1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unique baby names. How unique is enough?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlezinwondRland, Aug 13, 2014.

1. AlezinwondRland

So my dream is to have a family and be a stay at home mum, having kids and loving them more than anything else on this planet, is my aspiration. Just like someone might dream of owning their own business, or travelling the world, getting to the top of their career level (long term and main aspiration for life)
    I'm a hippy though. An I hate conformity. And when I name every one of my tykes I will be giving them their lifelong identity. The name I choose will be their lifetime identity- so for me I couldn't call them something commonly used or "normal" .
    I like the names Blue, Summer, Alexis, Paz and Rebel for a girl and River, Kai, Paz, Cub, jessye for a boy. That's only a few! And most of these aren't as unusual as Iv liked before.
    My partner however doesn't want something too out there. She likes alexis, summer and Jessye but anything weirder than that she says nope!
    What would your baby names be? Unusual or not? How unique a name would be your limit and what sort of names can anyone suggest may be unique but not overly strange or mad. Help me compromise guys! And please share your thoughts and answers to questions above!
    Cheers :slight_smile: peace!

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally like older names that have fallen out of fashion like Whitney, Norman etc.

If I were to name a kid, I'd want it something so that there is not five other kids in their class with that name, yet not something that is unpronounceable or that would give the kid grief their whole life.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly hate the idea of strange names. In the unlikely event that I ever have children, they will not be named something like Kahrleigh (a girl I went to high school with) or Kyler.

That kid would be named something completely common, like Jake. Or Matthew. I want them to have a real name, not something nobody's ever heard of.

4. Candace

I'd rather give them a name that's common than uncommon and unpronounceable. I personally like the names Lily, Grace, Elijah, and Kathryn. :slight_smile:

5. the haunted

Although I don't want children, I like unique names as well as some traditional names.

Some names I like:
    Scarlett
    Jade
    Olivia
    Alexander
    Jaxon
    Xavier

6. AlezinwondRland

I get that keeping the name common and pronounceable and something which won't cause your child any grief is important- but identity is too! I really like the name rebel, because it means she is named after the act of fighting for what you believe in. If the name was a bit unsusual but with a meaning behind it would that be different in you guys eyes?

---------- Post added 14th Aug 2014 at 02:10 AM ----------

I like xavier! And Alexander is cute. :slight_smile:

7. Tyrael

I quite like the idea of uncommon names but not overly mad ones. A girl I know named her child Phoenix, to me that just isn't fair. You're setting them up for life and I think it would be nice to give them a name that is unique but not enough that it would be considered odd. I personally would like to take my mad name ideas out on myself, just change my name and get it out my system lol.

I like Vincent for a boy and Lisa or Harley for a girl.

8. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Alexandra is also a possibility... with lots of included names as abbreviations.. sandy, alex, lexi, etc...

If you look up "normal" names there are often quite colourful explanations...

Ash, Ally, Ember, Heather sound quite pleasing...

9. AlezinwondRland

I think this is the thinking behind my partners disagreements with some names I suggest. And I get that. But yet I also wouldn't want 4 or 5 others in their class with the same name. For me that would feel like they had less of their own identity- not sure why but it would feel that way ! This is why I need compromising names lol. Ones which are unique and uncommon, with meanings behind them - but also that she would agree on in regards to if they'd become bullied at school, given grief, made to stand out more and feel discriminated against even more than having same sex parents might already make them

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A *little* unique is what you're trying for. Overly common and it's boring and doesn't breed much sense of identity as I see it. But overly uncommon and your kid will wish for a normal name because they can't relate to others and deal with mispronunciations on an hourly basis.

My favorite names are "normal" enough, but not frequently used anymore so are slightly striking. At least to my own sensibilities.

11. AlezinwondRland

Harley for a girl is awesome! I might steal that one !
    Although to be honest I do like Phoenix... Lol

---------- Post added 14th Aug 2014 at 02:22 AM ----------

The child's second name would be Furey which limits and changes what suits.
    Blue Furey sounds naff, whilst alexis furey sounds like a marvel character. Summer or rebel furey I think sound nice together.

---------- Post added 14th Aug 2014 at 02:23 AM ----------

^ ember is beautiful ^

12. Tyrael

Haha well it's an interesting name. Another one was Lazarus, but again I feel that's maybe too much. Phoenix Furey would be a cool superhero name though :grin:

13. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew

14. otter

I love unique names, but my friend was telling me about this guy in her online school class and his name was, I kid you not, "Godremembers." All one word. Don't name your child something like that.

15. AlamoCity

I don't have a problem with parents who think outside of the box, but would prefer that any "unique" name be a middle name, rather than the first name.

One issue I see with giving certain unique names is that it can be a hurdle in their life in that it might subject them to stereotypes, if the name is too "unique."

If I were to see someone who had a "free-spirited" name, I'd probably think their parents were a bit "out there" :lol:. I'd have images of their parents in tie-dye clothes and a VW hippie van :lol:.

However, with names, I might be a bit biased because the most "out there" name in my family is probably my cousin, Aidan.

16. stormborn

i like unique names, but i share the feeling of other members of not wanting to mess this child up. i also don't like names that have a ton of ways to spell them (having been cursed with one myself).

some of my favourite baby names are: elliot, skye, storm, lennon, kai, raiden, indiana... i'd like to give my child one of our "family middle names" which are definitely not common, so i might have to tone it down a little on their first name :lol:

17. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am all for unique names for kids, if I ever did have a kid or two I'd want them to have a unique name, cause, no kid of mine is going to be a "normal" kid.

Personally I like the name "Echo" for a girl and, something that's a little bit more common for a boy, "Devin"

If I ever did have kids, (most likely adopted) I'd want a girl and a boy, Echo and Devin :slight_smile:

18. adrianislander

i'm sticking to the tradition we have on our island, give them an "english" name and a traditional palauan name. and i can tell you those names can get pretty interesting.

19. Maeve

I like unique names with a rich history. I like Greek and mythological names in particular. Minerva, Cosima, Isolde, Caspian, Evander, Orion etc.

20. AlezinwondRland

^ what the feck?? Godremembers. Sounds like an anti-masturbation slogan, poor kid.
    No I wouldn't be that extreme with names. Lots suggested here Iv liked before, "echo" in particular :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 14th Aug 2014 at 07:08 AM ----------

Orion is nice :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 14th Aug 2014 at 07:11 AM ----------

^ I have an 8 year old fish called Lazarus because he died and came back to life.
    It would be the old thing where a name reminds you of someone else you know, except when I call my kids name il think of a pot bellied goldfish that had a near miss with the toilet being flushed