1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are dreams like for you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tai, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Most of the people who I talk to offline say that when they dream, it's like real life for them, and it's very vivid. When they dream, it's like watching a movie. I just can't understand them. For me, my dreams are less like having eyesight and seeing movement with your eyes and recording it in their memories like them; instead, mine are like I have it recorded in my memory when I wake up but I never actually saw it or have mental "screenshots" to refer back to, the visuals are not there but the memory of what happened was.

I had a lucid dream once when I was very young. In my dream, I was at a baseball field and I said, "I'm dreaming." That's the closest I've ever been to lucid dreaming. I'm really interested in it and would think it really fun to lucid dream, you could literally do anything. I think it would be rather addicting. You could play in your own world. Most of my dreams provide flight for me, but I still can't control anything or am aware I'm dreaming.

So, what are dreams like for you? Do you actually use your 5 senses in the dream? Or do you just have memories of it happening, like me? Do you lucid dream?

2. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have had many lucid dreams. When they are full-sleep dreams then I can remember them like they were awake, and they often fool me into thinking I am awake when I am not. Once I had been dreaming for, subjectively, a good hour or two when things just felt wrong. I convinced myself, believed, that I was dreaming and then launched into the sky on my own willpower.

Once I closed my eyes, opened them, saw everything around me was way weird, said out loud, "I'm not supposed to be sleeping." Closed my eyes, opened them awake and fully aware.

...Or am I still dreaming? That would be awesome, that dream happened about 18 years ago.

3. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am so jealous! I want to lucid dream like that! I realize it could get kind of confusing because the line between reality and dreaming is blurred... But it seems like it would be so much fun!

4. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is, because when I am half-asleep I have to do a mental pat-down to remember both what my body feels like and to know that I am actually lying there still half-awake while my mind almost convinces me I am up and getting ready for the day.

5. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dreams usually feel too real for comfort. I also feel like it's actually happening. I don't remember most of them though...it's like I get blanked when I wake up.

There are some I will never forget, though. I won't share since they are depressing, weird and kinda pointless.

But, my dreams revolve around fear and survival instincts a lot. It confuses me sooo much haha. I also have a lot of dreams where I feel like i'm falling and can't save myself.

As a Kid, I had a lot of dreams where I'd get eaten by cartoon characters or monsters. Though, until I was 13 or so...I had a good amount of happy dreams too.

I haven't had a really happy dream in a few years, but I wouldn't classify a lot of these dreams that I now have as nightmares.

I've also had very few sexual dreams, though...like maybe 10 my whole life. Some were gay sexual dreams, some were straight.

6. Hexagon

The majority of my dreams are vague and mundane. Kind of stories that might fit into everyday life, just fictional. Occasionally I have dreams that are more memorable, most notably one involving a nuclear apocalypse, and another where I had to assassinate a dictator. I've never had a sex dream.

7. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had one where somebody tried to assassinate me, narrowly failed and as he was taken away for interrogation I said "Hire him." His moxie and utter recklessness had impressed. I was in the dream passing out from injuries and blood loss.

8. Minnie

What an awesome thread :grin:

I have many recurrent themes: losing my teeth and trains are the most popular now. I used to dream about plane crashes a lot too. I have the weirdest dreams, and I when doing some things I know they're not what I really want to do. A lot of the time people are against me in dreams - not particularly seriously though.

9. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine are usually really vivid, its pretty weird. Sometimes I even confuse them with real life and end up thinking that something that I dreamt about actually happened, even though it didn't. This is happening more and more as I grow older. A lot of the time, though, I can tell that they were only dreams because of the people in them or where they took place. Even though I do see a lot of people that I know in my dreams, I also see a lot people I've never seen or met before. Some of these people have appeared in my dreams a lot and I've gotten to know them pretty well and the dream version of me is pretty close to them (its so weird though because they don't actually exist). My dreams are often set in places I have never been to or seen in real life. I also find myself in places that are modified, cooler versions of places that I've been in in real life. My house in my dreams is modified version of the house I actually live in, but is so much cooler and I really wish it was like that in real life. The high school I go to in my dreams is waaay different from the one I actually go to, but I still have vivid memories of it and I often find myself there in many of my dreams. The weirdest part is that I often dream about these places again and again, even up to months after I first dreamt about them. I do use my senses in my dreams and feel the emotions I would've felt if whatever event I'd dreamt about happened in real life. Its all so vivid, it sometimes freaks me out. I don't really get nightmares, but when I do, They're absolutely horrible and terrifying. Overall, I enjoy dreaming because they can be pretty entertaining.

I don't really think I'd consider it lucid dreaming though, since I often have a limited amount of control over my dreams.

10. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm... That's strange that it would be so vivid, but then you get blanked when you wake up. I always thought I rarely remembered my dreams because mine seemed to always be hazier than everyone else's.

