1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abortion

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Caelestis, Aug 9, 2014.

?

Should Abortion Be Allowed

1. Yes

45 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. Depends on the situation

11 vote(s)
    18.0%
  4. It's murder

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Caelestis

Do you think abortion should be allowed?

I do since it's not really our choice; it's the woman's body, not ours. But I also don't think it should be used as a form of birth control. I mean, if a woman is just not even giving a thought to birth control and doesn't want a child, then yeah, she shouldn't be able to use abortion as an out; but if a woman is raped, then no, she is most likely not going to want to keep the baby. And another thing is if the baby threatens the woman's life.

2. John2517

Anytime after the first trimester is a no for me. I find the "It's her body, her choice" argument invalid as not only is her body involved, but the fetus's body is as well. He can not speak for himself and is given no right as a living thing. Only in the case of the woman's life or both the woman and fetus's life are in risk would I personally allow an abortion. If I was put in the situation myself, I would ask her to please consider following through with a pregnancy. Even if she does not wish to raise a child, she can out it up for adoption.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What did banning alcohol do? Create a black market and strengthen organized crime.

What did banning drugs do? Create a black market, a border cartel war, and fill our prisons, disproportionately with people of color.

What did banning abortion do? Forced women to go into the back alleys for an unsafe, illegal abortion through the black market that rendered her sterile, or in worst-case, dead. We've been there before and that's why my fellow pro-choice Americans are fighting to prevent us from going back.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anytime before the end of the first trimester is a no brainer: yes, you have a right to an abortion.

After that: I think that it should only be allowed for: rape, incest, life/health of the mother, or fatal fetal defects. Only 2% of abortions happen after the first trimester, so I think that is reasonable.

5. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely think women should be allowed to choose if they want to keep their child or not. If they want to abort their baby, a lot of the time its because they aren't in a good position to raise a child, maybe because of their financial situation, their health or their relationships. Even though some may suggest putting the child up for adoption and suggest she stays pregnant for this reason, the woman may not want to be pregnant in the first place and I believe she has the full right to abort an unwanted pregnancy.

Sorry if this makes no sense, I'm like half asleep right now but yeah that's my opinion on abortion.

6. Caelestis

What I forgot to mention: adoption is HORRIBLE for a child's self-esteem. I have known several people who have grown up in the adoption system and cut themselves regularly because of it

7. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First off I would say that abortion is a personal decision. Any woman that has an abortion should first know that it is bad for the soul. I know of few woman that have had one that is not pained by their decision for sometime. But most woman at the sametime do not regret it. Especially after they have a family under the right conditions.

That aside its time to start looking at abortion as the moral choice. Whether we want to admit it or not the world is being overpopulated. Scientist have said that the worlds resources with today's technologies can support 7 billion people. We surpassed that several years ago and double our population every 35yrs. Overpopulation will result in many dieing gruesome deaths by starvation, disease, and war. Its also a severe threat to national security.

---------- Post added 9th Aug 2014 at 09:29 PM ----------

Are you confusing "adoption system" (no such thing), and the "foster system". Adopted children do just fine. You probably don't even know all of your adopted peers as they appear as the rest of your peers. Comments like that are the cause of discrimination of adopted kids. Your experience is circumstantial at best.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is already a thriving discussion here. Perhaps this thread can be closed?

9. BelleFromHell

It can depend on the situation, but mostly YES. An even bigger YES for early abortion. I don't think early abortion should be outlawed, no matter what the reason.

As for late-term, I tend to be in the middle. I don't know why someone would want to go through the pain of aborting a (almost) fully developed fetus, instead of just putting it up for adoption. I believe it's absolutely acceptable when the mother's life is in danger, or if the baby will be born with a horrible, life-altering condition. I know there are rape victims that are forced to wait for an abortion, but if we took all of the restrictions off of early abortion, that wouldn't be a problem. Of course, I've never had to experience that, so when a rape victim gets a late-term abortion, I refuse to place any judgement on them whatsoever.

