1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do most gay guys give off "a vibe"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by confuseduser99, Aug 13, 2014.

1. confuseduser99

I know some do more than others, but do most of us give off a vibe, especially to other gays?

I just wrapped up a F A C Ebook conversation with someone who used worked a couple office doors down from me. He's an openly gay guy. It was so awkward when he was like "I saw you on (app name removed by mod)... I asked him if he had suspicions that I was gay before that. He said "Oh, I knew you were gay when we used to work at the same place" and that him and his colleague (also a gay guy) thought I was gay. During that time, I was DEEPLY closeted. I actually put on this macho, straight masculine persona at the time in order to "hide" my gayness. Clearly that didn't work...

All throughout my life, people have questioned my orientation (including my own family). So, do a lot of gay guys emanate some sort of vibe that hints at their sexuality?

2. Abi

Abi Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Depends on the person, I don't like to assume stuff though

3. Greeley

My closest friends said they thought i was gay, but thats because ive been with them for like 8 years and theyve never seen me attempt to go for a girl lol.

But no, i'd say not, whoever i tell that im gay too they are always really surprised.
    Also i have the worst gaydar aswell and can barely tell if someone is gay or not.

4. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got mixed responses, my sister was surprised, my friend not so much (probably because I act more like myself) and a bi girl in my class literally kicked down the door of my closet (apparently she suspected me because I never talked about girls)

5. Ridiculous

I'd say the majority do.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some more than others I'd say. I used to think not about myself, but plenty of people have guessed, or speculated that I might be gay, so I must give off some sort of vibe.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This. And a few otherwise wouldn't if it wasn't for the way they accessorize themselves and their type of swagger or saunter,* either contrived or natural.

*One of my friends laughingly uses the word "sashay."

8. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think most don't. Or I have the worst gaydar ever.

9. tulipinacup

I think some people rely on stereotypes when it comes to guessing someone's sexuality. When Wentworth Miller came out in public, I wasn't really shocked at all. I can't really pin point but I always knew he was gay.

10. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will go out on a limb and say yes--but generally only other gay people can pick up on it. I've known several people that pinged my gaydar long before they came out--and, no, I don't think it has much to do with stereotypes...

11. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A lot do, mostly feminine gays, but those who can hide it a bit better are tougher to spot and yet while most of us my say, "I look straight as a bat, no one knew I was gay before coming out. People were surprised" Might be surprised that people aren't as stupid as we think they're, in fact quite observant.

I can't tell you how many people I've talked to that gossip about who's gay and who's not, and the people they target are straight looking gays and bisexuals. It's just they wouldn't say it to your face. In fact, while I may look straight as a bat, some presumed already that I was gay because of a vibe that my not be stereotypical, but was a vibe nonetheless. They were surprised, but knew that I was already giving out hints based on my personality.

12. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say yes. I think I definitively give one, at least, because the new people I met constantly talk about gay subjects. The show pictures of gay guys and say ''don't they look great together?'' or they start singing ''If you were gay, that'd be okay''... I wonder what it is though because I don't think I'm that obvious. Though, I do admit I picked up that vibe on my crush, despite people telling me they think he's straight.

13. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would definitely agree. I’m not really stereotypical gay at all. Straight people are oblivious to me being a homosexual, but with a lot of people gay people they knew it from first sight that I am gay.

14. Ned B

If there is a "vibe," I would agree that other gays are better at picking it up than straight people. When I came out to one gay friend he said he had always suspected as much. Similarly, one of our lesbian friends pegged him as gay three years before he came out. There were a few strange occasions even before I was really out that random people pegged me as gay. On the other hand, many of my straight friends didn't have a clue before I told them.

That said, I think it's important to distinguish between people who are intentionally or semi-intentionally using personality traits or a demeanor that are typically associated with being gay, and those that are just trying to fit in and somehow end up giving a "vibe" anyway.

15. Candace

I feel that some of them do, but some of them are really hard to tell if they're gay or not. It can be a combination of the stereotypical traits that are associated with gay people that these individuals display, or that they may try hard to not appear as gay. Like for me, I don't give off any "vibe" per se, or rather I don't show any stereotypical traits, therefore I don't have to try as hard to mask my sexuality, granted that I want to hide it.

16. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I don't imagine anyone has a hard time telling with me, but I do think that there are a lot more people who don't give off a vibe than those who do.

17. confuseduser99

What is this "vibe" though that isn't stereotypical? I can't seem to think of any that aren't stereotypical (ex. The way I talk can sometimes sound a little gay, also talking with my hands and certain mannerisms/body movement). NONE of these things are quite conscious. In apfact, at the time that I was working with that guy, I was conscious that people had already thought that I was gay, so I would consciously out on more "masculine" actions.

I never used to I genially act gay, yet people were able to guess (straight people included). I don't get it... Why?

Also, one of my friends said "well, you wear a lot of Hollister". Apparently a lot of gay people wear Hollister...

18. Meadowlark17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it depends on the person

19. One Man Army

This.

Maybe a big hint is the fact that we don't check out - or talk about - the opposite sex, when it's expected.

20. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I generally can't tell if someone is gay or lesbian...because being a private person myself, I try to give people their privacy. I only gossip about people if I hate a person or if someone starts that conversation with me.

Most people would never guess I'm questioning my sexuality. In fact, a lot people think I look like "a guy who gets around" with girls, which makes no sense to me since I'm a virgin and never kissed anyone, but whatever.

Some people definitely think something is up (not counting the people I came out too drunk and later recanted)...mainly people who don't like me and see things most people don't see (or want to see).