1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

strange men asking women to smile?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dreamcatcher, Aug 10, 2014.

1. dreamcatcher

So, oftentimes, when I am at work or walking down the street, and I happen to be lost in thought, some very random men that I have never seen before come up to me and tell me to smile. This has happened to me way too many times for it to be a strange coincidence. Why do some guys do this? Is it a weird way of flirting that I don’t know about? Are they just being friendly? I’ve only seen guys do this to girls though. I have never seen a man do it to another man or a woman do it to another woman. I find it kinda annoying because, you know, it’s not like anyone can smile all the time and why should I smile all the time anyway?

Or I just thought about this, but is this maybe an american thing? Do people do this in other cultures?

2. Pax

Pax

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've experienced that too, over here in the UK.

It always really annoys me!

I have no idea why they do it...

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It's ignorant of the various and complex reasons, behind why someone may not be smiling, but I believe, most of the time, it isn't meant to be a bad thing. Most folks, agree, that when someone is smiling, they look their best. I assume, they want you to smile, because they're just trying to let you know, in a roundabout way, how appealing you are.

4. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I've never observed or heard of such a thing being a trend, but it sounds both harmless and creepy.

5. CBA

CBA Guest

Sometimes people come up to me just asking "what's wrong?", I don't smile a lot though!! Mainly girls ask me that though, some guys have asked though. It could be flirting for some but some people may even be concerned

6. I'm absolutely certain that in most cases it isn't meant to be a bad thing at all. And it's probably intended as a compliment. However, intentions do not take away the fact that this is an uncomfortable situation at best and a downright creepy and awful one at worst.

The problem with the idea that it's a some sort of compliment the men go around telling women to smile (and women only, not other men) is that women don't exist to look nice for the men around them. I don't care if she's got the most beautiful smile in the whole entire world, she doesn't owe any strange dude on the street or on a train or wherever a smile just because he thinks she should look happy.

Fuck dudes who feel that entitled to any woman's body and time that it seems like a good idea to walk up to a girl they think is pretty and tell her how she should have her face because he likes it better that way.

7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it might come from the idea that women are supposed to be the more "social" of the two sexes, always laughing, smiling, making small talk, etc. It could be flirting, it could be being friendly, but since it's only men telling women, I assume it has it's roots in sexist double standards...

8. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

No it's not flirting I do it all the time with pure intentions but to strangers when they look down or confused I will just stop, unplug my EarPods and ask them to smile, I smile myself and then I say "stay like that for the rest of the day, you have a great smile"

Most girls ask if Im flirting and I, as of recently say I don't lean that way and then I walk away and never see them again :slight_smile: so yea I mean I like to make people smile and if to do that I literally have to say "smile" then I don't think their is anything wrong with it :slight_smile:

9. Candace

That's weird, but that happened to me about a week ago. I think it's creepy and rude since it's like "um, who are you and you don't know what I'm going through. Mind your own business, bub" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

10. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

They're just being nice and friendly.

11. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i always found it rude like hey fucker maybe my mom got hospitalized today, i dont care if it is more attractive or convinient for your visage but i am in a bad mood so deal with it and go to chillis or hooters if yiu want a fake ass snile

12. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Except it isn't. I've been told to smile on more than one occasion because my 'neutral face' looks a little annoyed. People assume that if you're not smiling all the time, then there must be something wrong with you.

If anyone ever tells you to smile or cheer up, tell them that your dog died. That usually shuts them up.

13. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Wow -.- so now I know how some of those people feel .-.

14. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

like maybe my cat died, or am stressed about bills or my job or maybe i am just having a crampy bad day or am just trying to buybsome damn groceriea, get fucked if you think you're entitled to good looks i am a fucking person

15. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had it happen a few times - once yelled from a car, which startled me; and once from an old guy who then sat down next to me, told me he could help new teachers double their salary, mentioned that teachers "often have problems with intimate relationships", and insisted I take down his email address.

So yeah, not the best associations there.

16. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is a huge part of why I became emotionally repressed in the first place. People constantly were saying "why don't you look happy you should be smiling?" At around first and second grade.

Thanks for making people worry about whether they "look" the right way for other people.

17. LifeAsWeKnowIt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One day I was super sad in town and this man came up to me and told me to smile because things will get better and then he high fived me. It did cheer me up! However, I can see how it could be creepy in certain circumstances.....

18. Caillin

It doesn't happen to me but id be annoyed. My face rests this way im not going to go out of my way to smile the whole time im at the store, on a run, or just anytime im in public because it looks better for you visually.

19. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

When I was in high school, I was walking to one of my classes and one of my teachers noticed me and he called out "Smile, my name". Now I wasn't unhappy in any way, at that moment I had nothing to smile about. I thought it was weird.

20. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This has happen to me a lot with men I don't know asking me to smile , I always get upset and feel like punching them when they say that to me .