My mother is "pro-life" (although a better word for that would be "anti-choice"), and I used to be the same way. After learning how to think for myself, I almost immidiately became pro-choice. I try to put myself in other people's shoes, and I know for a fact that if I was ever raped, I would certainly get an abortion. My uterus is MINE, not yours.

[​IMG]

10. KazTastic

Just my personal opinion, but if you don't own a uterus or ovaries, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO DICTATE WHAT SOMEONE DOES WITH THEIRS. Most people who have abortions don't just do it on a whim, It's a much more complicated and difficult choice than that, and the anti-choice zealots simplify it to demonise women who get abortions.

11. BelleFromHell

I missed out on a debate? Damn! I love bitching about stuff like this!

12. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I think abortion should be allowed.

13. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
  14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As I've argued previously, I think that a rape exception is ethically incoherent. If the concern about abortion is really over human life (which I don't believe, but I am willing to suppose for argument's sake), then rape could never be a justification to allow the fetus-bearer to have an abortion without legal sanction. However, the rape exception is generally made in an attempt (and I believe a very insincere one) to seem reasonable and garner public sympathy for the anti-abortion view. In its apparent reasonableness, though, it concedes that the primacy of human life is not really the controlling logic behind the opposition to abortion. The only ethically consistent opposition to abortion does not admit a rape exception. The only exception it can admit is when the pregnancy is complicated in such a way that it endangers the fetus-bearer's life. (And even at that, Ireland murdered an Indian woman because at the time, their legal system did not admit any exceptions to the abortion ban whatsoever.) Ironically, the ethically consistent version of the anti-abortion position is also the one most likely to be viewed--quite correctly--as psychopathic in the eyes of the general public.

I am additionally inclined to doubt the sincerity of those opposed to abortion because they have not thought through what criminal sanctions should be visited upon fetus-bearers for undergoing the procedure or physicians for providing it. When asked, many of them have astonishingly said no sanction should attach to this "crime" even though they still believe abortion should be made illegal. This lacks coherence. At the same time though, they know full well that if they do support criminal sanctions for fetus-bearers or physicians, whatever they say will be paraded around as evidence of their extreme callousness and wanton visitation of cruelty on those around them. And rightly so.

When we take the view that abortion is murder, we are committing to the position that the State needs to start invading the privacy of physicians and fetus-bearers and need to start kidnapping them and imprisoning them for this "crime." In the hope to avoid that, fetus-bearers will instead carry their pregnancies to term and endure the spectacular pain of labor and delivery that few even care to comprehend. To the degree that we're honest, we call this slavery and torture.

15. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am Pro-Life, and against abortion. Though, I do think there need to be exceptions for when a mother's life is in danger and rape.

I am not pro-life out of a religious conviction, but out of the simple belief that an unborn fetus has a right to live.

16. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I fully support a woman's right to make her own decisions about her own body.

While I would personally prefer easily available, reliable contraception to prevent unwanted pregnancies in the first place, which would largely remove the need for terminations, that's easy for me to say, I'm never going to find myself pregnant. A woman must always have the final say over her own body, not some elderly male politician or religious figure.

17. Dragana

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I support freedom to choose, I don't think anyone of us has right to analyze and generalize since it is something that effects life of an individual (who knows what is inside of someone's life and on which background this person makes the decision).
    I live in country where homosexuality is seen as deviance and all those people use similar arguments as I read in abortion discussions such as : "It is not natural it is your choice to live that sick life of yours. You are not trying to change yourself. You are not giving chance to life. You are selfish living deviant life, embarrassing all around you etc"
    Sticking nose in others people business , extremely dangerous territory. We see the world as we are, we are not able to be objective so have this fact in mind when you evaluate people.

18. Yosia

I dont believe there is a realistic argument againt it. The fetus cannot feel anything, and that last option makes me laught, if its murder then does that mean a miscarriage is manslaughter?

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

20. Hexagon

Again? Really? You didn't even wait a week since the last time such a thread was posted.