1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is abortion morally justifiable?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jahow95, Aug 8, 2014.

?

Is abortion moral?

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    80.2%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    19.8%
  1. jahow95

Yes or no? And why? I assume that this is the case, so take for granted that the unborn child does not experience pain.

2. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am so torn on this due to religious and political reasons.

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What's more moral, forcing a woman to have a child, or letting her have a simple medical procedure where NO HUMAN LIFE is lost? Let zygotes be zygotes. Forcing a woman to carry a baby to term that she doesn't want to is barbaric.

4. jahow95

Personally, I don't see a problem with it, if the unborn person is not going to feel any pain, has no perception of the world around them and will be unwanted. I don't know how to explain why I differ in opinion that abortion is right and murdering another person is wrong, I'll have to have a think

5. AKTodd

I picked yes, but since I see morality as just a made up imaginary thing created as a social control mechanism, I don't see it as ever being relevant to any situation (unless it's a discussion on methods for manipulating people to get what you want, I suppose).

Until the collection of sperm and egg cells develops sufficiently to support a human brain/nervous system, it is functionally little different from any other collection of cells in the body that we would remove without a second thought. So who cares?

The issue of potential is irrelevant, unless we are to consider every sperm, every egg, and (given a sufficiently advanced cloning technology) every cell in the body as a potential human being and treated accordingly.

Todd

6. robclem21

I think every case is different and the issue as a whole cannot be treated in a single way as moral or immoral. I think there are times were it is justified and times when it is not, but I will leave those for another day as this issue is generally best left untouched in most instances.

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally think abortion is not the right choice however I do believe that it is the woman's right to choose what they do with their bodies. Abortion just seems like terrible thing to me and it feels like murder. I was born with several disabilities and to think of a woman having a abortion because of the possibility of the child being disabled makes me think that could of happened to me and I would never of been here. So when you put that in perspective abortion is just not a good thing to me personally.

8. Higs

I voted yes. There are infinite scenarios and probabilities and everyones life is so different that you aren't anyone to make any choices for them, especially one as big as having a child. Addict parents, extreme poverty, war zones and just in general f'ed up world we live in, sometimes it's better not to bring a child into this place.

9. jahow95

I understand your viewpoint, but I find it hard to believe that you have no concept of what is right or wrong - even if it is a 'made up imaginary thing' and you do not feel obliged to follow these rules.

10. Esper

I don't see a problem with it, provided that both parties (=the would-be father) agreed to it.

#10 Esper, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  11. Candace

I picked yes.

12. thekillingmoon

I believe it is. I don't see an unborn fetus as a human. I'm not saying it's something that should be taken lightly, but if the situation requires it, it's better to abort than have an unwanted child.

13. Sabot Kitty

What trimester or stage of development are we talking about here? That's pertinent.

14. SomeLeviathan

based on what moral system? Utilitarian? Kantian? Virtue?

15. jahow95

@SomeLeviathan
    Your beliefs

---------- Post added 8th Aug 2014 at 02:20 PM ----------

Give your own thoughts at whatever stages you see as important

16. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't really say it's moral or immoral, as I don't really think it's a good measurement of anything. Nobody's moral belief system is entirely the same, and even the most collective moral beliefs (i.e. murder is wrong) can be subjectively altered when placed into a particular context (i.e. the death penalty).

The biggest problem with the abortion debate is probably that both sides actually are trying to measure it based on morality, thus having an argument essentially reduced to this ad populist state in which you're right if the majority of the people around you just happen to agree. The reality, however, is neither side doesn't actually do anything to engage each other. And why should they? Those who are 'pro-life' consider the 'pro-choice' camp as baby killers, and nobody would possibly want to be around such people. The 'pro-choice' camp consider the other side as fascist, interfering, patriarchal agents of female oppression, so why should they engage in sensible discussion? Consequently, both sides have been reduced to completely dysfunctional shouting, under the guise of discussion.

Honestly, the 'pro-life' movement is the more dysfunctional and manipulative side, which is frustrating given that a few of their arguments are actually quite convincing (many aren't - and it's those which tend to dominate the discourse of this issue). It's not really any wonder a woman does not feel comfortable giving birth to a child that she cannot keep, because Government's across the world still inadequately look after children under their protection. It's no surprise that here in the UK, children are moved in and out of foster homes at such a frequency that there's no time for them to settle in, instead living everyday wondering if they're going to be visited by a social worker and 'moved on'. On the off-chance they do get adopted, it's a gamble on whether they'll be with their siblings. In regards to education, they tend to fair off worse, which isn't a surprise considering the impact that home life has on academic prosperity.

