1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the most gay friendky states in the US?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MDNA, Aug 6, 2014.

1. MDNA

Out Status:
    A few people
    i've been told that the south is racist, homophobic etc
    and that california and new york are pretty cool? :slight_smile:
    which ones are the ones to avoid?

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's what I say would probably be the least/most accepting:

Most Gay-friendly:

- California (Because of San Francisco and Los Angeles. 2 major gay capitals)
    - New York (NYC is also quite liberal, but I've heard intolerance has happened there in recent years. The Stonewall Riots happened there, which is why we have Pride parades).
    - Illinois (Because of Chicago, another pretty big gay capital).
    - Minnesota
    - Iowa

Least Gay-frendly/Most Homophobic

- Mississippi
    - Alabama
    - Louisiana (With a very strong exception of New Orleans)
    - Arkansas
    - North/South Carolina
    - Oklahoma
    - Kansas (Home of our favorite church, the WBC)

I could be wrong about some of those last ones being *the* most homophobic.

3. Candace

I was going to say what the guy above me stated, but you can ad to the least: Georgia (or anything outside of Atlanta), Tennessee, Kentucky...

4. Lukas17

I think you can add Utah to this list too.

5. BelleFromHell

The south is, generally, pretty homophobic, but Georgia is a huge exemption.

To give you an idea, I was born and raised in the Atlanta area, and almost everyone that I've come out to there has been accepting (with the exemption of two family members who insist I'm "confused," but they're just way to hung up on stereotypes). The only family I'm not out to is my extended family. All of my parents know.

Now I live in Clermont, which is in the north Georgia mountains (A.K.A. rural). I recently came out to several neighbors, and none of them have a problem with it. Some of them have even been to gay clubs! So, basically, Atlanta is the most accepting area, but the acceptance has apparently spread throughout Georgia.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Hell yeah! My state!

LOL.

7. California (LA and San Francisco)
    Washington State (notable for legalizing gay marriage by ballot)
    New York (Stonewall riots)
    Massachusetts (first to legalize gay marriage in the US)

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard some fun things about Utah. More like things that tell me "Even if you're straight, it's basically no-man's land"

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maryland/DC are very gay friendly, as is pretty much every state continuing up the east coast.

To the not gay friedly list, I'd add: Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, North and South Dakota. And also Arizona.

10. AAASAS

Any significant metro area in the southern states will be tolerant. Even Texas....etc, it's not like you can have a large city that doesn't include diversity; sexual, racial.....etc. in North America, it's impossible. Some cities are more tolerant than others, and some cities are located in states whose countryside is highly homophobic, but you can live in any major city in the U.S and be gay and it'd be alright.

It's not like any of them are located in a jurisdiction that denies their existence like all of Iran.

I'd think New York, or Michigan or any state basically touching Canada would be the most OVERALL gay friendly, that is in the country and in the city.

Most of these states aren't highly religious, so generally New York is much better than even California because of it. California is still full of wacko religious extremist they went back on their gay marriage laws. Only the metro areas of California are tolerant, but there are millions of people in small towns, and in the metro areas, that are full fledged homophobes.

You do not find that kind of widespread homophobia in New York. It is a lot more like my province, socially and economically than California, and my province makes California look like Texas. So ya, don't doubt the North on an overall acceptance level. I'd go as far to say Maine, and the rest of New England are a lot more accepting. They really don't have that hardcore American feel that other states give you.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Sorry to nag on California, I just hate how San Fransisco and L.A are able to represent the entire state. There are 32,000,000 + people in California, it's a lot more than those to progressive cities. California is more populous than Canada, it's diversity is huge, and the state is partially hick, Hollywood is like 1/10000th of the states size. It doesn't represent the state.

11. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm from Utah and I actually wouldn't put it on the list. I mean it certainly shouldn't be in the list with New York and California but it's just not that bad.

On the other hand my husband is from Oklahoma and we don't really have issues when we are there either...

12. MDNA

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you guys for your advice :slight_smile:

13. edgy

edgy Guest

I thought AZ was pretty tolerent, I've seen many equality stickers and couples up in flagstaff

14. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Michigan is awful, even most of Detroit outside of a few random pockets.

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've heard of more examples of violent crime coming from the NY area in recent years, but that could be due to higher density than a lot of other states in the west. But yeah, I think sometimes people forget that a huge chunk of our population lives in "hick towns" in the interior of the state, so while laws might change, societal acceptance might take a bit longer. The amount of discrimination I've gotten from healthcare "professionals" is pretty ridiculous, since they're technically supposed to be neutral.

Then again, most places look like Texas when compared to "Godless" Canada and Northwestern Europe :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Gen

Gen

Truthfully, the same could be said about the rural areas most states and countries; Canada included. The eastern center of the state (central) is essentially where the extent of the homophobic concentration lies. LA and San Francisco are frequently referenced because they are often deemed two of the most LGBTQ dense cities of the country; however, as someone who has experienced life throughout the state, that is not to say that the surrounding areas are not very LGBTQ friendly as well. The majority of Northern, Coastal, and Southern-Inland California are still quite pleasant for those of the community, all of which dominate in the sense of population concentration.

The rural areas of the state are immensely less populated, than the coastal and neighboring areas; which is why it carries such a high degree LGBTQ friendliness statistically.

17. Lukas17

My mistake, sorry. I thought about putting Utah in homophobic states not in other category.

18. Sam.i.am1130

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Add another vote for Washington state.. Ive been all over CA and WA.. and WA is REALLY LGBT.. look at all the bands that have come out of WA in the past 30 years..

19. Candace

I mean, if that's something to be proud of...:lol:

20. ouji

ouji Guest

Portland, Oregon is very gay friendly.