1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is it so hard to find other LGBTQs in real life? :/

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ThePrideInside4, Aug 12, 2014.

?

How many other LGBTQs do you know in real life?

Poll closed Aug 19, 2014.
  1. None.

15.6%
  2. A few.

41.7%
  3. Less than 10.

25.0%
  4. More than 10.

19.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ThePrideInside4

:help:So, I really want to find a girlfriend. But there's only 1 other LGBTQ female at my school, and she's my best friend. But she knows a lot of LGBTQ high-schoolers. And I also have a bisexual friend who is male that knows a lot of LGBTQs. I only know those 2... (in real life). I know A LOT of LGBTQs here and on Miiverse, YouTube, and Twitter, but I really want to find more of us. I want to know that there are more people like me. I want to see them, to be friends with them, to listen to their coming-out stories and to tell them everything. I wish I could... :/

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah it really is I never got why because their are some women that are out and it seems like I'm surrounded by straight women .

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

It's definitely a hard thing to deal with growing up LGBTQ when you don't have any role models or even just people like you around on a regular basis. It's not something that'll last forever though, believe me. Assuming you're in high school/middle school, it might not be that no one LGBT's around but that basically, either most of your LGBT peers haven't realized it yet or they're still closeted.

That'll probably change as you all get older. For now, you'll have to do some hunting. Does your school have a GSA? Do you have LGBT youth groups in the area? Start there.

4. prussianblue100

Wow. You basically took my thoughts and wrote them down in this post. Except I have no LGBTQ friends in real life. You're really lucky to have the ones you've got. Anyway, I totally agree. I'm completely surrounded by straight people, and I feel alone a lot of the time. It really sucks, especially when I have this growing urge to kiss a girl.

5. Abi

Abi Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I used to know some when I was in high school but never really stayed in touch with them

6. the haunted

I actually know quite a few LGBTs in real life. More than 10. Not exactly on a super personal level, but I do know them. Most of them come from the place where I work. I'm not sure why, but so many queer people work there. It's really lovely. One of the reasons I stay, actually. I feel like being there increases my chance of finding a girlfriend lol.

However, I do not have a lesbian entourage. Still working on that one.

7. Candace

I find it hard since I have to keep it a secret. I can't tell anyone that the people hanging out with me are a part of the LGBT community. Add to the fact that no one deliberately tells you that they're part of that community, therefore you can't find them easily.

8. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Less than 10. There are a lot of bisexual people at my school, including me. One of them's my friend. But I'm not out to him and I don't know if I have the courage to do so, so it's not like it helps. Even though there are a lot of bis here, there are no gays or transgendered people (that are out, anyways). There's one lesbian.

9. ThePrideInside4

What's GSA? And no, everybody in the area are pain-in-the-ass homophobics. There are no LGBT support groups here. :frowning2: I do watch YouTubers like GayGod, BriaAndChrissy, and Tyler Oakley- When I watch them, I feel like I'm included in the LGBT community. Other times, since I'm still in the closet and everybody just assumes I'm straight, I feel like I'm just a nobody. Like I'm just like everybody else. But I want to stand out. I want to be heard. I want my mom to see me wearing rainbow wristbands and rainbow peace sign necklaces and be confused as to why I'm wearing it. I want people to know who I am. I want to go shopping with my sister and laugh as she points out the most sexy teen girl in the area and begs me to talk to her. But no. Everybody assumes I'm normal. I don't wanna be normal. I wanna be unique.

10. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know a ton. My High school was super pro-gay, so I had gay/lesbian friends in school. I'd say my HS was like 15% gay when I went there. I also made some LGBT friends over the internet on political or sports forums.

In college...hm...I know of LGBT people, but I only have like 1 friend in the community but she isn't really a "friend" and seems to distrust me.

None of my best friends are in the LGBT community though.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my case, it's because I live in a small town, and the small town I live in is the one that happened to make national news over its attempts to have medically accurate, queer-affirmative sex education. The result of that snarl-up was the ultimate failure of that measure, and it was further proof to all of us that Helena is not a safe place for queers. :frowning2:

I do know a few people who are out, but certainly not as many as I would likely know if I lived in say, Missoula or Bozeman. Or in a cool town like Seattle or Portland (which are, ya know, not in Montana).

So, what I think happens is it's hard to live in a small town, but at the same time, it's harder to be queer because it's like 10 times harder for us to find people who are like us. :frowning2:

12. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, my best friend is a bisexual female. Another of my childhood friend is a lesbian. The super smart guy of the school is bisexual, too. There's this only-openly gay guy at school who had crap tons of boyfriends (I asked my best friend how he got them and she said he just asked guys out :S ). There's almost every girl I know that are either lesbian or bisexual... Yup, pretty much more than 10, but they're almost all female :\

13. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

Since I'm not completely out yet, I have to keep my interactions with my LGBTQIA group on the down low but I never regret joining my future Uni's Queer Collective.
    I've made a lot of awesome queer friends~

14. ShyFlame

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I only know of a few LGBTQs, but that number seems to be growing the more I put myself out there (I'm still kinda closeted though). Adding to what others have said, part of the reason that you may not know a lot of LGBTQ community members is because they may not know that they have that connection with you. I, for example, have decided not to tell people unless they ask.

15. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know it's really odd now that I think about it. I know a lot of LGBTQ(alphabet soup etc.) peeps in passing, but very few of them have ever been close despite the fact that I am very much out. Almost all of my friends have been straight as far as know. I think I just feel more support and security with them, because they treat me non-romantically. Over the past few years I have felt an increasing desire to change that and become closer to other LGBTQ people, but so far they seem to keep their distance from me.

16. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you know...i'm having trouble finding an LGBT man alone that does not want to bang me......not that i'm saying or insinuating that "all guys love me" type of crap. As a LGBT individual alone, you would find these kind of emotionally attached people very easily.....i barely have a few that i know i can be level headed with and stay friends.

17. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I know 7 but I don't know if all my friends are straight or not.

18. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

yeah where the queer ppl at, are they all hiding like me or is there a secret club or what..... i dont really know any

19. thekillingmoon

At the moment, none. I knew a few bi women, but alas we didn't keep in touch. The main issue is not knowing where to look. There are cities that have all sorts of lgbt events and venues. If you're unfortunate like me, you live in a place that has nothing. And internet mostly sucks for meeting other gay people.

20. Criss

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know some people at my school, but we're not actually friends. Plus I'm not even out yet so..