1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ever get overwhelmed by the realization that the world isn't a friendly place.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wuggums47, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Most of the time I can just look the other way, but every now and then I will hear someone talk about 'the gay agenda', the fact that only 5% of fortune 500 CFOs are female, or how some serial killer ate a bunch of people, and it just dawns upon me that the world really sucks, isn't fair, and is populated mostly by hostile people. And then everything just stops making sense. Then I realize for the most part there is nothing I can do to change it.

Does anyone else get overwhelmed by all the things wrong with the world sometimes?

2. SomeLeviathan

Re: Do you ever get overwhelmed by the realization that the world isn't a friendly pl

no I really don't get overwhelmed by it, but I realized the world is a scary place and people in general suck at a pretty early age. I've had a long time to come to terms with it both emotionally and philosophically.

3. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Re: Do you ever get overwhelmed by the realization that the world isn't a friendly pl

yes i do especially when i used to hear about the gay agenda and i have high standards for people so this just makes me very sad sometimes

4. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

Yes, because it's everywhere I turn. I'll just be reading the paper and all I'll see is terrible things...like someone just drowned their kid or something like that. Turn on the tv, and the FBI's Most Wanted is on and its just...so disgusting what people do or have done.
    And then don't get me started when I hear someone sneer at an openly gay person and call them a 'fag'. I hate it....

I think the only peace I would find is out in the wilderness with a fully loaded gun or in the Himalayas with some monks :x

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I've made my peace with the fact that the world is unkind and sometimes ruled by evil people. That's why I'm doing my best to learn to be sharp when it is necessary, yet keep the character to be soft and sweet when I can.

I guess it's sort of going into religious beliefs, but this existence might be a form of purgatory. On the grandest scale, it is temporary from what we can tell. Compared to eternity, the progress from Big Bang to heat death is fleeting. Everything in our lives is changing, testing us daily, and sometimes dealing out such pain that we feel we don't deserve it.

But I hold out hope that it is all for a reason, and just try to grow to be the best person I can be while finding happiness along the way. If there is no reward after death, at least I made life a little easier for some people before the end.

6. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yes.. I'm not afraid for myself, but for the ones that I love.

7. Candace

I am sometimes. I hate having to hide my true self and wondering when the day will come where I don't have to.

8. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The world is by nature an environment you have to learn how to survive in, but that doesn't mean there aren't some friendly people in it who will make your life worth living; all you have to do is find and surround yourself with them, to make your surroundings friendly; the rest of it doesn't matter because you can't change it, and despite the external hostility, you are obviously still here.

9. Higs

I had some early harsh years so yes, but I'm used to it now thanks to my pessimistic nature.. I need to work on that.

10. Tardis221B

I do sometimes, especially when I realize that in most of the US same gender marriage is illegal, but I try not to let it get to me.

What tends to get to me the most is the realization that Disney will likely not have a representation of same gender love for a long time, at least as a lead character. This is likely because some people probably wouldn't "want their children exposed to that," and therefore they would boycott Disney. :rolle: But I like to live in the belief that those people aren't the majority, (at least thats what I tell myself in order to stay sane. . .) And hey, maybe someday in the future I'll get to work for Disney Animation and get to write an LGBT friendly story.

I try not to dwell on the negatives too much, and instead focus on the positives :slight_smile:

11. Caillin

No I don't get overwhelmed by it, but it is a reminder for me to always keep my guard up.

12. One Man Army

Sometimes, yes I do. But I tend towards negative thought anyway.

It's easy to see the worst in human nature considering what's going on in Iraq and Gaza at the moment, and when you hear stories about the way people are treated by their families because of their orientation etc.

However, there are some great things happening too :slight_smile:

13. AlexTheGrey

Yeah, it can be easy to get sucked into the crap, but I find it kinda amazing what hasn't happened. As the human race, we've stared into the abyss so many times, and somehow decide not to fall in. I find that about as amazing at how crappy people still are to each other.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

No, not necessarily. Usually, when I did, or do, get overwhelmed, it's a reflection on me -- and the things connected to me; people, finances, resources, and so on and so forth.

