1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think it's okay to kill a 'Fly/Spider/Ant' etc.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BornAnew, Aug 7, 2014.

1. BornAnew

It is time to address a very important issue!

Do you think it is a morally okay to kill fly's, spiders or ants? Basically small creepy crawlies?

I know people who do so without thinking and show no remorse. Some people do it & feel very guilty *puts hand up* , and some people actively avoid doing it.

For me I saw everyone doing it without much of a thought since I was little so I thought it was normal. But then now I do believe it is technically cruelty and I say sorry to the insect as I deal with it. I'm still extremely scared of them so my natural instincts make me do harm to them. I wanna stop that though and instead practice the 'capture & free' method where you catch them in a glass & open the window.

What about you?

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I tend to avoid killing an insect, if it can be helped. Now, with snakes, it's pretty much a do or die approach. I'm not really in the mood to get bit again, that shit sucks, and Copperheads really do care about your attempts to remove them. You can obviously tell, I once tried to be diplomatic with a snake, which horribly, horribly failed.

Usually when I run into insects, they tend to either be outside, or they find their way into my shower. If I can, when they are inside, I'll pick them up with a glass, because living in Kentucky, you have no idea what is and isn't poisonous. It isn't like Australia where every damn thing seems like it can kill you, but it tries!

3. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I try to avoid killing -any- living being at all costs. (With the exception of some humans).

Even though I absolutely -hate- wasps with a passion, I will not try to kill them.
    The only time I ever kill any insect is by instinct or accident. If a mosquite bites me, and I feel it, I just snap and hit that spot. I can't help that, reflexes! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Other than that, no. They're just living.
    I couldn't justify killing them for no reason, so I just put them outside.
    Which can be a hasse. But hey. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

I strongly believe that beautiful dragonfly landed on my hand and let me view all it's beauty up close once simply because it sensed my positive karma regarding animals! :slight_smile:

4. BornAnew

Oh my goodness you get snakes near you? That's quite scary!!!

In that sense I think the UK is very safe animals wise...we have no harmful animals here really, apart from the ones in the Zoo, and humans :roflmao:

@Black Rave

Wow that dragonfly story is so nice...animals obviously like you lol.

5. SeaSalt

I actively try to avoid killing insects just in case they ever grow into super smart giants that hold grudges. Flies however are annoying little bastards that just blindly fly into my face when I'm trying to do something which requires concentration, when the time of the insects comes I'm trusting the giant spiders to protect me from the giant grudge holding flies!

6. Data

Data Guest

I used to, but I've since stopped.

Here's my stance:

I view the smallest biological process as a miracle. The fact that life started on this planet is incredible in the first place. Any kind of biological process is an example of the extraordinary circumstances that exist here on this planet. Each spider, fly, and ant that I see are examples of extremely complex biological processes. DNA replication, protein synthesis, Glycolysis, electron transport chain, protein pumps, etc. are all hard at work inside that spider. I took great joy in learning about all these things in school. I was 1 of 3 students in my Advanced Molecular Genetics course. I cared that much about it.

Killing that spider ends all of those magnificent processes that I love so much. It makes that living collection of molecules, dead and unable to delay entropy.

Also, what gives me the right to end those processes? Why should I end those processes? Just because I don't like spiders? I don't like the FORM that this assembly of biological functions took on, so I just end them all because they creep me out collectively?

So I don't kill anything anymore without good reason. The other day I was cleaning the shop at work and I found a moth on the floor with a broken wing. I tried to pick it up, but once I saw it was missing the wing, I just stepped on it quickly. The other day I came across a bee on the floor. Knowing that it would sting me if I had intervened, I just killed it. I still feel bad about ending its life, but I would have felt miserable if it had stung me and sent me into an allergic reaction (I'm very allergic to bees).

If I come across a spider in the house, it depends where it is and if it's venomous. Those little tiny ones that live in the shower? No, I don't kill those. The occasional black widow I find in the shed? Yeah, I kill those.

7. SeaSalt

Badgers can be vicious and I was chased by a Cow before, Its dangerous in the UK. I'm moving to Australia!

8. BornAnew

Okay enjoy giant spiders & fly's that can swallow you whole then mate!!!! LOL

@Data

Yeah a miracle is a very nice way to look at it :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

9. Silas

[​IMG]

I don't often get to kill them cuz I'm too busy running away from them.... EEEEEK

10. BornAnew

Why is he talkin bout bugs in a room with fish tanks? :grin:

11. One Man Army

I don't like killing insects or other small animals but I eat meat so I guess that makes me a hypocrite.

Anyhow, many invertebrates are in decline so for that reason, I try not to kill any. Unless the species in question can cause real danger to humans, I don't see the point in killing a creature just because it's hairy or icky. Most of the time, you can just as easily throw it out the window. Then again, I'm a bit of an insect geek.

12. SomeLeviathan

Yep. Vegetarian, but not a utilitarian, so I don't really have a problem knocking off insects

13. BelleFromHell

I'll only kill a bug if it's bothering me. I usually let them go about their buisness. As for spiders, well, I usually just run away from those fuckers while screaming like a 7 year old girl.

14. PurpleGrey

The way I see it, if they don't die all the time, they will take over the world and enslave humanity and make us roll around turd balls with our feet. Okay, I'm not that crazy, but we have to kill bugs now and again to keep the numbers down. Of course, I personally only kill the potentially harmful bugs that carry disease and parasites and shit.

Mostly, I just want cockroaches dead. They scare the bejeezus outta me! I can handle spiders and ants now and again, but I have panic attacks at the sight of nasty bugs. June bugs, millipedes, silverfish, beetles, mosquitoes, etcetera etcetera.

15. Pax

Pax

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can't kill bugs any more. I'm pretty scared of a few...wasps in particular, and spiders to a lesser extent...

But whereas I used to kill them quite gleefully when I was a kid, for years now I've been unable to do it. If I kill or hurt something accidentally I get really upset.

16. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't care. I'll just leave bugs to their business.

17. Samantha2014

When I think about killing insects I am reminded of my days in school, where the bigger kids beat crap out of me cause I was smaller and different. They had no right to do that to me just cause I was smaller and different I have no right to do it to insects just because they are smaller. Whether they are able to think things the way we do or not, they have a purpose and each day a set of tasks and needs to complete and it would not be fair for me to purposefully get in the way of that, just like its not fair for people to prevent me from being me and completing my tasks. Live and let live when possible cause there is always someone bigger. :lol:

18. YourSoThirsty

Ill usually pick them up and put them somewhere else i don't believe in death to an innocent insect or anything for that matter unless it deserves it.

19. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If there is a bug or spider near me and I can kill it, I will.

I also come from a family of hunters, so we hunt and kill our own food.

20. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

depends on how close it is to bedtime and their proximity to my bed