1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward convos with relatives when they don't know ur gay.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by blueberrykisses, Aug 7, 2014.

1. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm sure we've all had many of these extremely uncomfortable conversations with relatives, you know like an aunt asking 'Why haven't you got a boyfriend'? etc

When I was in high school my mom would always ask me if there were any boys I liked. I would angrily say no and immediately start talking about something else. She's always suspected I was gay because I was always very effusive about female celebrities or whatever.... this one time she looked into my eyes and said 'Promise me you won't become a lesbian'.

Then I was at my aunt's house a few years ago and she asked if I had a boyfriend. My mom was immediately like 'SHE IS NOT INTERESTED IN BOYS. SHE IS GOING TO BECOME A LESBIAN'. I got really angry and was like NO. And then my mom said I once told her when I was very little that I was going to be a lesbian when I grew up. I don't remember saying that and I don't know if I even knew what that meant when I said that though.

Then a few days later we were with my aunt again, my mom said something along the lines of me being lesbian again and my aunt started talking about how her daughter (my cousin) goes to this gay bar with her friends regularly and she was like, 'don't you wanna go with them (laughing as if its a laughing matter)?' and I was like nooo... it was so terrifying because my dad was sitting right there and that look on his face... it's just horrible.

Just the other day I was at another one of my aunt's house and we were just sitting around and my mom was talking about how she's worried about me not having enough money while I'm at uni for the next three years and then my cousin was like 'Dont worry, she'll get herself a man!' Horrible thing to say, even if I was a straight girl, and I was incredibly offended, not as a lesbian but just as a woman and a human being.

I was also listening to a Lana Del Rey snippet of that song where she sings 'My pussy tastes like pepsi cola' and it was that 10-hour version on youtube where all she says for ten hours is that line and I left it on and my moms like: Why is that song so repetitive? What does she say? (she doesn't speak English) so I translated it to her. And she got so angry and she was like: Why are you listening to that?? Do you enjoy listening to women talk about their... TURN IT OFF'

I used to be very effusive about Lady Gaga and she would always ask me if I was in love with her, so I just stopped talking about her, I don't even mention her name anymore.

Then I was sitting around with another one of my cousins and my mom. And my cousin was like:
    'It's about time for you to become 'friends' with a boy'
    Me: Shut up
    Cousin: You dont want a boyfriend?
    Me: Shut up
    Mom: You want a girlfriend?
    Me: Stop
    Mom: You want a girlfriend
    Me: MOM STOP.

Then the other day I met up with two of my best friends from elementary school years and I'm pretty sure they both suspect I'm a lesbian and we were talking about dating and she was like 'So... do you have a boyfriend ...or someone?' I said no and she asked why not. I just completely ignored her question and changed the topic.

It's to the point where I've avoided socializing with EVERYONE because it's just unbearable. It ALWAYS gets brought up. ALWAYS.

I could go on and on, unfortunately.

Oh how sad. :rolle:

Did you parents ever ask you if you were gay, or out you to anyone?

#1 blueberrykisses, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. SomeLeviathan

Most of my extended family is pretty accepting of QUILTBAG people. Luckily the more conservative/homophobic members of my extended family don't talk to me because of my philosophical and political positions.

So there isn't really much awkwardness for me. I'm pretty sure most of them know anyway.

3. the haunted

Well before I was out to my dad, I was out to my mom. I remember something like America's Got Talent was on the TV and this gay dance duo was performing. They weren't very good, but they were alright I guess.

My dad commented on how people only liked them because they were gay or something like that. There was fire in my eyes and my mom saw it. It was awkward because I wanted to scream out, "Well you know what dad, I'm gay too!!" but I didn't.

It's like when someone tells someone else a yo momma joke and they're like, "My mom is dead." Now THAT'S awkward.

