1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do or Did You Ever Play Musical Instruments?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tai, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been playing the piano since I was 6, so 10 years now. It gets hard with school and sports to be able to keep it up at a quality pace but I'm going to try and make more effort to stay with it. I also played the glockenspiel (sorry if I spelled that wrong) - which is shaped kind of like a xylophone but the pieces are metal and the sticks you hit them with are different - in 5th grade for band, but that only lasted a year.

Do you play an instrument? Used to play one? If so, why did you stop? And if you don't play one, what one would you be interested in learning?

2. Candace

I used to play trombone in middle school! I realized that it wasn't my passion and quit after only 3 years.

3. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm playing Bass.

4. vendettaxo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I played flute for a year then switched to clarinet which I played for five years. Don't play any more since I don't have my own instrument but it is something I would like to start doing again. Would also like to fiddle with sax more

5. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

I've been playing the harp for a year now.

6. Acm

Acm Guest

I played piano from 2nd grade to 9th grade but I had to stop because I got so much homework that I didn't have time to practice anymore. Now I play harmonica and guitar but I don't take lessons, I just sort of teach myself from a book. I would like to learn how to play bass guitar too.

7. Clarinet, Saxophone, Violin, and Drums :slight_smile:

I stopped because I'm not in band anymore.

8. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

I play piano and I'm re-learning how to play the flute.

9. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've played piano growing up and stopped once I started college. I also played the tenor sax in high school for band and music class.

I have been thinking of taking up piano again or even try learning guitar for fun.

10. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    I play loads of instruments, its a passion for me. I play the drums in a band and orchestra, used to play trumpet, and at home I play the piano, flute, mandolin, guitar or bongos just to relax. Playing music is probably one of my most favourite things to do in my life.

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a proud drummer :slight_smile:

12. otter

I started playing piano when I was 6 and I tried playing guitar in middle school, but I was really bad at it since my hands are so small. :frowning2: I've been trying to play piano more recently.

13. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I play the piano and the tenor saxophone and I could never imagine stopping. I'm really passionate about music

14. Kabuki

I played the small flute, not the pretty flute that is placed horizontally. I played it because of school, so after I stopped taking music class, I also stopped playing the flute. If you consider the voice as an instrument, then I also sing, never took classes though.

The instruments I wish to play are the piano and violin or viola. I have a keyboard but I never practiced playing it. Maybe when I finish college I might get the chance to commit more time to it.

15. Rosie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can play some songs on the tin whistle, but that's about it. Love to sing, though.

16. WallWeed

Well, I'm a music major in uni, so yeah, I'm a bit passionate about my instruments, haha.

Guitar was my first love; I picked it up at age eleven, and taught myself both acoustic and electric (though I favored my acoustic due to my love for fingerstyle). I started teaching myself piano at age 14, which eventually became my Principal Instrument in college (didn't take lessons until my first semester, though). My junior year of college (age 18), I started learning clarinet and percussion (orchestral) as my Secondary Applied Instruments, and now I play them in Symphonic Band and other ensembles... I also casually play the Irish whistle (pennywhistle), and will be picking up bass clarinet this semester.

If I could learn anything though, it'd be the cello no doubt.

17. littlemonster11

I can play the saxophone and a little bit of the ukulele. I don't play the sax as much as I did in high school (because I was in the marching band). I play the ukulele mostly now.

Lately, I've really been wanting to learn the bass.

18. SeaSalt

I used to play Bass. Sort of lost interest after I stopped trying to fit in.

19. MatthewJS

i once played the saxophone in 7th and 8th grade, but i had to stop because of my fingers were hurting. now, i have a violin i am learning to play!

20. I play Guitar and used to play Saxophone back in high school.

I used to play a sax back when the music teacher in my school wanted me to. I ended up learning quite a lot of things because I played it from middle school to high school. However, I was also interested in Guitar at the time because of all the classic rock and metal albums my parents had collected over the years.

Over time, I just started playing guitar a lot more and became less interested in the sax near the end of high school. The sax was a rental and I bought a guitar instead of investing in a new sax. I didn't know what I was thinking at the time, but it was a gut feeling.

Nowadays, All I ever do is play guitar. It's been ten years since my first guitar. I've been trying to learn how to play Steve Vai tunes. They're difficult songs, but it's been a fun learning experience despite that. I'll probably get back into playing the saxophone as soon as I can afford it some day.