1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could I 'get away with' earrings?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Damien, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To wear something, even just silver studs on a day to day basis to keep the holes open, while out and about in the 'straight cis world'? Or will it out me to those who notice, as 'not straight'? I live in a bit of a cultural backwater part of Melbourne, really. If I lived more in the City, I would just do as I pleased, but I feel I need to be more careful where I live. What do folks think? Can I still fly under the radar with regards to straight folks, with studs in my earlobes?

2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I couldn't speak to local standards where you live but where I live silver studs or tiny gold hoops don't even register as non-straight--not in the slightest.

3. Lipstick Leuger

My very straight son wears earrings, including hoops, in his ears. He looks like a pirate. It's in fashion now that Justine Timberlake kinda made it famous. It would not make you look gay.

4. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I suspect it is much the same in this day and age even where I live, but when I asked my (now ex) a few years back, she said "no, you can't do it, or it will make you look gay". So I got a bit paranoid after that. But I don't really care what she thinks, not having been with her for many years now. Plus, yes come to think of it, I know a few straight guys who have rings in both ears...so I think I will just go ahead and do as I please. Thank you for your reply. :slight_smile:

5. BelleFromHell

Yes, I've seen plenty of straight men wear earings. It's not out of the ordinary.

6. Shamash

At least where I am, as long as your earrings aren't hanging or overly feminine it probably won't be noticed. It's kind of odd, but I'm pretty sure small earrings and studs are becoming more common for hetero males. I can't be sure, though, so it might be best to see what other people say.

7. ProtegeMoi

I have pierced ears (gauges with wooden buttons), lip, upper cartilage and a rook piercing. I've never had people think I was gay because of them. I've never had anyone ask me about my purple skinny jeans, mohawk, painted/glossy nails, shaved body hair or any other thing i do. I just look like a punk or artist to most I guess.

So no, i dont think cnservative earrings shouldn't ping on peoples radar. Many pro athletes wear diamond studs. Id say go for it. I think theyre hot on most people. Edgier is good.

I live in a fairly homophobic/religious/conservative part of Kentucky.

What outs me is my personality, interests and body language

8. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks everyone for your replies, after reading the first few I already made the appointment to get it done :icon_bigg I can see now that it's not a big deal at all, I think I was just hesitant because of that thing my ex said all those years ago, that "it's ok for dark haired, stronger looking guys, but if you do it, you will look gay, because you have a more androgynous manner & appearance" (or words to that effect). But you know what, I really don't care what anyone thinks now, and besides even if it did look 'gay' on me, well what of it? - and I do appreciate all of your helpful replies. My lobes are getting the studs in on Tuesday morning. :slight_smile:

#8 Damien, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Men wearing earrings is something that, for the most part, has lost it's controversial luster. Sure, there are some kinds that might raise an eyebrow, like those HUGE chandelier-looking ones with the diamonds in them. But, again, for the most part, this isn't a very big deal, at least not around where I am, or in general that I see.

10. the haunted

Tons of straight guys wear earrings. It definitely wouldn't be a dead giveaway to your sexuality. Maybe if you wear the fake gauges people will just think you're a hipster haha.

11. I've seen many guys wear earrings. My 8th grade science teacher actually wears hoops.

12. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've seen plenty of guys with earrings.
    You should be fine as long as it's nothing too flashy.

13. otter

I've seen TONS of straight guys with earrings, and I personally don't think it makes you look "more gay." But then again, I live in Southern California.

14. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure if things are different in Australia, but here (Midwest U.S.) earrings are definitely not an indication of a man being gay. I know a few straight guys with earrings and even more with gauges.

Go for it. :slight_smile:

15. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Were I live all kinds of guys have earrings. Maybe they would think you're gay if they were feminine earrings or something, but otherwise I think you'll be fine

16. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yea all kinds of people wear earrings these days. there used to be a myth where the right and left ear would mean your sexuality but, that got quickly debunked. so feel free. from where i live, theres a crapload. as long as it's not too flashy that is.

17. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that you should be able to pass with little to no problem.

18. Candace

I know plenty of straight people on campus that wear earrings. It's practically the same as getting a tattoo. It doesn't register that you're gay.

19. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well that's a scary thought...but no, I'll be wearing just some gold hoops with a nice, deep lustre. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2014 at 06:16 AM ----------

I've got the gold studs in, they have to remain in for six weeks, until the holes are healed up. No-one treats me any differently, except a few older folks have seemed to sort of raise an eyebrow...but really I'm getting beyond giving a rats' about what anyone thinks at present. Thank you for replying, anyway. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2014 at 06:22 AM ----------

I just noticed all the replies...I will just say a collective 'thank you' :slight_smile: to everyone who replied. I do feel much more at ease because of your encouragement, and I must say, as soon as I had those gold 'training studs' through my earlobes, I felt better, like "at last...this is something I've needed to do for a long time".