---------- Post added 12th Aug 2014 at 05:59 PM ----------

Trains? That's one I've never heard before. Maybe you're subconsciously afraid of trains?

11. Acm

Acm Guest

My dreams are often really vivid and surreal, but sometimes they're about real life stuff. I have a lot of stress dreams (usually about school). Most of them are really weird but cool

12. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's still pretty cool that it seems real, though. Obviously since I can't lucid dream, the dream feels somewhat real, but when I wake up I can tell it was definitely not. With all these people having clear dreams like you, when you wake up it seems like you wouldn't be able to tell if you're still in the dream or not.

13. Candace

I have very sporadic dreams, where I'm in one place doing one thing and somewhere else doing another thing, with very little correlation in between. These dreams usually have people that I know (upon waking up and realizing that) or famous celebrities that I admire, like Celion Dion, Carrie Underwood, or Antonio Banderas.

14. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i used to keep a note under my pillow and write down everytime i wake up what i dreamed about them whenever i read what i wrote i remember everything thats if you really want to remember your dreams i stopped doing this i got bored with all those stupid dreams but every dream i wrote i still until today havent forgotten about it at all and not because i read the notes i throw them away anyway some dreams were so pervy and some were about me killing people i hate and stuff that if someone read will think im crazy

15. PICollins91

My dreams often feel like reality. quite vivid and often bizarre although some are mundane others get violent and insane and sometimes tapping into movies. I think the most recent bizarre movie dream was after I re-watched the original Italian Job last month some nights later I dreamed I was tearing through the local mall in an old Mini Cooper being chased by the gang members from Death Wish 3 who were riding in souped-up golf carts.

16. otter

My dreams are usually very vague and muddy, if I remember them at all. About once a month I'll have a very realistic dream that I remember very well. Every time I become lucid in my dreams I wake up because I get so excited. Hopefully I'll be able to lucid dream someday because I really want to.

17. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always dream in the third person, because that's how I think. I never realize I'm dreaming, and if I do, I wake up. Not that I would want to lucid dream anyway because I believe dreams are the only way to communicate with the subconscious and I'm always looking for clues here and there. During the summer, I always dream of school or amusement parks, for whatever reason. I like my dreams. They're almost never bad. I do stuff I can't do in real life like jumping off a mountain, save people's lives ect. It's fun, even if sometimes the things that happen in my dreams would be considered bad, I enjoy it!

18. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd been discouraged, thinking I was the only one with this dull form of dreaming. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Hopefully we can lucid dream someday. It'd sure be great.

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I mentioned this before.

To copy and paste, from that thread:

At best, my dreams, they tend to be, either action oriented, reflective, or so off the wall, I'm entertained. At worst, they tend to be, either survival oriented, humbling, or so off the wall, I'm alerted.

If I meditate before going to sleep, I experience a more profound dreaming. I'm not Freddy Krueger, LOL, but I have more of an influence than usual, and I don't feel like I'm trapped in the routine.

I can't totally change the dream, but... actually, I'll give you an example.

In one of my nightmares, I was in the middle of 4 individuals. These 4 individuals, all had knives, and were standing in a square around me. These 4 individuals would, one or two at a time, throw their knives at me.

I could either stand there, and get cut, or move... but moving made the other 2 individuals, throw their knives. This would repeat over and over, becoming faster and faster, until it was becoming practically impossible to avoid being hurt. Usually, when I have a nightmare, I struggle a bit, and I have no choice but to go through with what happens. But this time, I could, after a while, remove the knives embedded into my limbs, and throw them back at these 4 individuals.

Despite it being an overall terrible nightmare, I could not deny how cool it was, to actually be in control, even for a little bit, over what I dreamed.

Some memorable dreams I have had:

Dream/Nightmare #1:
    I was in the ocean. No land visible in any direction. The sea was calm-looking in appearance, very dark-colored in visibility. I was floating on a slightly-larger-than-usual couch, that was, for some reason, flipped upside down, and PINK - yes, PINK! Naturally, I couldn't even lay comfortably on the couch, and instead had to sit on the hard-ass backside.

Nothing remarkable happened for a bit. Then, a shark showed up, and kept trying to belly flop onto the couch. At first it was kind of annoying, but it became apparent, this shark was trying to knock me off, because it started lunging at where I was. I'd move about, and avoid the shark, but the attacks just kept happening. Each time the shark would lunge, I'd see more and more of, and it was fairly large.

I woke up before the conclusion of the dream, but I remember it. It was so simplistic, yet so horrible.

--------------------------​

Dream/Nightmare #1
    I'm standing in waist deep water. It's cold, but calm. The sun has not set, but it's not quite high noon. I'd say that it's 80% visible, above the water. But the water, it's dark and concealing.