If the 'pro-lifers' and their Governments created a child-centred fostering and adoption system that strived for (and demonstrated) excellence, I suspect you'd see many more women keeping the child with the aim of allowing the state to find it a loving home. Women do not use abortion as a form of contraception, and they are typically more traumatised and shamed by the experience than anybody else ever could be. However, when the only choice they have is aborting before it becomes a life or allowing a baby to be born into a system overrun with dysfunction and failure, I can't say I blame the choice they make.

If pro-lifers got off their high horse and focused on fixing the broken system, they'd open up a whole new avenue of options for women. Instead, they opt for pointless options, such as making laws that demand invasive ultrasounds in which the woman is *legally compelled* to look at her ultrasound before the doctor can abort.

So, no, abortion isn't moral, but when you look at the way we treat the 'children of the state' who are already here, it sort of lets you see that it's not immoral to not force that dysfunction, displacement and pain onto a child.

17. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are slavery and torture moral? No? Then restrictions on abortion aren't moral either.

I don't think it's remotely acceptable that the bodies of people having a uterus should be up for debate.

18. Hexagon

Yes. Two reasons:

1. A fetus is not a baby. It is not capable of independent thought, it has no personhood, feelings or desires. It isn't conscious or self aware. If, then, this is accepted to be true, for abortion to be morally wrong, it must be argued that the fetus's potential for the above qualities give it the same rights as a human with those qualities. However, there are plenty of other things with that same potential, namely sperm and eggs. You'd then have to accept that male masturbation, periods, and not having sex so that sperm die are all immoral as well. The choice not to have children would be immoral. Not to mention being gay.

2. Even if (and I'm not saying this is the case) you accept that the potential for the qualities I mentioned above gives the fetus the rights of an adult, I would argue that it does not have an inalienable right to use of the parent's body. The fetus would have the right to live, yes, but saying that it should then be helped to live at all costs is to misunderstand the meaning of the right to life. The bottom line is that the parent controls their own body, and are not obliged to allow a fetus to grow inside said body if they don't want. Their right trumps that of the fetus.

19. SomeLeviathan

I don't subscribe to any particular moral or ethical system.

with Kant's categorical imperative you can really go either way.

Either we setup the hypothetical "If someone gets pregnant, they can have an abortion", now universalize that. Well what if everyone had an abortion when they were pregnant? The human race would cease to exist eventually, so it fails CI.
    BUT CI wasn't meant to be used with nuance, so if we create this hypothetical "If someone became pregnant by sexual assualt or incest, or their life were in danger, or could not support the fetus, they can have an abortion". Now it works when you universalize that.
    But that doesn't really account for situations where a person would want an abortion for another reason. CI also has a bunch of metaphysical stuff that you need to accept with it that causes problems for the system.

I think the stronger case lies in Utilitarianism. With classical (Bentham, Mill) Utilitarianism, if the suffering caused to the fetus (depending on the age, little or none) is less than the good of the person carrying the fetus, it is OK. There are of course different formulations of utilitarian ethics that may give you different results.

Consequentialism is also likely to allow abortion

I'm not firmiliar enough with Virtue ethics to make a statement about that.

Eschewing moral systems entirely, my personal feeling (which is not a moral compass) is that a person should be able to have any abortion without having to jump through absurd hoops and prerequisite examinations etc like occur in some states in the US. This, for me, is grounded that you have a fundamental right to do what you want with your body. Again grounded by the age of the fetus. Third term abortions provoke a somewhat emotional reaction for me, but that isn't a moral compass, and the doctors and the person carrying the fetus know what is best for them in their situation, so I don't support legal restrictions on age of fetus for abortion either.

Basically I object to you phrasing this as a moral question when you are really asking how people feel about abortion. If you want to ask if something is morally justifiable we need to ground how you go about figuring out what is morally justifiable and what isn't before moving forward.

That's my inner-Hume talking a la there isn't any more to how people ground morality for themselves than their emotional sentiments.

*shrug*
    this is what happens when you read too much philosophy.

#19 SomeLeviathan, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  20. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Couldn't have said it better.
    Cheers Bryan :thumbsup: