1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long distance relationships

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by That one guy, Aug 14, 2014.

1. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of my friends recently got into a long distance relationship with a girl in Canada but another friend was sceptical about if it will last long.

What do you think about long distance relationships and would you be in one?

2. White Knight

I don't get involved in long distance relationship. They seem kinda fake for my taste... like roleplaying a relationship instead of living one.

Tho meeting on a vacation or trip, starting relationship but get seperated... and similar situations are different as there are some face to face time. I think I need to touch the person to claim we are in a relationship.

3. wdtgg

Out Status:
    A few people
    I was in a long distance relationship. We were together 3 years, we saw each other as often as we could, of course in a relationship one wants to be with the other person all the time, to be able to hug them and so on whenever one can, but I think that if there's love and a will to make it work, it can work, but it requires a lot of trust, patience and communication, not saying on a non-LDR that's not required. I wasn't looking for a relationship, it just happened. And I totally understand that some people don't trust those relationships or those can't work for them. White Knight, yes some them can be a fake, but non-LDR can be faked aswell, one can see a partner just on the happy days so you don't know about the day when your partner is not that happy, can be seen also as a fake one. Mine failed kinda because of that, I wanted to visit that person when wasn't on holidays but my partner would make up excuses that I'd be bored, plus I realized that regarding some things that are important to me were very different than my partner's. So I'm not sure I'd be in a LDR again, and if I were to be in one again, I'd like to be able to see that person more often.

4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been in one for nine months and I'll be in it for as long as she'll have me. We've met up a few times this summer, including a weekend when she came to stay at my house, but other than that it's all been long-distance. Communication and trust is paramount.

Both of my previous relationships ended after three months because of a brief period of long-distance. Being away from the physical attraction made me realize that there was nothing there mentally. Like when I went away for spring break while I was dating my HS boyfriend and we had barely anything to talk about the entire time I was gone.

Long-distance relationships are hard but they can work if both parties do their part.

5. I'm in a long distance relationship with my girlfriend who is also from Canada - And today is our three month anniversary! <3

But I think that when we chat and talk and everything, it is absolutely amazing. I wish we could be there with each other in person, but when we get to talk a lot, I don't mind. However, I did and still do have some struggles with a LDR - For example, if we don't chat enough, sometimes I get insecure - But yes, it's definitely about trust, patience, and communication. I told her one time that I thought she didn't like me because she wasn't really responding back at me at all for a while - Like she has a habit of pushing people away sometimes if she's upset instead of talking it out with me - But when I told her, she cleared everything up and now we are back to good! We are supposed to meet at KCON next August, but that's only if we both get "yes" from our parents to go the convention (we only got "maybes" from our parents so far). I also feel like it's hard to learn more and more about each other through a LDR - I don't get to be with her everyday in school and watch how she reacts to everything and I honestly miss out on a lot because I'm there in Canada with her... But as long as we keep communicating and stuff, I connect more and more with her.

So, yeah, that's my experience in an LDR - I'm sure you'll friend will make it though if they, like the others are saying, trust each other, communicate, and have patience!

6. Candace

I was in a long distance relationship with someone from Brazil. Of course it didn't last because of his job, me having to go complete my degree, and the distance. I felt like I could trust him with not cheating on me, but maybe I was too naïve, I don't know. If there was an assurance that he would come visit me on a frequent basis and vice-versa, then I might have considered continuing the relationship with him. But instead, we had an amicable split.

7. White Knight

I think I should address that "fake" issue I mentioned.

I didn't mention it about other side. Without physical contact I friendzone people very fast and hard. So even they were attracted to me sexually still I found myself "faking it" so it lead to stop talking with them.

I remember from our younger days that there were people who fell in love via letters, no talking online or seeing each other on the cam.

Everyone of us live their emotions on different levels so anything is possible.

8. Blossom85

I actually met my ex girl online through role play and our feelings in real life for each other grew stronger each day. She lives in America and I in Australia. We were planning on meeting and planning a future together... I think online long distance dating is acceptable as long as you are both honest and open about what you want and don't want from the relationship.. I could never be in a long distance online relationship if there was never any intension to meet one day. It is hard and that is why my ex broke it off, cause it was too hard for her emotionally and it was draining on both of us cause we wanted to be with each other and to be able to be intimate physically as well as emotionally.