1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hesitant to get involved in LGBT groups at school

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by the haunted, Aug 12, 2014.

1. the haunted

So I'm going to a University this semester that has an LGBT group and some LGBT activities going on around campus. Introverted little me is having a hard time mustering up the courage to get myself involved in these things.

I'm mainly afraid of rejection. Afraid of being rejected by a community that I identify with. Because if they don't accept me, then who will?

I'm probably being really ridiculous about this, but I need someone to convince me that it's a good idea to get involved.

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I would assume a LGBT group would, at least, understand and try to avoid rejecting somebody, especially for being, well, part of their group.

It is possible that, you won't be the only newcomer. I'm sure, they go through this, every semester/year. But if you're worried about how they will treat you, just find out who is part of the group, and keep an eye on them. A sneak preview, if you will. Maybe even see what the campus thinks of the group, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

All that said, it is possible for there to be cliques. It tends to happen, in any group. But you won't know, unless you try. Besides, wouldn't it be better to find that out, and go about your merry way than to always wonder? Even if you are, for some ridiculous reason, rejected and kicked out, you can tell yourself, "Well, damn, they just denied themselves an awesome ally."

It can be overwhelming and even scary, but most times, reaching out, tends to be more rewarding afterwards than it is intimidating beforehand.

Ultimately, it is up to you. You can focus on your studies, and yourself, and just be an example on your own. That is always an option. One, I believe, you could do exceptionally well, if your wit and intelligence, around here, is any indication.

3. Candace

I for one accidentally stumbled upon my LGBT alliance on campus. It'll seem scary at first because...you don't think that you're anything like them. But guess what? No two people are alike! You'll find that they're just normal people and you'll have a cool place to hang out. That's what I did when I joined mine. :slight_smile:

4. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't pluck up enough the last time they had a big event. I'm going to make myself, I need to lose my ingrained awkwardness about who I really am.

5. confuseduser99

I feel the same way. I've been closeted the past three years that I've been at college though. I've also had some political spats with some of the more politically involved members.

I'm just scared of going and having other people find out that I'm gay. Although many people think that I'm already gay... Le sigh. maybe I'll pop by one day. It's my last year at college. I've got to make this one count!

6. Abi

Abi Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just be yourself, your lovely