Then, there's this slicing hiss behind me, which causes me to turn around. I can't see what is causing it, but the water is a foaming V as it comes right at me. Realizing, I need to get out of there, I start swimming away from it. I know, in the back of my mind, there is no land to swim to, but I don't care. I've got to get away!

I swim and swim and swim and swi---

One piercing pinch on my leg, then a violent pulling to the depths. No matter how much I kick and punch, shout and scream, all I can do is watch as water flushes across my eyes, and fills my nostrils and mouth. In flashing glimpses of red-stained water and bubbling air pockets, all I see is this large mouth. Realizing, it is DO or DIE, I cling to, what I assume, is this large mouth's head, refusing to be pulled in.

Adrenaline-pumped and life-clinging as I am, I ultimately fail, and into the beast's mouth I go. Now, it's bad enough being stuck inside this thing's mouth, but what makes it worse is, I can't get back out due to the teeth, and moving jaws. I'm being tossed and thrown around, inside the mouth and throat, becoming disoriented and just surging with panic. As I'm being semi-crushed to death, I'm struggling to breathe, because my lungs need oxygen. My heart is racing, and this just makes it feel like, my chest is going to explode. I can try to swim out of the mouth, and get torn to shreds, have my lungs just fail, or begin to be digested in my last few fleeting moments of life. As all of this is happening, I know that with each passing second, it is more apparent I am going to be killed. I just don't know when or how...

I tend to wake up before I 'die'. I can recall having this dream, or slight variations of it, a few times in my life. This is why it's always so vivid to me.

Dream/Nightmare #3:
    After those last two, I wanted to bring up a more amusing dream. It begins with me in a British Spitfire, flying across the English Channel, I assume. I have a little squadron with me, and the cast consists of:

Jack Nicholson
    John Wayne
    Wayne Brady

Basically, we fly around, crack jokes, and shoot Nazis down in, what I assume, is the Battle of/for Britain, during World War II. It was one of the goofiest, but most awesome dreams I've ever had.

Dream/Nightmare #4:
    This one begins in a zombie apocalypse. The city it takes place in, is overrun, and I find myself inside of an apartment complex. The complex has been barricaded, and the survivors each have their own rooms, while some are used to stockpile weapons and supplies, as well as serve as kind of make-shift kitchens or sick bays.

You'd think, after that set up, it'd be some guns-blazing, ass-kicking zombies kind of dream, but no. It's actually a pretty profound dream. I don't remember every sequence of events, but some of the highlights include:

Having a talk with someone about the point of living, while watching some zombies, stupidly, keep running into a wall.

Walking around and finding a litter of kittens, and worrying about their safety.

Having someone admit, they wanted to kill themselves, because even if we all survived, it wouldn't be the same world anymore. This person winds up shooting themselves, which leads into the next highlight...

This suicide begins to tear the survivors apart. It triggers an explosion of feelings, mostly of frustration and futility, which leads to everybody succumbing to anger. After a lot of yelling and even some fist-swinging, the survivors begin to kill each other, having finally snapped and lost touch with reality.

I vanished from the dream at this point, because I cannot remember being involved. Here, people begin getting shot, pummeled, and even stabbed. But not everybody is knocked off, because I woke up before the end of it.

It was this dream, as well as another one, that inspired a novel/book idea of mine.

Dream/Nightmare #5:
    It begins with me, and some people I knew from high school, all on a game show panel. The set up looked a lot like Wheel of Fortune. There were 6 of us, though. I can only really recall 3 of the 6, which will make sense in a moment.

The game begins well enough, with us each spinning, then having to answer a question. It's kind of a silly-boring dream, really. However, it gradually becomes more serious, as with each new round, the questions become more piercing and personal. Almost hurtful, even. Despite this change in mood, it still seems like a game show, even if the questions are getting to be a bit much.

But then, when people become so broken, such a mess, that they cannot formulate a response... they're killed. One young lady's head is blown clean off, courtesy of a shotgun blast to the back of it. Another young lady's arms are pinned to the spin-wheel, and are ripped off. She's then put out of her misery, unable to defend herself as she has no upper limbs, by being beaten to death by said upper limbs. For some reason, nobody else can move to do anything. One fellow is split clean in half, by a falling blade, and his two halves thrown into the audience, who 'crowd surf' it around, picking and tearing pieces of him off, and eating them.

I woke up a little after this.

I've had semi-lucid dreams, but I'll save those for another post. For now, what I've got, should suffice.

20. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, your dreams make so much sense. Mine make absolutely no sense, such as Ursula chasing me through a rye field with a garden hose, to me flying around my imaginary 5-story-house for a place to hide, to my team and I fighting a bunch of campers due to their inappropriate behaviors and dressing style with Harry Potter wands and spells.

Do you have all of your senses in your dreams? Are you experiencing it like real life, a movie, or like me, who doesn't have any senses to remember the dream with?