I've always known that the world wasn't cookie cutter or fair, but that has a great deal to do with the fact, I used to be part of that hateful and problematic crowd. If I ever began to feel stressed or paranoid, all I had to do was deflect these states onto another, and thus, through them, would be able to relieve myself. Seeing another have it worse off, allowed me to forget about my own flaws and shortcomings, and resume doing what I had been -- spreading misery and chaos. Just anything, to not have to acknowledge the senselessness of the motives I had, or the feelings I felt.

If I was lonely, I would find someone who was isolated, rejected, and provide them with a sense of companionship, only to have them jump through hoops. I'd instill the notion, without me, they would have no one to discourage bullying or unfriendliness. This, would have them cling to me, even as I'd break them to pieces -- so many, they'd become distraught and never attempt to rebuild themselves lone. In this sense, I would always have someone around, but I didn't have to invest in caring about them.

If I was angry, I would find someone who was lost, frustrated, and provide them with a sense of understanding, only to have them, also, jump through hoops. By keeping them always frustrated, they rarely could think clearly, and were more susceptible to what I wanted them to do. Also, by encouraging their anger, it would appease my own, but I didn't often have to suffer any consequences as a result of it - they did in my place. I could have an angry individual lash out, and get to see what could happen, if I had decided to do such things. In this sense, I would always have someone disposable around, and I didn't have to invest in caring about them.

If I was conceited, I would find someone who was arrogant, full of themselves, and provide them with a sense of nurturing. It wasn't authentic, and was only enough to keep them so above-the-clouds, they would never look down and realize what I was doing. By stroking their egos, I would always have another barrier, because I'd feign ignorance or weakness, and ask them to 'show me what to do', which they would, and often with unfavorable-results-to-them. Meanwhile, I would already be moving on, because I, once again, did not have to invest in caring about them.

I could continue to list examples, but I believe the point has been made. I'd find someone's flaw, exaggerate them, and then exploit these for my own curiosity and agenda. Usually just 'to see what could happen to me, if I had done these things', a really selfish and senseless agenda, now that I realize what I was doing. The most difficult thing to accept was, by using others and throwing them to the lions, I was only furthering myself from the reality of my situation. I was not attempting to improve or fix it, instead only moving around solutions and under or over remedies. No, I was more concerned with moving people like pieces on a Chess board (probably why, even today, I like to play Chess; though it has become more about, just getting to know a person), and seeing the results -- clocking them into my head, so I'd know what worked and did not, for whatever nefariously vague goals I had in mind.

I cannot speak for everyone, but many of the individuals who make this world problematic, can change. Maybe not entirely, but their perception can be challenged, even redirected. I think, ironically, by undergoing this purge of needless fury and pointless direction, I've learned to, actually, be more optimistic and learned. While I know the world can be a terrible place at times, I have also learned that, because of such predicaments, it can inspire, and even move others, to become great as opposed to remaining acceptable. For without hardship, strength cannot formulate, and without hatred, love cannot soothe.

It is because of such things, that we, mankind, truly begin to realize what we are capable of.

15. indie

indie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I used too but not so much anymore, I know most of humanity is fucked up but there's also some very good people out there too.. :slight_smile: You just sometimes got to search real hard for the really cool people!! <3 <3

16. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It's partly the reason for my suicide attempts.

17. indie

indie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Trust me, suicide is never the answer

18. AlezinwondRland

I look at the world and am in awe. But i look at humanity themselves and what we have done to the world and its scary. We hide behind religion and tradition and prejudice and selfish beliefs that fit snugly around the lives we live for ourself. And wev forgotten amidst it all that we are humans with emotion and the ability to love and help each other. We are disconnected and lost. That's what's scary !

19. Moonhammer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

I look at the world, and almost everything i see is pure stupidity.
    When will people learn that life is too short to hate.

20. AlezinwondRland

True dat.