1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hold up. Am I missing something about being in the closet?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Reptillian, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Reptillian

Here are two scenarios.

Scenario A - There is an asexual man next to you at work, but no one knows. You ask him about his sexuality and he responds on the line of "None of your business/concerns". He's happy with no one knowing.

Scenario B - There is a lesbian next to you, but no one knows. Unlike the man in scenario A, she's unhappy that no one knows.

My question is what constitutes being in the closet? Is Person A (Scenario A) is in the closet?

I asked this because I know there are people who says being in the closet feels like Scenario B, but I'm also aware that there are people out there who don't give a damn about being out at all.

Am I missing anything?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think they both are. The "closet" is just a metaphor for keeping secret, whether or not it's a favorable mindset.

That's sort of where I am now actually. Outside of EC, I am in the closet (to most) and that's pretty much okay. Being in a satisfying straight relationship, I don't feel the need to stir the pot by telling people I also like guys. I'm not doing as much as I could for bisexual recognition, but I hold no one accountable as an involuntary ambassador for whatever letter they are. If the time comes to tell people, I'll take it.

So yeah. TL;DR, you don't need to be depressed about it to consider yourself closeted.

3. thisisallnew

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think so. I think each person gets to decide what it means to be "out" or "in the closet" it's such a personal thing that shouldn't be dictated by any generalized or operationalized definition. you know?

4. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same response. Both senerios are ''in the closet'' and it's totally up to you when you come out and to how many people you tell. In or out it is ok. Your sexuality is your business. When society stops being so judgemental, maybe then more people will come out. But yeah, both senerios work.

5. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Those before me have summed it up. The "closet" is just a metaphor for keeping a secret, and whether one has a favorable or unfavorable mindset about keeping said secret depends on the person.

6. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

They would both be in the closet in some ways. I personally haven't told many people I'm genderqueer, because not many people would have any clue what that means. An asexual would be in the same kind of situation, if they told people they were asexual, it would probably conjure up images of mitosis.

7. Candace

I think that they would be both in the closet, regardless of how they felt internally. In both scenarios, despite their orientation and how they'd feel if everyone knew about their sexuality, they're still keeping it a secret, thus "still in the closet".

8. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Being in the closet is not a bad thing, as long as that is what you want. I for instance, don't want to be in the closet. I want to be able to express my sexuality openly. Some don't, therefore, being in or out of the closet is irrelevant as they just want to be left alone about that subject...

Yes?