1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EC Chat Etiquette

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by uniqueusername3, Aug 7, 2014.

?

On EC Chat, is it acceptable to say "bye" and then leave without waiting for acknowl

Poll closed Aug 9, 2014.
  1. Yes. Of course it's acceptable to say "bye" and then leave without waiting for acknowledgement.

69.2%
  2. No. When leaving the Chat, you should wait for everyone else to say "bye" before leaving.

30.8%
  1. When departing from the EC chat room, it's common to say "goodbye" or "bye" or "got to go" or some other such sentiment.

A heated debate has taken place between myself and RedDev84 as to whether it is really necessary to wait around for other members to acknowledge that you are going, before you actually leave. Obviously, all reasonable people will agree with me conclude that after you have said "goodbye" it is perfectly fine to then exit, and not insulting at all to those who remain online. RedDev84 seems to think that this defies the supposed social conventions of the chat room, and after saying "bye," members should be forced to wait for every other member to respond in kind, before actually exiting.

What do you think?

2. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I believe that leaving after saying "goodbye" is perfectly fine.

Sometimes real life comes crushing into our room when we are enjoying a digital activity such as a chatroom, and make us leave in a hurry.

And even if it's not in a hurry, as long as one did say goodbye, what could possibly be the problem?

Now if any participant of the discussion you were part of had something really important to say after you left, they can send you a bloody pm.

#2 Black Raven, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  3. BornAnew

I think it's perfectly fine to just leave unless you were having some kind of an intense deep emotional convo where you could just let the other person say bye just to end that on a good note.

I've been in the chatroom though so dunno how it works there. I always thought it might be scary for some reason lol.

---------- Post added 7th Aug 2014 at 11:16 PM ----------

I think it's perfectly fine to just leave unless you were having some kind of an intense deep emotional convo where you could just let the other person say bye just to end that on a good note.

I've been in the chatroom though so dunno how it works there. I always thought it might be scary for some reason lol.

4. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Polite people of EC - WE WANT YOU!

Clearly, Unique is very biased in his posting.

Dedicated EC members, if you were in a conversation of a group of friends or colleagues, would you, without warning, suddenly up your roots and acknowledge your departure with an abrupt "BYE" to your fellow peers and just walk off without allowing anyone to respond? No, only people with poor social skills do that.
    The same concept is right here. Unique thinks it's OK to do just that.

Unique makes it out that you have to spend a lifetime waiting for everyone to send their appropriate responses. There's clearly a lack of common sense there, which you the good members of EC do have and will therefore easily be able to agree with me.

Surely though, just pausing for a brief few moments to allow any well-wishers the chance to return the goodbye isn't too much to ask - for politeness sake? It's just basic manners.

5. timo

There's a chat etiquette? Why didn't anyone tell me :lol:

On a serious note about this issue: I honestly don't care.

After saying goodbye, I usually wait for another minute or so before I actually leave. If someone replied - you're too kind. If not, because people didn't see it or there was an active conversation going on so no time for goodbyes - all good but I'm not gonna wait until that's over if I have to go.

6. EC Chat Etiquette Poll

Vote NOW

7. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Re: EC Chat Etiquette Poll

Don't be fooled into such a ludicrously biased poll.

If you consider yourself polite - you'll vote NO!

8. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Let me think about this...

No.

I won't let you enforce socities "rules" of a real, proper meetings with people, face to face, on a digital chatroom.

It IS a digital chatroom.
    It CAN be a place for intelligent, entertaining, deep or just downright silly and amusing discussion.
    But ultimately, it is ONLY a chatroom.

People could leave with no notion at all.
    I consider people actually making the effort to say "goodbye" to be polite already.
    Demanding more would be unreasonable.

And I consider you, RedDev84, a posh bastard for calling people out on not fulfilling just these unreasonable demands. Your standards are not everyones standards.

#8 Black Raven, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  9. Bolin

If you wait for everyone in chat to tell you "Goodbye" when you announce that you're leaving, especially when there's a good amount of people in there, expect to wait in there for days.

10. Hexagon

You know, honestly, whatever. If you're going to be hurt by someone leaving after saying goodbye, then that's your problem. Just be relatively nice, it isn't a big deal.

11. What? Me? Biased?

Nonsense. I'm completely balanced and objective at all times.

12. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

This is exactly why the poll is biased. I never suggested anywhere to Unique that you should wait for everyone, but allowing a few seconds or so after to allow those who wish to respond surely isn't too much to ask.

13. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seriously people, let's b grownups here and stop arguing about something as silly as this. There are simply different views on how one should act, and that is not something that should be seen as a reason to start a fight. Everyone will not act just the way you(this 'you' is directed at anyone who is reading this, not just one person, mind you!!) would see as the right way to, and you will have to accept it. :slight_smile:

I did not think I would be the one suggesting grownup behavior :grin: Oh well.

14. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I'm honestly not sure if the two of you aren't just trolling. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Bolin

The only people I ever expect to get goodbyes from are the ones I'm privately chatting with. If I'm participating in a conversation in public chat, then I'll announce when I'm leaving. If I've been silent for awhile or have only been carrying a conversation with someone in private, I'll even leave without saying anything as to not disrupt the flow of conversation. I really don't think it's that big of a deal, and this is coming from me, someone who's big on manners and respect for others in general.

16. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Starting to think so too :grin:

17. LD579

I'm pretty sure they're both being not very serious at all, you guys. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

#TeamPanRaven.

19. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wonder if i should load the Potato Gun for this fight...

For now, if this is serious, i agree with Black Raven, it's just a chatroom, saying goodbye and then leaving is enough.

20. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Please for the love of all you value, don't use hashtags with or on me.
    I detest hashtags. I refuse them, I even try to deny or at least ignore their very existance!

Yeah. I'm old-fashioned in some regards. :lol: