1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on blind dates and "set ups"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jybby, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Jybby

Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't really know why, but a lot of people in my life, for some reason, are trying to pair me up with people. Just today a friend of mine from the coffee shop I frequent asked me if I would be upset if he tried to set me up with a friend of his.

I've had people setting me up with others in the past (I had a couple "friends" convinced I just needed to meet the right guy) I'm not really sure how I feel about it? I mean, at least the people trying to get me dating now are actually setting me up with girls, I guess.

Have you had anything like this? Did it end well? Any cool stories to share?

2. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the idea in principle but the execution often sucks.

Let's face it, if I am your friend and you have another single friend that you think I would like and want us to meet, well I'm cool with that. Why does everyone try to set it up as a date? Calling it a date builds pressure and expectations. Instead if you want me to meet your friend"Joe" why not invite him along next time we go out to the bar or grab lunch together? That way I can meet Joe without any pressure or expectations, I will probably be relaxed and more myself because I'm around you, and the same thing will probably be true for him. Yea, the two of us will probably include you in the conversation more than each other, at least at first, but we will be able to meet and decide if we like each other without any pressure. Then afterwards if Joe likes me and starts asking questions you can approach me with "Hey you remember Joe from the other day? He wanted me to give you his number." (or the opposite if I tell you I like Joe)

3. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Usually a friend will want what's best for you but like Redneck said It'd be much nicer if they brought along the friend and introduced them to you on a night out, lunch or something.

4. Scary! What if people get set up with ex-cons and people who are insane? Also, I don't think they turn out too well so most likely, they won't have chemistry.

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Myself? Never done it.

But my parents met on a kinda-sorta blind date. It was seriously my aunt telling my mother, "so we've got this brother-in-law that we really want to get out of the house - would you be interested in meeting up with him?"

They're still together...seemed to work out fine. (And considering this, I'm laughing my ass off at you folks saying "no way in hell," by the way :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :grin:)

#5 Browncoat, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  6. Candace

Me? Never ever! I don't trust the other person and I have to know about them and what they're like in advance.

7. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well that is how I met my current boyfriend. My friend said I should txt his brother that he thought we would be perfect for each other. So I txted my friend's bro and we went out. He was head over heels for me the moment we met. I wasn't so sure about him at all. But I gave him a chance, and I am glad I did. Turns out we are perfect for each other. Best decision I ever made is letting my friend set me up with his bro. You just have to give it a try. It might not work out. Then again, it might be great. You just never know. Put yourself out there and see what happens would be my advice.

8. the haunted

Sounds awkward. Since I'm wading in the teeny tiny lesbian dating pool, I'd probably just go along with it. What have I got to lose? As long as it's a group thing.

My parents actually met on a blind date when they were 16. Still happily married :slight_smile:

9. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

Didnt know blind dates were still a thing lol