1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Oprah Voice) GAYCISM (stereotypes)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by urnxtGBF, Aug 5, 2014.

1. urnxtGBF

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    who is sick and tired of everyone thinking gay kids are just a bunch of people who's lives are high school musical :kiss: although ive never kissed a boy i still:kiss: think that movies like GBF are just a way to throw stones homos. the movie that speaks the truth is geography club thats a must. watch :rolle:

2. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yea I know what you mean. I hate musicals and I'm gay.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Shows about gays and lesbians hardly ever get it right.:dry:

4. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Stereotypes are a b****, if there's a gay character in a show that is shown as the stereotypical gay, It infuriates me.

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Me too . I wish they did a mixture of both stereotypical and non stereotypical gays.

6. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really like musicals but I love films that involve the creative process of an actual record... even the bad ones like Glitter.

There're exceptions, of course. I loved Hedwig and angry inch but not for the music

GBF seems like a "gay version" of Mean girls, that movie itself is artificial

7. Candace

Yeah, that's why I really don't like shows like Glee. -_-

8. Hexagon

Gaycism? Really?

9. julianne

Unpopular opinion: I agree that most shows/movies get it wrong, but at least they are a step in the right direction? Stereotypes suck, but a lack of representation sucks even more. If television producers feel that they have to use stereotypes to make gay media accessible to the average viewer, so be it.

Most gay characters aren't an accurate representation of the gay community in any way shape or form. But imagine how much better things would have been for us if there were people like us on TV, in movies, in books. The more people see LGBTQ media, the more accepting they will become of LGBTQ people. I strongly think that producers/writers will smarten up and move away from stereotypes eventually, but we've got to give them a chance right now!! I try and support as much LGBTQ work as possible, even if it's stereotypical. It's a step in the right direction, right?

The media portrays stereotypes for almost all groups of people. Stereotypes are a cop-out that allow writers to avoid creating varied and realistic character bases. But representation is representation. It will lead to more acceptance, less heteronormativity, and less LGBTQ youth growing up thinking that there is something abnormal about them. I may not like the stereotypes, but I will support those shows, films and books to the death.

10. MDNA

Out Status:
    A few people
    idk if you have watched The Office (US) but [SPOILER ALERT] a character that's not so major is depicted as gay, and they've actually done a good job lol. Not stereotypical at all and doesnt always revolve around him being gay

11. PurpleGrey

That's actually half the point of G.B.F.

I wonder if those who criticize the film have even seen it.

What really pisses me off are movies like Chuck and Larry. In what twisted world is it logical to claim your movie is pro gay rights and shit, while perpetuating every last stereotype in the book? Even the lawyer, supposedly such a gay rights activist, is just out for a gay best friend! :bang:

12. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

People still view us as the butt of jokes. I love the big bang theory, but throughout the course of the show every now and then they make a joke like this:

"Leonard Hofstadter: Howard, I appreciate the effort, but this is like, the worst date of my life.
    Howard Wolowitz: Seriously? I was once robbed by a pre-op transsexual I met on JDate, and that didn't even crack my top 10."