1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bullying--what do you do about it?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by C06122014, Aug 10, 2014.

1. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Ok so I am not being bullied nor am I a bully but not too long ago(yesterday) I was on lunch and I was on the phone in the hall way this was right before…I fell haha but so this guy along with a couple other girls and He is in my fifth hour was like, messing with this kid and I walked by but I shook my head and this kid is like a quiet kid in class but then here he was in the hall way picking on a freshman! And so I kept walking but I could hear the kid and he was like hurting him so I turned around and walked right towards him and was like "what are you doing?!?! Leave him alone" an the girls and him just laughed and were like oh we've got another little freshman? And it took like all of my strength to not punch him in the face but I was like what? And he laughed and I had just walked a group of friends to their classes around the corner and they heard me yelling so they came to me and were like what's wrong Jose and I was like this guy is messing with him!!! So We all started to just like gather and he saw that they were out numbered so they walked away and were like mumbling stuff and the kid thanked me and we parted but I want to know what you would have done if you saw this going on?

Would you stand by and watch, walk by and ignore it, or act on it and protect the person being bullied?

#1 C06122014, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
  2. seeking more

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    dude, truth is u got guts...id be scared....

3. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Wow I mean I couldn't watch him do it I mean when I walked by I was just like nope I can't just leave him! But I would do it again in a heartbeat because I might have made his day? Sometimes it's that one person who does something, who stands up because they cant take on everyone at the same time?

4. seeking more

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    actually, u probably did make his day..just by letting him know that someone cares, you know? maybe before u did anything, he had no strength. now that u stood up for him, he can raise his head a little higher cuz he isn't alone

5. Yosia

If i ever get involved i just usually provide emotional support after, but once i saw an old best friend from primary school getting bullied and i told them all to go away and i hit one of them.

6. BornAnew

Wow your so brave C06122014, well done!!!! :slight_smile:

I think I would provide emotional support later on...I'd be too scared to get involved on the spot.

7. SeaSalt

Hats of to Bravery. My bullies stopped after my growth spurt, apparently there is something off putting about a 17 stone 6:3 Rob who has had just about enough of your BS. If they come back at you tell me and Ill cross the pond and give them what for!

8. Hexagon

Whatever is necessary. I won't stand for it. If it's the best thing to do, I'll interfere both verbally and physically.

9. indie

indie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I once punched a bully in their balls, I get involved if I feel the situation calls for it. Oh, yay for you

10. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Thanks but I mean a lot of people just walked by which is kinda sad because our school is very strong in this section: bullying, because we have mentally challenged students and we all adore those guys :slight_smile: they get a special homecoming(it's on the same day as ours with us) but all of them are elected homecoming queen and king at some time in their four years :slight_smile:

Some people see them and laugh but luckily we all support these great guys so we stand up for them! Using the -R-WORD- at my school is strictly forbidden any one who does that is reported to the school administrators where they are punished with detention, for a week or so.

That's why I was shocked that like six people walked by? But I encourage you guys to stand up for one another because you might make their day a little brighter and trust me when I say that it makes you feel better :slight_smile:

11. Emulator

:thumbsup: for your bravery.
    In theory, I would do what the situation calls for - if I was capable of it. There is no reason to be a bystander if it can be helped.

12. markosss

Wow! You are so brave! :eusa_clap

13. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tell them to piss off, one way or the other. Got punched in the face pretty hard by a crack head, long and ptsd inducing fist fight after that. At least I can take some punches.

To the original poster: Nice job. You are brave and I admire you.

14. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was bullied a lot in elementary school and middle school. The bullying stopped in elementary school when I saw this girl I knew getting bullied by this kid who had bullied me physically (pushed me down the stairs once and slammed a textbook into my back in 3rd grade) and I finally stood up to him and told him that he can't hurt me anymore and that I won't let him hurt her (she was very tiny...I still can't believe he hit her) and cussed him out. He left me and her alone for the rest of elementary school.

Middle school was a bad experience...let's zoom forward to high school.

Bullying was an issue at my high school for most people, but anytime someone discriminated against someone based on race or religion, or because they have special needs....I would flip the hell out. Especially if someone was bullying a special needs kid...that always ticked me off.

