1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long do think it will be until Disney animates a lead character who is LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tardis221B, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Tardis221B

When do you think Disney will make and animate lesbian princesses, gay princes, ect . . . if ever? Specifically ones that are verified by the writers.

I like to think that it won't be far off, but I'm doubting that's the case. Although I do have my fingers crossed that if they make a sequel to Frozen that they won't make Elsa marry a man. I hope that they'd either let her stay single or have her fall for a girl.

2. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haven't seen frozen myself so can't say.
    I have no idea when it will be but it would be a massive leap forward in terms of getting accepted :slight_smile:

3. Esper

I'd hate to sound like a troll, but do you really think that children would care about that? Heck, they wouldn't bat an eyelash.

4. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I believe at an age where they haven't had a lot of time to get used to the traditional "man/woman" marrying and love situation, they wouldn't bat any more of an eyelash than a "man/man" or "woman/woman".
    There'd be a certain age, maybe over 6 or 7, where they'd recognise it as different but wouldn't really care. They'd be happy for the character they loved watching the film.

On topic, I think it'll be a while. Don't see this type of movie happening much time soon as much as a bald Barbie doll promoting beauty regardless of facial features, or lack thereof.

#4 heyguyswhatsup, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  5. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They wouldn't care, but it would help to make them see that more naturally, or it would difficult to create the prejudice on them.

6. TheStormInside

I seriously doubt it will happen in the next five years, so I don't foresee Frozen 2 being about Elsa's quest for a Queen. It would be great if they kept her single, but the easiest plot would of course to be to find her a husband. I'd rather see something about her relationship with Anna developing, as she learns to control her powers and deal with her people (after living in a single room for years it can't be easy).

I think we will have some LGBT background characters before getting a lead character, if we ever get an LGBT lead at all. It's nice to see Laika has been thinking about this, though, with the gay football player in Paranorman, and same sex couples being featured in the Box Trolls trailer.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably still quite awhile. Not because of acceptance reasons, but because there are more straight people than gay and my uninformed expectation is that it won't survive on novelty alone.

But I could be wrong. Brokeback Mountain did alright and the guys' gay* relationship was vital to the story. If Disney did make an LGBT movie, I'd put utmost faith in them to make it incredible.

*Some people say it wasn't "really" gay and their one time was a "we were drunk" scenario, but it's close enough for public perception.

8. SeaSalt

I think that the key to a movie like this would be to not put emphasis on the LGBT relationship. the way that I see it is that a fair portion of the hate that we get is from the fear that we might be trying to take over. A movie with multiple relationships of equal importance where there is less emphasis on the relationships in general might be the ticket, something that even the most rational hater would struggle to call propaganda. On another note Andrew Garfield (the Amazing Spiderman) tried to get producers to say that his spiderman was Bisexual but the Geek community went up in arms. Personally I would have loved to see him with another guy...*Sigh