1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do people tell me that I "act" white;; its annoying!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mind Freak, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Mind Freak

I'm not your average person, I break the mold sometimes without meaning to and sometimes by forcing myself to think outside of the norm.

But people are always telling me I act white.
    What is acting white? Why do I have to be "acting" anything?

Why can't I just be a well put together guy without being considered why.

All my positive attributes people associate with me "acting" white;; I'm fairly intelligent, speak with proper grammar most of the time; I don't curse or throw out the N-word. I try to be on my best behavior all the time. I use the manners my family taught me. And I don't use slang all that much. Why does having those kinds of positives make me a oreo (black person on the outside white person on the inside)

Also I wear Hollister, and AE, Aeropostale, stuff like that; mostly polo's and t's that fit me none of my clothes are baggy, and I wear Sperry's and Rainbows.

But why do people see me as a "black guy acting white" just because I'm the way I am or have the style that I like and feel fits me.

And more importantly how do I get them to shut up with that?

The only thing I'm worried about is being the best person I can be and being happy with myself and I would just like for people to get off my case and stop making stupid comments.

Like today one kid said "Devan, why do you dress like a cracker" : |

2. Nodnarb

Pretty much, unfortunately.

As far as the rest, just be yourself and try not to pay attention to what other people think.

3. Noah

People are always going to make fun of anything that seems different. I had a friend dealing with the same stuff. He played basketball, and even the white guys made fun of him for not dressing black enough. Don't let it get to you.

4. ok455

I get that a lot just ignore it. When i was in high school they would talk about anything and everything. The more you feed into it the more they willl make fun of you

5. Mind Freak

I don't really let them know it bothers me I just shrug it off.

6. Ambrosio

Ambrosio Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Mind Freak -- I applaud you. You break the stereotypes, DON'T ever conform.

Trust me don't get insulted. If a white person was dressing black. (THAT would be insulting to the black community)

So don't worry about it. Dress the way you want. Being called white isn't a bad thing really. lol.

7. Level N Human

Ask them why they act as if there's a dichotomy between "black" behavior and "white" behavior.

8. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As a black person, it pisses me off too. Even though it's been a while since someone has said that to me, I just hate that mode of thinking. It's like, "excuse the hell out of me for being myself." :icon_roll

And I absolutely abhor the N-word.

9. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Teenagers can be stupid bastards for loads of reasons. Trust your own morals, your own self, and try to ignore their stupid comments. :slight_smile:

10. shakerdancee

Just tell them that they act fucking ignorant.

11. -Michael-

Youre also a dirty poofta ghey(/bisexual...whatever) :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: BREAK THE MOULD!

dont feel any pressure to act dufferently just because people expect otherwise.

12. Mind Freak

Lol. What's a poofta?
    I don't feel pressure to act any differently than I do;;

I'm one of a kind. x D

13. -Michael-

a poofta...if a puffta which is a puff which is a ghey which is a gay aha :slight_smile:

14. Mind Freak

Lol. I would not have figured that out on my own.

15. silentsound

QUOTE=Mind Freak;302245]Is high school like the years of ignorance or something?[/QUOTE]

I think you just hit the nail on the head, darling

16. Shadow

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    They're just ignorant and are relying solely on stereotypes. Don't feel pressured to change the way you act. In reality, there's no such thing as "acting black" or "acting white" or "acting whatever", you're just you. :slight_smile:

I once was assumed to be mixed just because I'm quiet and quite introverted. It's also assumed that because I am black, I listen to hip hop and rap when in reality, I don't like either and listen to hard rock, rock, alternative, and even foreign songs.

As far as getting people to stop saying things like that, for one, inform them that being a certain race does not shape your personality and who you are. You're a person just as they are with different interests, likes and dislikes. Your race has nothing to do with it.

Perhaps just by continuing to just be yourself and breaking stereotypes, people will be able to see for themselves that they aren't always true.

17. Brija

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people have to follow certain "norms" to feel accepted by the group they identify with. These norms are based in traditional and often stereotypical Beliefs. by establishing those "norms" for themselves they also inadvertently establish "norms" that other groups are suppose to follow. if someone acts outside the norms they've established in their heads, then that person is "acting black/white/whatever..." Its perpetuated by the media, etc. They've basically just been trained that way.

others, like yourself mind freak, aren't trained to adhere to such nonsense. basically your adaptive and adhere to your own norm which is great. It also show that your will power is greater than theirs.

and the next time you hear someone say something about you acting white, just remember that your completely normal and they've essentially just been brainwashed.
    If it weren't so prevalent and accepted as normal by so many you could almost consider it a small psychological disorder...almost.

18. Étoile

I know how you feel Mind Freak. People have told me all types of things about me:

"You're a coconut."
    "You're not black, you just have a very bad tan."
    "We don't count you as being black."
    "You try to be like white people."
    "How are you black and don't like basketball?"

And these comments have been said by Black, White, Asian, Indian, and Hispanic people. So it's not just one race saying it.

I really don't understand when Black people say these things. It's okay to tell another Black person to conform to all the stereotypes but when a non-Black person calls them out, they're offended.

19. Mind Freak

^^^ I KNOW RIGHT!
    What kind of bull is that. x |

20. Chamber of Life

I hate when people say that. I've had it said to me before and what is "acting black or white?" It's the wa you act and carry yourself. It has nothing to do with being black or white. There isnt a certain way. It's stupid and ignorant for them to say that. Personality doesnt have a color.