1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A response to the people in my community

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Aug 6, 2014.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I write this tonight with tears in my eyes. I'd never let homophobic slurs and that sort of stuff get to me, but after seeing today's paper at the office, I can't hold it in anymore. I wish I had the nerve to send this in, but I'd rather not give away my identity to my small hometown. My town is the place people move to get away from this sort of stuff, and I thought was generally filled with good people. I never knew that so many people in that town my dad brags so much about were so hateful. All it took was a neighboring city to pass an anti-discrimination ordinance and it really brought out the worst in people, and everything I say here was actually said in the opinion section or the online comment section over the last year or so with the gay marriage debate going on. So here goes.

I'm the guy you said "engages in vulgar, disease-infected sexual practices." I'm the guy you called a pedophile and said hopes to see the age of consent laws repealed. I'm the guy you compared to Dylan Klebold, a mass-murderer. I'm the guy you said should have no legal protections whatsoever because I "thumb my nose at god's word." I'm the guy you said wants to destroy the Christian faith. I'm the guy you called filthy and gross. I'm the guy you called a minion of Satan. I'm the guy you think is "flaunting my lifestyle" in your face. I'm the guy you had to shield your kids' eyes from because there was a gay pride float in the Fourth of July parade. I'm the guy whose rights you voted away in 2004. I'm the guy you compared to a prostitute and a stripper. I'm the guy you told to get back to painting my boyfriend's nails and suing the Boy Scouts. I'm the guy you accused of intentionally spreading HIV. And yet,

I'm the guy who changed lanes so you could merge onto the freeway. I'm the guy who let you go ahead of me at the grocery store because you only had one item. I'm the guy who slowed down so you would have room make the turn out of a parking lot onto a very busy road. I'm the guy who obeys the law, pays his taxes, and tries to be a good citizen. I'm the guy who minds his own business and believes in the principle of "Live and let live." I'm the guy who's learned not to fight hate with hate, no matter how hard that may be. I'm the guy who treats you with the same respect that every human deserves. I'm the guy who fails to see why you just can't find it in your heart to do the same.

2. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's beautiful. Tell us what paper to send it to.

3. the haunted

First of all:
    (*hug*)
    I'm sorry you're having a crummy day. You've done the right thing by coming here instead of doing something crazy.

Second:
    Wow. That's really, really good. Truly beautiful and painfully true. It's really such a shame how people are. How we the people of the LGBT community always have to prove ourselves. How we have to make the extra effort to appear extra kind or extra reserved so the homophobes can hopefully "forgive us" for being queer. So they can give us a free pass by saying, "Yeah he does nasty things in the bedroom, but he's a nice guy." Disgusts me. But your writing is good. I think you should try to get it published in your city's paper. Anonymously, even.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys, and I agree, haunted. Sometimes it's a necessary evil, and don't worry. I won't go off the deep end. :slight_smile:

5. Candace

Bravo! I'm really sorry that you've had to go through this, like the rest of us :frowning2:. What you really touched me and I was happy to read it :slight_smile:.

6. MDNA

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm so sorry that that shit happened :|
    dont let it get to you :slight_smile:

7. SeaSalt

I'm so sorry to hear about this. In the UK if a newspaper tried printing something like that it would count as stirring up homophobic hatred which is Illegal. You did the right thing by not taking the bait.

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really wish hate speech was illegal but it can't be here in America. Thank you First Amendment.

9. olides84

Can't you send/post this anonymously to your paper? It is quite moving and could put things into perspective for vast majority of people in your town who are neither hardcore allies nor hardcore assholes.

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I finally decided I'm going to print it off and send it anonymously. I've mulled it over all day today and I've decided I'm going to do something about it.

11. SeaSalt

Good Luck!

12. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good! I really like it :slight_smile:.

13. Candace

Good luck with that! Please give us an update, either on here or in another thread that you create :slight_smile:.

14. the haunted

:thumbsup:

15. otter

AMEN! :eusa_clap

And I'm so glad you're sending it in! :icon_bigg