1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a difference between being buzzed and being drunk ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stocking, Aug 4, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I heard there's a difference I think being buzzed is also called tipsy:confused: .
    Well I want to know if there's a difference .

2. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

There is NO DIFFERENCE the city has began advertising that here, "driving buzzed is the same as driving drunk"

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

According to the law, no. Buzzed is drunk.

But, most people, see it as part of a spectrum. For me, I've heard it described as such:

Buzzed: Level 1. You're smiling more.
    Tipsy: Level 2. You're dancing more.
    Drunk: Level 3. You're talking more.
    Wasted: Level 4. You're annoying more.
    White Girl Gone: Level 5. You're either dead, or you wake up, passed out atop a pizza.

Seriously, that last one. That was told to me, by a fellow at a liquor store. Whether or not it's official, doesn't really matter, it was too LOLzy not too mention again.

4. the haunted

Like Kaiser was saying, it's like a spectrum. Which makes total sense because as your blood alcohol level goes up, you get more drunk. And the drunker you get, the better you think you can dance haha :eusa_danc

Most people I know use "buzzed" to mean that they're feeling good, but aren't too far gone at all.

And "drunk" would mean that you're REALLY feeling good. Your words slur and you start saying crazy things. Or at least that's what I do. You'd have to get drunk to really have a good idea of what I'm talking about.

5. Lesbeme25

Lesbeme25 Guest

I think buzzed is lightly drunk and drunk is heavy one
    Cuz when ur buzzed u know it kicks in and u feel dizzy
    But when ur drunk it kicks hard u feel dizzy,ur havin a headache,and u dont feel good some vomit asap some are just laying down and some are just on someones house puking on de toilet haha!^^

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was level 3 kaiser (!)

7. Data

Data Guest

I agree, spectrum.

For me buzzed is 1-2 beers. I'm chatty and a little more out of my shell.

Tipsy is like 3 beers and I start getting silly.

Drunk is 4-5 beers. I start slurring and getting the spins. I laugh at stupid stuff, get lonely, and I don't care what the beer tastes like at that point.

Toasted is like 5-6 beers. I'm spinning so hard I'm puking and I can't talk right at all. I just have to sit there and puke for an hour until I can get up and go lay down without aspirating and dying...

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been buzzed in the middle of the day without even realising it. It just means I'm happier, talk more and laugh more.

9. Yeah it's a spectrum.

But there's not enough difference between the two to justify getting behind the wheel of a car 'buzzed'. That's just stupid.

10. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, assuming the phrases are being used in the context I typically hear their being used in, your blood alcohol level (percentage of alcohol present in your blood stream) will be lower when "buzzed" as compared to "drunk."

11. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on what your definition of "buzzed" is. Usually for me it's about two beers in. I can feel my face is starting to get a bit flushed and that mentally I'm starting to enjoy the atmosphere a bit more (ie. Enjoying listening to the jukebox or watching people dance) but I would still blow like 0.05-0.06. Yea I will drive home buzzed.

12. ShyFlame

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This is how I distinguish between the two:

Buzzed: A bit chattier than usual, somewhat less reserved, but still tactful in speech and mannerisms. Still able to use sound judgement. Minimal to no slurring of words.

Drunk: Annoyingly chatty, completely unreserved. Says rude things and does things that results in stares and whispers. Impulsive and easily manipulated. Throws out a whole sentence every once in a while.

13. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The word buzzed is a word made up by those who drink that is typically used to say "hey I am beginning to feel the effects of this alcohol I have been drinking but I am not to drunk to drive". That's one hell of a mouth full so it's easier to say "I got a buzz".

14. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

As someone thay i buZzed now and maybe csnt get drunk anymore, yeah it is definitely a spectrum. But treat it likebeing drunk like sont drive or make bad decisions :/

15. Delta

Being buzzed is when I laugh too loud and start wanting to dance despite my whiteness.

Being drunk is when walking without running into walls gets hard. :lol:

16. LiquidSwords

My grandma calls it being merry, she's never been drunk apparently

17. Jenna0780

I think Kaiser nailed it.

I usually don't get past 2 or 3. I hate feeling sick in the mornings. I never drink enough to have a hangover, just enough to loosen up and slur my speech a bit. I'm a terrible dancer, though, so I usually try to stick with level 2. However, I'm a sucker for a good red wine.

18. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no difference, if you feel "buzzed", your blood alcohol is sufficiently high to affect your judgment (which is the first thing to diminish with alcohol); such as deciding whether you are able to drive a car or whether or not to use a condom.

If your blood alcohol is above the legal limit for driving, you are legally impaired and a menace on the streets. If you are sufficiently drunk to diminish your inhibitions with regard to safe sex, you are increasing your risk. Full stop.

19. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Well I apologize for my being a stickler for semantics, but there is absolutely a difference.

A person having drunk 3 beers will absolutely have a lower blood-alcohol level than the same person having drunk 6 beers in the same period. Seriously, logical fact. Cannot be denied. Period.

And while I agree that both are bad ideas to combine with driving, a 0.08 content is definitively better off than a 0.16. Again, fact. Undeniable. Pointless to argue...

Again, I know that's not your point - but you don't need to abandon logical constructs to make it. And, furthermore, stocking's question wasn't about how the phrases relate to driving under them. So you ignored the question in the first place...

20. robotman

There is a difference but sadly when I drink I never drink to get buzzed (lightly drunk), I drink to get drunk lol...