm totally checking out the models and the dresses and she has no idea :lol:.

And don't worry about the never been kissed, I'm in the same boat. With guys and girls, I've never even been on a date, guy or girl, so its nothing to be ashamed of. The time will come when you find the right person. (*hug*)

Just remember that it gets better (*hug*)(*hug*)(&&&)

3. Candace

No, I feel happy for them. The ones that I don't feel about, I just say "they're too young to get married (at 21/22). They won't last that long".

4. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Weddings are boring, Where's the buffet

5. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know how ypu feel I'm 35 and never really had a proper relationship because of my church. I never want my family to know what I am. So I hide it. Marriage is impossible for me.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It makes me sad that my family will make fun of me and not feel happy for me getting married to a woman .

7. Skov

I'm happy for them, but it makes me sad that a good chunk of the my family would never support it.

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My friend who is bi is getting married to a man on the 23rd. I love her and am happy for her. I will probably start crying though afterwards just because I may never meet someone.

Didn't read this is for closeted people, well I'm half closeted still.

#8 QueerTransEnby, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  9. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

My straight friends are actually friends and very cool and we have fun and I get happy seeing them happy and it is so nice, but I do get a little sad thinking about how I will probably never have this or anything similar. However that happens easily anyway and isnt so much the weddings fault so much as my sadbrains fault

10. One Man Army

I don't get jealous. I've enjoyed every wedding I've been to, even though the food hasn't always been very good.

What bothers me the most is the fact that my family and friends have no idea that I will never marry a woman in a nice conservative Christian ceremony. I'm one of the last people in my circle of friends not to be married (yep, and I'm only 25) but most of them think they will be getting a wedding invite at some point. Not gonna happen.