1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Public transport fail

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Maddy, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dear Maddy,
    It's not that hard to get on the right train. Your dad doesn't enjoy getting a frantic phone call saying "hi, I kind of took the wrong train and have no idea how to get home, I'm at (station about 45 minutes away), can you please come pick me up?"
    Yours in facepalmery
    -Maddy

Why do I fail so hard? D:

#1 Maddy, Sep 6, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  2. -Michael-

ahaha :')
    I hate public transport.
    There always someone who want to kill me sitting behind.
    Someone who hasnt bathed in days next to me.
    and some old fat man sticking his legs out when i get off the bus.

3. Derek the Wolf

I've never had a problem with the train, but I always have the stops memorized before getting on, so it's not exactly hard.
    Try to do that, and pay attention, no you'll have no problem.
    Or if that fails, you could fina an alternate form of transportation. I recommend hang gliding.

4. davo-man

I used to be really bad at public transport...Like I couldn't catch a bus to save my life, but being in uni has changed all that. I figured out in the first week what I needed to catch and when I had to be where.

However, I'm really apprehensive about the public transport when I go international in a few years. I mean, I'll research it and everything, but $20 bucks says that I get lost in Paris and call someone to bail me out (although I know no-one there hehe)

5. panda

When I lived in Melbourne, years ago I was always nervous about catching the wrong train.
    Quite often I did and had to go back to the beginning.
    ..it happens to everyone.:eusa_doh:

6. KatzInHatz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Other then the school bus, I have no idea how city buses work:eusa_doh: It doesn't help that I'm bad with directions also:lol:

7. Tim

Tim

Same... I used to take the bus with my mom when I was little, but other than that, I'm clueless :confused: I took school buses a few years, but still clueless about them nowadays.

8. jazzrawr

I was scared crapless of public transport before i went on a trip to Europe...but after 10 days of walking and subways and streetcars, i've gotten pretty used to it. XD
    Although I've almost been hit by a streetcar, a subway, a car and a bike in Europe. :|

9. pirateninja

I officially hate buses.

They come at a specific time and if you are late, then you're screwed.

I always arrive late and end up waiting for the next one. :grin:

10. BeautifulStranger

I know how you feel
    I'm in Germany right now and it's my second week in Bremen (I spent a month in Gera before hand). I can get to places by bike, but that's it.
    Anyways, my host sister puts me on a bus today and rambles off a whole bunch of German, none of which I 100% understood.
    Thank god I recognized one of the stops and walked home from there.

11. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In good news, I managed to take the right tram today.

12. Micah

Oh noes!

Silly goose ;p

13. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hehe.. I live in the suburbs of Melbourne, and where I am public transport is basically busses and there's a train station somewhere.. Like 20 mins away or something.

I've caught public transport in the city and it was actually a breeze. Minus the fact that the bloody screens in the trains which are meant to show the next stop are always stuck like 5 stops behind. >_>

[RANDOM TIEM]

And Southern Cross Station is so dull (going random here I know). It's just grey and concretish and blech. WHY DON'T THEY HAVE PRETTYFUL COLOURS ALL THROUGH IT.

I VOTE A GAY GUY REDESIGN IT AND MAKE IT RAINBOW.

[/RANDOM TIEM]

14. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Not so random, it was the station I started out at. We did manage to bring a little splash of queerness to the station (before I got on the wrong train) - there was a group of about 12 of us, and right outside trhe station there was a group of Christians with a big cross and a sign saying "REPENT FOR YOUR SINS" or something like that. So two of the girls started making out in front of it. Epic win.

15. Vampyrecat

I remember the one time I was allowed to catch a city train by myself.. I spent the day in inner city melbourne and shopped, then came back to my sisters on the frankston line...but I had to be home before dark :frowning2:

And I'm still not allowed to go to Minus 18 for that reason. It runs after dark :frowning2::frowning2:

16. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't allowed to take city trains alone until the start of this year, when I was 17. I didn't exactly inspire my parents to give me more freedom the first time, given that I got on a tram going in the wrong direction. The first time I went to Minus18, I was only allowed to stay until 6:30, and get picked up by my dad from the venue. They still insist on driving me most places. But now I'm on the Minus committee (got voted in as a member today! Yay!) and extending the curfew. Hang in there, and give it time (*hug*)

17. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ROFL firecausesburns, nice one! If I had a partner I would totally do that.. [suddenly daydreams about making out in front of preachers]

And I really want to go to those GLBT events for teens... But it's a bit aukward since even though I'm out my dad still doesn't know.
    >_> And parents don't like me catching public transport by myself to far away places.

18. Amy

Amy

i take the bus alot. except to school, because i dont want to get up before 6am. its good for the environment, and it keeps me out of the house longer. plus i can hang out downtown for an hour and just say the bus broke down :slight_smile: ive taken it so much, i know some of the drivers now. and i gave one a rainbow peace sign necklace yesterday. lol

there is bart(bay area rapid transit), but you have to walk under 580. yeesh. scary. even though i love going under the bay...probably because that means youre almost to sf.

but i love trolleys. theyre just so awesome!

i used to get on the wrong bus alot. it sucked.

19. lexie

trains are very stressful! a very stressful means of transport cause they are always so packed, so i avoid them at all costs. my dads a train driver though, so when im dragged along for a day trip or something with everyone, my dad is always the one who sorts out our travel plan and what trains we need to catch if we need to take more than one etc, so i dont concern myself with that-he always gets us where we need to be on time. he STILL gives me the same lecture's though everytime, say a train is coming in... 'dont stand too close to the edge as the train is coming in, c'mon stand back, no further back!-now watch the gap as you step on' hah. i guess parents always think of you as their baby even when you are grown up. :lol:

but buses i dont have a problem with, they are normally pretty regular and unless its packed and there are no seats, i find using buses stress free.

20. Jeimuzu

Yes, but to be fair that's 90% of the population in our fair and noble town.

Either way, I've never seen public transport messed up as bad as in San Francisco. It's awful! It's totally tourist-unfriendly. There seems to be several different forms all over the city, and none that just runs all over. It's like they all claim their own 'zones' and none of the others can run on it. I ended up walking down to Fisherman's Wharf rather than get the annoyingly overpriced cable cars. $5 when everything else is $1.50? *coughripoffcough*

Oh, and the walk from Post Street to Fisherman's Wharf is about twenty minutes of annoying hills. Especially if you go down Taylor street, which is really pretty much where I was while I was there. Grrr. Because that route goes through Nob Hill, and that's like putting a hill on top of a hill. It's the only town I've ever seen which really needs a built-in system of escalators.

The city itself is lovely though. :grin:

#20 Jeimuzu, Sep 8, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008