4. Najlen

My mother effectively did. (ask me if I was gay) I told her the truth, and she was fine with it, as I knew she would be. My grandma asked me if I had a crush on a boy, I said no, and she replied with "Well, I'm sure you will someday!" I wanted to say, "No, I doubt it. I'm gay. I like women." but I didn't. All of my grandparents are always saying things like "You're such a pretty girl" and "Your hair looks so cute", you know, all that stuff grandparents have to say. I am very genderqueer, and sometimes male, and I don't particularly enjoy being described as cute. However, my family (except for my dad) is somewhat undereducated on the subject of gender identity; my mother doesn't really believe there are more than two genders even though I attempted to explain otherwise, and I think explaining my gender fluidity/queerness would be hard on my grandparents, especially since at least one of them (and probably more) have very specific ideas of how a woman should look and behave. Don't get me wrong, they're wonderful, accepting people, just a bit old-fashioned. Wow. I didn't mean for that to turn into a long rant. Sorry.

5. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Regarding my gender, there have been a lot of awkward lines; not really with the sexuality, though. I get the "You're so cute," from my friend all the time (even though I'm out to her) or "You're so beautiful," from parents and relatives, which makes me blush. They take it like I'm flattered, when really I feel super awkward being called that. Whenever I get called a girl or by female pronouns I feel awkward and want to curl up. I guess it's not as awkward as your situation because your mom kinda knows and hints to it, but I still feel pretty weird. Oh, and there's the classic "But... You're a girl!" line. I just want to say at that point, "Ehehe... You see, I'm not really..." but I don't.

6. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most of my family knew I was gay a while back. However, we had a visit a few month ago from family I hadn't seen probably since I was about 10. Anyway they were asking all the regular questions about my life before getting to the topic of... Girls. So they said,"so you're in a relationship right? "so I said" yes" waiting for the next question which was "what does she do, where is she from, what does she look like do you have a picture?" so I instantly replied, "she's a he" at which point the conversation went dead. It was highly amusing for me I must admit.

7. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I absolutely hate being asked these types questions by practically anyone. I never know what to say. Before I knew that I was trans, I spent parts of my life sometimes wondering/thinking that I was gay due to my leanings towards the fairer sex. I've gotten asked by mainly maternal family members (I am pretty certain that they think I am gay). As a result, I haven't gone out of my way to communicate with the majority of them. I'm dreading having to deal with this when I re-get to know my fraternal family. I know that this is something I will get asked in their desire to get to know more about me. *sigh* I've also gotten this with friends/acquaintances.

Usually the typical questions are things like: "So, do you have a boyfriend yet?", "He likes you. Why don't you like him back?!", "Have you ever had a boyfriend?", "Have you ever been interested in dating", "Why don't you think he is attractive? What's your type?", (etc.)

Me: (internally panicking) "No."

Them: (Deeply alarmed, they get on the defensive) *gasp* "AHH! OH MY GOD! WHY NOT?! What's wrong?!"

Me: (Really panicking and trying not to let it show) *makes some sort of excuse* "I'm too busy. I have no time to date." (etc.)

I've gotten remarks that I have the time but I don't make the time to do this. I've even gotten matchmaking offers… -_-

I hope that some of them genuinely do mean well, but I wish they would be more considerate and mind their fucking business.

#7 PlantSoul, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  8. Higs

I bet everyone had this classic at some point: someone who doesn't know speaking about your future and saying wife/husband. Gets even more awkward when some people in the room know and some don't.

9. Candace

Considering how half of my family comes from a small town that basically shields out any outside influence, I find conversations like these to be quite awkward at times. I just say "no, I don't have a girlfriend because I don't have the means to have one right now", which is true and not lying at all.

10. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My mom brings up my future husband and children all the time. I'm just like 'go fuck yourself' in my head, I know that's really bad because it's my fault too that she doesn't know I'm gay but seriously. She knows I despise children so her assumption that I want children is so fucking delusional. It's fucking annoying how ignorant she is.