My junior year, I started defending LGBT people too from homophobes, but my high school was extremely pro-gay, so almost never an issue.

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats for taking a stand. Your parents must have raised you right :slight_smile: It is really sad how many people will just "decide not to get involved."

Have you considered reporting the kids who did this so that the administration can deal with them? If you don't, you can be guaranteed the bullies will just come back.

Alternatively, telling the kid who was being bullied to let you or one of your friends know if it happens again so the both of you can report it would be a good plan.

For the children being bullied, a very large percentage of them will NOT report bullying to their parents, because they (wrongly) believe they deserve it somehow and are ashamed. This just leads to more shame and is one of the biggest predictors of suicide and other destructive behaviors. But simply feeling they have one person in their corner can help to make the difference for them.

And if the school is eniightened, talking to the bullies and teaching empathy and compassion has actually been shown to be an effective means of dealing with bullying... much more so than shaming and punishment. But not a lot of schools are doing that, at least on an institutional basis, yet.

16. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Well I don't know the kid who was beig bullied he is a freshman an I had never seen him, bu the other guy is in my fifth hour and I will leave it clear that we will not let him bully him :slight_smile: I hae people who will back me up because it's not cool but when I find the other guy I will deffintly tell him to tells if it happens again or to tell one of my friends and we will go with him to report it. I know for a FACT that the school officials will deal with him, this behavior is not tolerated and any sort of physical abuse is reported to the authorities and is put on permanent school records so that if something else ever happens they can look and see "oh this kid messed with everyone" or "oh after he was reported he was never accused of anything" that's why there are signs all over my school that say "Report it" those signs encourage students to report bullying and it is our high school districts student handbook that harrasment of any kind is punishable with nine days of suspension or up to perminanet expulsion :slight_smile: this kind of stops people or makes them think about bullying twice :slight_smile:

17. Formality

We never really had much bullying going on in my highschool cus it was seriously underpopulated. Still, I try to lecture those in my surrounding whom I feel like have the wrong idea about bullying and the likes. Whenever I see someone getting harrassed or bullied I almost always step in. I've not always had the guts to stand up for others since I never really had the confidence. But as I've come out to myself I've grown a lot as a person. There's a really good qoute by Rosa Parks that I think fits this topic.

"You must never be fearful about what you are doing when it is right."

18. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There was a time I had a pimp start to chase his girl around my store and I had to summon up the nerve. Figured I might get shot if it went south. I slammed my fist down on the counter and pointed and said "You've gotta get the !@#$ out of here right now. Do anything other than leave and it's 911." Thought I was going to pass out from the adrenaline wash. I hate hate hate making myself be brave, make eye contact with people at times like that, it is the hardest thing ever.

So anybody out there that manages to grit their teeth together and stand up for what they think is right or stop what they think is wrong... I salute you! :thumbsup:

19. TwinNumber2

TwinNumber2 Guest

Well done! I wouldn't have had the guts to have done what you did. I used to get picked on a bit when I was younger for being nerdy/weedy. I'm ashamed to say that I took my frustrations out on others I knew and became a bully myself. Not physically but emotionally. I grew up and stopped. I've since began to apologise to all those I hurt and I am planning on volunteering in am planning on volunteering in an emotional support hotline for students to attempt to make up for what I did. I speak to all my bullying victims now and I think they've all forgiven me but I'm still going to give them all a proper apology at some point just so they know how bad I feel.

I wish we had someone like you when I was at school. If a friend or pupil had told me to look at myself and ask me why I was doing what I did, I would have probably stopped and learned my lesson.

Nowadays, if I saw someone getting bullied I'd hope I would stand up for them.

You sound like a great guy though and you should be totally proud of yourself for what you did. Not many would do what you did. Least of all to a crowd of bullies

#19 TwinNumber2, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
  20. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bullying is one of the few things that I absolutely will not tolerate. If I see it happening, I'll try and stop it - even if it leads to a physical confrontation (which it has done). Nothing I hate more than seeing a bunch of cowards ganging up on someone. Power in numbers and all that.