1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Falling in platonic love. . .

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tardis221B, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Tardis221B

Have you ever fallen in love with someone platonically?

I'm finally realizing that that's what's happening for me with my feelings for my best guy friend. I've never had a friendship get this close this quickly before; I've known him for just under a year. I love him to pieces, and I can't wait to see him. He's my best friend. We goof off, debate, hang out, study together, and have heart to hearts. From time to time I even get butterflies around him, but I don't see him in a romantic way. It's weird for me to imagine the two of us in a romantic setting because he's like a brother to me. I'd be happy for him if he found the right girl, and if they started dating I wouldn't be jealous.

Am I the only one, or have others felt this way about their friends? Falling in platonic love?

Thoughts?

2. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, happened to me before too ^^ It was pretty confusing then for me but now I can better distinguish between platonic and romantic love. Plus my situation at the time made it even more confusing haha. :slight_smile: But yeah, I definitely understand what you mean here.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I mistook this a lot for romantic attraction , but I often heard if you were good friends with a man it meant you liked him .

4. Candace

Yep! I love my best guy friends (4 of them) all like brothers. I wouldn't have it any other way :slight_smile:.

5. I spent six years dating men because I had the feeling you're describing and didn't know that that's just platonic love not romantic love! (How was I supposed to know the difference? :lol: ) You're definitely not the only one.

6. Gregarity

Yep I have two friends like that for me. I care for them with all my heart and they've set my expectations for what I need emotionally from a potential boyfriend before I can even think of giving one my full attention.

7. Data

Data Guest

Oh yeah. When I see certain friends it puts a smile on my face right away and I just like being around them.

I have the potential to love any of them romantically, but I love them platonically because I know they can never love me romantically.

I just enjoy talking on the phone with them about nothing. It can be random banter, as long as I hear the words in their voice.

8. Delta

I fall in "God damn you are just such a great person, I would probably have your babies but I highly suspect I wouldn't like sleeping with you (but if it made you smile, I would probably tolerate it because you're just so great)" love with guys. Mainly the ones who are just really kind and caring people, who I'm very close friends with. It's a different sort of love than I feel for girls, that's for sure. It has more of a "heart just so full of warm fuzzies that I want to hug you" feel, as opposed to the "floor no longer exists, air is scarce, I want to kiss you and hold you and marry you and screw you right there on the floor right now." feel with girls. :lol:

I've stopped worrying about it when it happens. I've never had anything come of the feeling besides a continued wonderful friendship. I think people get overlap when they care for someone so much a certain way that it can be confused with caring for them a little bit in a different way. :slight_smile: