1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not having any LGBT friends

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by roryoswinpond, Aug 4, 2014.

1. roryoswinpond

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I often find it really annoying that I don't have any LGBT friends in my life, not for like dates and stuff just to talk to and relate with. I never feel like my straight friends understand (why should they).

Does anyone else have this problem?

2. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

It's not as much of a problem for me as "even" my straight friends are quite acceptive, but I do wish I had some LGBT friends at times. :slight_smile:

Ah well. We have EC.

3. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have the same problem.
    I've only ever met 2 gay people, and both are friends of a friend.

Although, I don't really find it that bad.
    As I'm not out, crushes and sexual orientation are never on the agenda among friends to talk about and so I've found it easy not to talk about it at all.

Places like this are a good start. You'll meet some people and hopefully get on. :slight_smile: As years go on, you'll find out who's been gay, like you, in real life the whole time and perhaps you'll get a chance to get along with them and become friends. Who knows?

4. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Hey, you. Yes, you over there.
    He's not gay.

But I get what you mean, and I agree.
    It's not a necessity to have LGBT friends, but I'm certain it can be a welcome addition.
    Just as EC already is. :slight_smile:

5. roryoswinpond

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah I understand both of you, it just feels like it would be nice to have people like that, on the internet or irl.

6. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Well, you're in the right place already.

EC is, for the most part, a wonderful community, and many fellow LGBT members will be there for you on here, should you have any worries or issues, or just a need for some LGBT themed conversation. (*hug*)

7. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah it kinda bums me out that i don't have any LGBT friends IRL, but maybe that'll change this year :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :wink:

8. BelleFromHell

I don't have any LGBT friends, either. Apparently, I don't conform to the narrow-minded stereotypes assosiated with lesbianism.

9. edgy

edgy Guest

i wanna be lezbro

10. Sakuresia

Sakuresia Guest

I feel the same way. Even in my country LGBT is considered as taboo thing. Many people can't accept the existence of LGBT cause of the strict of tradition. What I can do is only to hide my real orientation because if not they will all hate me. I hope to find more gay friends to talk with in EC. Hope you can find some friends too

11. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I most definitely feel the same. All my friends that I know of are straight (or not out yet), and I wish I had some more LGBT friends because although my friends are great, I think some LGBT issues (and also lighter hearted ones like I just want to talk about girls sometimes :wink: ) would be easier discussed with LGBT people.

At least we have EC which I'm super grateful for.

But yeah I think if I had LGBT friends my questioning process would've been smoother too. Like I had no one to talk to about what I was thinking, doubting, and going through, and everywhere I turned my friends were all talking about hot boys and how great boys are, and dating and all that. I was just stumbling around lost and pretty confused haha :slight_smile: Until I found here very recently of course.

12. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to start meeting new people, quickly. Most of my friends now me for a long while and despite the fact that I've come out to them, some believe I might still be straight and I'm confused. I wish I had LGBT friends that I could talk to about this situation, it'll make me feel a lot better, but I can only feel comfort in this website, because of it.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I know of some LGBT folks, but they're friends of associates. The few times I run into them, though, they always gravitate towards me; we discuss multiple things, but they tend to dump all their non-heterosexual thoughts, dreams, curiosities, and concerns on me. Once again, another clue to people, that I'm not heterosexual, but people chalk it up to the likeable persona, LOL.

It doesn't really bother me. To be honest, I don't know if I could find, the vast assortment of knowledge, passion, and potential out there, as I do here. At least not as easily, or as rewarding.

14. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have no LGBT friends and certainly wish that I did/do. It's been very hard to relate to people, I don't need to list off the benefits of it, we all know them.

Location is part of the reason, much of the area around me is quite rural. That doesn't mean there isn't people, and I feel it's quite strange that I've never got to know anyone who is gay but it's not like a city which is packed.

I have a small but large family tree. I only ever talk to my mum and dad (no bros/sis) but I have an enormous amount of cousins. Only a few I'm in touch with, none that I know of are gay. The reason for the "small but large" is because although there's a huge family tree, there's a bit of a division (not a good one, think there was a falling out before I was even born!)

So yes, it would have been nice to have family or friends who are gay. I would have almost certainly came out and discussed feelings and share experience etc. But I don't have it, so have to go without :slight_smile:

15. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Part of the reason I joined this site is because I don't have any gay friends and I needed to vent out feelings to people who could relate somewhat.

16. wanderinggirl

I just want a group of lgbt friends to go out with and collectively be awkward instead of me being awkward by myself omg guys why can't I talk to girls.

In seriousness... I think it takes time to build connections. It's important to make friends the same way anyone goes about making friends: find a social group you have something in common with, or go out and start talking to people... just put yourself out there. And don't conform to stupid stereotypes while you're at it... heck I'll shave my armpits if i WANT to shave my armpits.

17. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have none wish I had some .

18. patric

patric Guest

I certainly hope to find LGBT friends as well. EC hopefully will be a good starting point.

19. thekillingmoon

I don't have any lgbt friends either. It's like I'm living in a straight world and this forum is a whole different world where people like me exist.

20. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have two gay friends who are awesome. No lesbian friends. One of my ex bi girlfriend is still a good friend of mine. And I still keep in contact with another ex girlfriend (bi) but she lives 2 hrs away now. :frowning2: My boyfriend is bi so it helps that he understands my issues. I dated 2 other bi guys but we don't speak anymore. Most of my friends are straight and awesome. But I do feel the same way. I wish I had more LGBT friends especially more bi friends... and yeah the same as you said, not to date just to hang out and talk to people who get you. I love my straight friends to death. They are invaluable friends. But sometimes it would be soooo nice to have some bi friends who really and truely understand me. That is one reason I was so glad to find this site; to connect with understanding people and talk about stuff that I just can't always talk about with my straight friends. :slight_smile: